oww my "boys" (handlebars?)

dudes… this is ridiculous. i have barely ridden around the block a few times. when you use handlebars do they help take weight off the saddle area? if not, maybe sit ion an ice pack?

You have to learn to place them :wink: All of us unicyclist aren’t sitting on them, after a while they will do it by themselves :stuck_out_tongue: But the handlebar helps a little bit, but not alot, I used mine because my hands get tired of staying up all the time, it helps to relax my hands.

Balls in front! Whenever I get on, it’s like a quick subconscious backwards sweeping move to put my boys in the proper position

gotta scoop your children up and keep’em in front haha

Cycle shorts are a big help too. You can use them to help with padding and positioning.

They will learn to ‘auto retract’ to the proper position over time.
As for the bars you can get some relief if you push down on them whilst riding. This relieves some of the pressure fromt the saddle, but lots of riding is the only way to become accustomed.

made an addition, it’s important that you don’t repeatedly hurt your “special friends” or it might discourage you from riding.

depending on what pants I am wearing, I am either to the left side, or up in front. I am not using a good seat at the moment since I am still waiting for a seat post (LBS is pretty damned useless sometimes… still waiting for a clamp for a computer on a bike that was stolen LAST FALL!)

i have the kris holms gel… the basic one from udc. is that a good one? i am going to invent a saddle with a “nutsack” and hope they don’t ripped off in a wipeout!

Jaco’s handlebar must not be set for riding comfort. For me, the handlebar helps A LOT. But this is only true if some of your weight is on it, which is not possible with a too-neutral handlebar height (like the T-7). I like mine low.

Get a (at least one) pair of good bike shorts (not the cheapies). They’ll pay for themselves in happiness!

And most of all, give it some time for your body to adapt. It will all get easier.

my uni came with a kh street, and it feels pretty damned good, but I don’t have it mounted because I don’t have a seatpost yet. I am usign a seat from a crusty old norco. it is thick and very cusiony, so it squishes the boys like nobodies business. I’m used to small hard XC seats, so the KH seems like it will be a much better fit once I get my post. which KH seat do you have, the street or the paddier one?

as far as digging a spot for your package, that could be a bad idea. when I tuck to the side, a sudden jerk to the side gives a sudden compression that I don’t apreciate. if my boys were cradled in a groove, sliding left or right could have terrible results I would think!

they do have an air cushion for KH seats that fits under the cover that are about $20, you may want to give that a try.

honestly though, like getting used to a bike saddle, I think it just takes time. when I got my first bike as an adult, my seat bones were so sore after my first ride that I couldn’t sit down on the toilet. after a week of gritting my teeth and bearing it, my butt got used to it. I would only use a gel cover or an air cushion as a last resort

so which bar do you use?

I have the new Nimbus handle (Stealth?) on my new road uni. Like it. I use the curved piece, curved downward and all the way forward. I’ve recently been noticing you get a bit of suspension from long, flexy handles. It’s indirect, but if it takes some of the shock away from the crotch, it can’t be a bad thing.

My older Coker has a custom handle on it, also with a low position. I also used the Coker Pi Bar for a while on my V2, and I thought it was great due to the huge range of positions it can do. You just have to keep it where your knees don’t interfere with the front part.

I’ve also tried the KH T-bar, which is also very nice. It also has a nice range of adjustbility and built-in suspension.

I had a horrible time with the “boys” when I was first learning to ride. The first major help was buying my KH Freeride saddle, it helped tons! Seeing as how I’m a straight up distance rider, I needed all the help I could get here, so the next thing I purchased was a good set of bike shorts. Let me be very clear, this is one of the best things you can invest in, so make sure you don’t skimp here… Buy the absolute best you can, your junk WILL thank you!
I also bought a KH Touring bar thinking that would help as well… Sadly, it doesn’t help a great deal, but it does offer a minor relief at times. I upgraded (some may say downgraded) to a T7 touring bar and found that offered greater relief for me at times, it may just be how I ride.
I will say this though, a handlebar won’t be the major thing that fixes this problem for you, a new saddle and shorts, as well as just toughening up your taint will be your best bets. All that being said, I can’t imagine ever riding without a handlebar ever again! It really does make a big difference as far as stability (once you get used to it), control, hill climbing, and upper body fatigue. I can’t recommend one enough!

thanks for all the advice. i bought bike shorts today. they did help. . i also tried to tackle my first hill. i did not make it. i was hoping that bars might help with hills, and you confirmed it. i am definitely buying one. the question now is which.

johnfoss - is the handle you use the “shadow”?

http://www.unicycle.com/unicycle-hardware/nimbus-shadow-handle-set/

Well learning to ride flat ground is different than learning to ride up hills, and learning to ride down hills. It’s a whole different way of treating the pedals for both situations.

You’ll enjoy those bike shorts.

I just got my KH T-Bar handle and I love it. You have to fix it if you get it because of a known problem. But all you need is a drill to do that and once it’s fixed it’s awesome.

You shouldn’t have to if it’s a new one, they fixed the problem in the latest KH bar.

Handlebars make distance possible for me, especially when I’m carrying weight. I don’t particularly like the t-7, but I do think it gets an overly-bad chance. It was my first bar, and took me on a little 4700km jog with a 40-lb backpack. (I didn’t have bike shorts, but that’s another story). Would not have been remotely possible without some kind of handlebar. I added some mountain-bike bar-ends that faced down, which helped a ton.

I’m putting all my weight behind (or rather, on?) the handlebar as the best investment for this problem. I now do long rides with triathlon aero-bar mounted on my KH t-bar. It’s really amazing. I was able to consistently do 20-40km stretches without break on my last tour. I did snap the t-bar a couple days before the end. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best I know of.

Yeah, proper shorts do help, significantly. Get those too. If I had to pick one though, handlebar, no question.