Pictures of your latest ride continued

I see you don’t have the front pad to lean against. Is the first metal hoop replacing that?

No, the first hoop/handle is only used temporarily when mounting. It makes holding the uni for mounting similar to a normal front saddle handle and allows me to ride without hands on any handle till the removable front pad is in place.

Took advantage of a window between rainstorms to get a ride in on a nice paved bike trail nearby. This was my first significant ride since swapping my 150mm cranks for 3-hole cranks @ 125mm a couple days ago. Took a bit to get used to the higher seat position, and the higher resistance probably contributed to struggling and having to dismount on some steeper hills. As expect though, flats felt a bit faster. A surprise benefit was that free-mounting feels a bit more predictable with the higher resistance.

5 Likes

First uni-ride for about half a year; had to see if I still could. So I went out on a spontaneous 1½ hour ride. We have some lovely scenery here close to the ocean, but I didn’t really want to stop for pictures.
It’s funny how I (almost) always need a few tries getting on the 36" when I set out. But after riding a bit I usually jump on right away.

Still fun to turn some heads :slight_smile:

(I’m on the uni still, taking this selfie.)

10 Likes

Had a bit of a frustrating ride this morning… my weather app said there would be a light wind but there was actually a gale blowing. I rode anyway but it made for a tough ride.

7 Likes

Some more pictures from my Iceland trip

Sorry there are not more with actual cycling. Though it was a lovely place to cycle.

19 Likes

That’s beautiful! :exploding_head:

1 Like

Wow, what a trip!
That’s somewhere I’d live to visit.

1 Like

My usual Thursday after work ride, but since the clocks went back an hour last weekend in the UK it is now pitch black by 5.30pm…grrrr

10 Likes

Another nice day by the lake. Today it was snowing a bit, but during this ride a couple of days ago the weather was perfect.

10 Likes

Beautiful photos, Ruari! Surely there is one you will submit to @Klaas_Bil for the 2023 calendar? (I realize I am making a selfish assumption, @Klaas_Bil !) :grin:

1 Like

The assumption being that there will be a calendar for next year? That is my intention indeed

3 Likes

The wind has been hectic here lately and this morning I had to give up riding at the beach, so I headed home and rode around my neighbourhood which made for a pleasant change.

6 Likes

Another fall ride.

Unfortunately I did not get a photo but today was the first time in over 60 years of uni riding that I used it to herd cattle. A neighbor’s cows got out on the road and I help heard them back into captivity with my unicycle. I have previously herded cattle on foot and with a horse but the unicycle actually worked quite well. The cows are not really afraid of it but when riding directly toward them and making a bunch of noise, they take notice.

13 Likes

Took out my KH24 after a long time. Took out my riding buddy after a long time. Went out for a ride in nice weather.

10 Likes

I love my 29" for long days but something about the 24" just makes me happy inside.

2 Likes

I’ve had cattle run along the fence beside me when I’ve been on the road with my 32". I’ve had the same with my recumbent trike and bike too but I can’t remember that with a conventional bike (I was going to say “ordinary bicycle” there, but that is something else and they might get interested in one of those!)

They get curious when they see something unusual – it probably says something when cattle think you are bit of a spectacle – no wise cracks from them though :grinning:

1 Like

As summer rolls in I’m able to ride earlier, so by 5am I was up and out of the house and took this pic just after 6 as I was ending my ride

12 Likes

Cows are underappreciated as animals. They are really very sweet.

2 Likes

Managed to get an entry ticket on the day for the “Sold Out” 40th annual MS Gong Ride from Sydney to Wollongong on Sunday.

10,000 entries raised 2.5million AUD for Multiple Sclerosis research.
Would have been happy to get to half way, but struggled through the springtime heat to make it to the end.
There were multiple rest stops along the 79km route.

Really interesting to be overtaking all cyclists (at the back of the pack) on the long shallow up hill sections only to have them over take me again on the downhills when I’m riding the brake.

Due to Cycling accidents and police creating ques on the steep descents from Waterfall Station, I took the train option for 19.4km to Otford Station.
That saved me, being my first time riding more than 40km in a day.

Was totally exhausted in last 20km mostly from the heat. Needed 5-10min rest stops - flat on my back in the shade at the bottom of 3 minor hills.
Had no aches or rashes, Castelli cycle shorts worked a treat.
Surprisingly no sore muscles next day.

Uni-Packing on my mind…

16 Likes