part on camera to screw it onto tripod broken

Hey, so a few weeks ago I broken the bottom part of my camera off that allows it to connect to the tripod screw. Just to repeat, it’s the camera connector that’s broken, not the tripod connector. Yes, part of my tripod is broken but tape easily fixes that but it doesn’t help my camera. I have to put tape on over and over again on my camera to keep the broken part on so I was wondering: Has anybody else had this problem and what should be done to fix this? Pictures are at the bottom here to explain what happened to my camera.

find a nut, i think the right size is 1/4 inch, and glue it to the bottom of the camera with some really strong stuff :slight_smile: there you have a new tripod mount!

I can’t see quite well enough, but is that the part with the threads lying on the table? If it is (and I think it is), then go to Lowe’s and buy a small, 2 part epoxy kit for about $2. Looks like the empty spaces behind the broken piece contain no electronic parts, which is good. Mix up the epoxy and gob it into the void. Thread a screw into the broken piece and stick it in hole and hold for a minute - presto - camera fixed. Epoxy is much better (stronger) than Super Glue. Try to keep the epoxy away from the screw because it will forever be fused to the camera.

superglue ducktape and jbweld fixes everything

I would get a 1/4x20 tee nut with holes for small screws. Don’t worry about the screws because the holes will be there to hold the epoxy. You may need to resize the existing hole to fit the Tee nut, but in any case you want a snug fit. Put some epoxy on the outside of the tee nut and slide it into the hole on your camera. The epoxy will squeeze out a bit so just wipe it off before it sets and you should be good to go. If you are clever about it you may even be able to do it in such a way that the camera can be opened again later on without hassle.

Something like that happened on my camera…

I superglued the camera to the tripod bolt thing… then when it set i twisted the camera off… The glue set in the shape of threads, so now my camera has new threads made of super glue :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sure if that solves your problem, but yeah :slight_smile:

+1, get a nut

I had this problem, I used super glue and now it works, no more problems! I love super glue and tape :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

This looks a lot like a JC topic, doesn’t it?

Cyanoacrylates like SuperGlue have a shear strength of about 2000 psi and good, 24-hour cure epoxies (Armstrong A-12 for example) have shear strengths of about 6000 psi under ideal conditions. Epoxies are strong on their own but cyanoacrylates only have the capability to bond, they can’t be used as fillers. Thousands of psi of shear strength sounds like a lot but let’s look at your camera.

The area you can bond with a cyanoacrylate looks like it might be about 1/8 inch square or 1/64 of a square inch. Say it’s about 1/50. Then your 2000 psi cyanoacrylate will yield with about 40 pounds of shear. Still sound like a lot? Let’s say you mount it on your tripod and apply a force at the top of the camera 4 inches from the glue joint. The lever arm from the glue joint to the center of the tripod stud is about 1/4 inch. You have a mechanical advantage of 16 and all of a sudden a 2.5 pound bump on the top of the camera pops that glue joint open.

The epoxy will be somewhat better because the fill has integral strength. It’s harder to handle but if you can get some of the epoxy to undercut the break zone of the camera it is no longer just bonding. It’s now forming a piece that grabs the bottom surface of the break zone like mortar and it bonds the break surface as well.

The best solution, and the ugliest, was already mentioned by AlisterBurt. Epoxy a 1/4-20 (standard thread for a tripod) nut onto the bottom of the camera…or anywhere you want to on the camera. A flanged nut would be even better because it has a large surface area.

I know you’re not going to appreciate this suggestion but here goes anyway:

Use this problem as an excuse to buy a new camera. One with metal threads for the tripod.

All the cameras I ever had used metal for the tripod mount… Consider one of these low-priced cameras; might be an upgrade! :slight_smile:

Best suggestion yet.

Glue a nut to the base, or get a new camera. Plastic threads will fail eventually, not matter how careful you are.

Get a Canon t3i