Post your 32er here

Here’s mine.

Qu-ax 36" frame, clamp, and yellow 48 hole hub.
Nimbus 137mm VentureII cranks, pedals, seat post and modified saddle.
Kent rim, tire, tube, and rim strip, purchased directly from Kent.
UDC Stainless spoke nipples.
It appears to weigh 15 lbs. by my non-scientific “weigh self, weigh self holding unicycle, do the math” method.
Very satisfying to ride, smooth and stable. Thanks to all who paved the way.

Does a 32" wheel feel more like a 29er, or a 36er?

Like everything else unicycle-related, that evaluation is very subjective. My own take on it is, it “handles like a small wheel, rides like a big wheel.” What that means is that, unlike a 36’r, it is very maneuverable. I can ride it in crowds or tight quarters with no problem. (When I had a 36’r, I never felt really comfortable on it, like I wasn’t really in control all the time. I would always mentally go through a ride route and try to plan ahead how to handle or avoid “problem” areas. I don’t blame the 36’r for this, this undoubtedly had to do with my own lack of riding skills and experience.) I ride the 32 with confidence wherever I want. So in that sense, it’s more like a 29".

Having said that, the wheel size is also big enough to cover distances handily, particularly with short cranks, and/or a geared hub. I use M4O 110/130/150 cranks and a Schlumpf hub, and enjoy riding along next to my wife on her bicycle for 10-20 mile rides (occasionally 30) without any issues. For me it was a perfect fit, and I eventually sold my 36’r.

While the 32" size probably isn’t for everyone, it works very well for me, and I’m very happy with it. The build itself was somewhat challenging, but coming from a mechanical engineering background, design and fabrication were not daunting to me. The finished product was well worth it.

Nightrider 32

Having tested the new Nightrider 32 I can officially say “it’s awesome” :slight_smile: there are pics on my Facebook page if you want to see it :smile:

Oh my. I need this in my life as soon as possible.

Not being able to turn corners properly on this Kent tyre is getting on my nerves.

How do I get one/when?

Per Roger in this thread: Introducing... (the bar has been set)

Easter time.

I am also looking forward to this.
I’m really glad to see that some development effort has been going on “behind the scenes” on this wheel size. I was starting to think there would just be us few outliers that tried it early on, then nothing after that. Personally, I like this size, and I think it may make “big wheel” riding more accessible/appealing to a lot of people. (Just my opinion, of course.)

I also love the size but increasingly hate the Kent tyre.
If I let the pressure down then it drags and doesn’t turn at all, if I pump it up then it turns better but is like a rock and seriously twitchy. As a commuter it’s not ideal.

I’d better get saving! Maybe UDC/Roger will sell me one at BJC 2016.

Yeah it’s cool that UDC are putting serious effort into testing and prototyping new sizes. Maybe I’ll try a fatty at some point too!

:):):slight_smile: I went ahead and ordered a 32" bike from walmart instead of re-building my frankentire. The bike is because I don’t want to wait for easter but this tire gives me way more confidence that 32 is here to stay. I wonder if the bike people will adopt them as skinny wheels on a 29+.

If it’s not too late, you can order the tire and wheel combo direct from Kent. I got the whole assembly, shipped to L.A., for $70. Pretty reasonable.

I e-mailed them 3 times over a period of a couple years, no response any time. I am not sure if it’s because I mention shipping to Canada…

Either one of those may have been the issue. They are really old-school, and while I do 99.9% of my business dealings via email or the web, I called them on the phone and ordered it. No problems that way!

Where did you get the saddle bag from and how is it fitted?

Mike

For how it’s mounted, see here.
It’s not ideal as the rack slopes downwards quite a bit at the back. As I mention in that post, the bag’s slope stops it looking too bad but anything heavy that you put in it ends up right at the back unless you pack it in with clothing, which isn’t ideal.

A lot of people seem to now use these.

As to what bag it is, I can’t actually remember at the moment but it started falling apart quite quickly so I’d not recommend it. Any small rack mountable bag should work well.

Edit: Apologies, I should have read the actual post you were referencing.

It’s a Vaude top tube bag like this.
It’s mounted on the frame/seatpost and the bottom of my T-bar. As I don’t have the bars out very far and I never cut it down, it gives me that ‘top tube’ to attach to. I also have my front light battery attached on the top there as you can see in the picture.

No don’t apologise - you have given me some excellent ideas there :grinning:

Mike

New 32 tyre tested

Finally got round to putting a video together of testing the new Nimbus 32

What’s the actual outside diameter of a 32’’ wheel? Might need a faster commuter that isn’t as huge as a 36’’ :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve measured my 32’s rolling circumference at 2500mm, so approximately 800mm diameter.

The Nimbus is 32" diameter, but the Kent is only 31 1/2". The tire is a little narrower than the Nightrider, also. The biggest difference is the cost. It costs about $75 for the whole wheel/tire combo shipped from Kent in New Jersey. If you already have a 48-hole hub, this may be worth looking into. (I’ve read elsewhere that the stock spokes fit the new application, but I haven’t personally tried this.)
Cheers!

To clarify, my measurements were for the Nimbus rim and original Nimbus Nightrider tyre (the new lite version is slightly larger as I understand it).
800mm is basically 31.5". I do run it with relatively low pressures though so pumped up hard you’d probably get a rolling circumference of 32", especially with the new tyre.

The Kent wheel works with the original spokes in a 4 cross pattern with the Qu-Ax 48 hole ISIS hub.

I’d recommend anyone thinking about getting a 32" to ignore the Kent wheel now though. The rim, spokes, and tyre are all pretty crap compared to the Nimbus offering.

Awesome thanks! Will keep you guys posted if it ever happens!