Oregon "Lite"

The super fat 3.8 Larry tire is great for snow and sand; not so good for MUni because of its propensity to “self-steer”. So I had an Ardent 26x 2.6 that I wasn’t using, and now I have a 26er for extreme MUni!

Although this tire is 1.2" narrower it’s still plenty wide and stout to take on tech terrain and do sizable drops. And the difference in handling is dramatic! And it’s way easier to maneuver than the Larry and feels as solid and stable as my 24 with LM rim and 3" wide tire, and it’s faster too!

That’s a great looking uni, how big does that ardent measure out to be on the LM??

Almost exactly 2.6".

I tried that last year, works okay, it’s about the narrowest tire that’ll run safely on the LM rim, but it’s not all that great for muni due to being stretched tight between the sidewalls, so it’s very flat and not particularly “supple”. It’s so strtched that the sideall are vertical and don’t really protect the rim.

I liked the Duro 3" on the LM better, but then it’s twice as heavy.

As Terry commented in the Knard thread, it be cool if we had a 26 x 3" Kard like tire :slight_smile:

I’m hoping Surly and others see the “shoulder season” and dry weather opportunities for fat wheels to run mid fat tires, it could really expand our 3" tire choices, esp in the lightweight tire genre.

In the meantime you can get a 29" wheel for an Oregon and run a 3" Knard :smiley:

The squid frame works great on my Nimus 36er, but on my 26inch muni I adjust the saddle
height a lot. Anything from 110mm cranks to 165mm cranks depending on the

terraine.

Would the short neck on the squid frame accommodate this ??

The squid frame works great on my Nimus 36er, but on my 26inch muni I adjust the saddle
height a lot. Anything from 110mm cranks to 165mm cranks depending on the

terraine.

Would the short neck on the squid frame accommodate this ??

I see how well it flattens the tire, but it looks like you loose some of the cushon for a flatter profile

I’m on the fence about wide rims (KH - Surly) - in some ways I prefer Nimbus rims even though you can’t get them drilled.

Took her out for a proper MUni test, and it performed like a champ with the Ardent 2.6. No self-steering issues like I had with the Larry and there is plenty of volume for drops and negotiating technical terrain.

Also encountered a baby gopher snake basking right in the middle of the trail and almost ran him over. Took a few pics then let him go in the deep brush out of harm’s way.

org1.JPG

orgdrop.JPG

org2.JPG

snake2.JPG

How much does the Ardent weight in 26 x 2.6 ?
Do you know the ETRTO for this tire ?

I don’t find it on the Maxxis site there is only the 2.4 in 26 and 29 :frowning:

I had some good success on a LM rim with a Specialized Purgatory UST 26x2.40 (only 790g) and I have a Continental Diesel 26x2.5 on the way that should be the same weight…

Have you guys tried a Surly Nate (3.8") or Knard (3.8") with the Oregon yet? I’m doing a lot of fat-biking right now and really like my Nate (rear), Larry (front) combination. Have no idea how either would be on a unicycle! Perhaps some day…

I’m pretty sure Josh (UDC) has re-spec’d the Oregon with the Nate, and so I’m not sure how it handles on the trail. But from what I’ve been reading, it’s not the tread design so much as the enormous width that makes it hard to handle and maneuver, as the super fat tires tend to throw you off your line.

Check posts 25-30 of the Fat Tire Review Thread. Ben has a few posts on the Knard (mixed?), and unigoat chimes in on the Nate (great in slick/snow conditions, too much grip in dry).

I have looked into running a surly rim in my nimbus but the nimbus rim is so strong but wide and cheap :smiley:

The thread title got my hopes up that Terry had gotten a sneak preview of the new Oregon. :stuck_out_tongue: The rumors have me wondering if UDC spec’d a Marge Lite as standard and I’m really curious to see if that’s the case (which would mean they think it’s strong enough for general muni use).

Check posts 25-30 of the Fat Tire Review Thread. Ben has a few posts on the Knard (mixed?), and unigoat chimes in on the Nate (great in slick/snow conditions, too much grip in dry).

The only thing wrong with the nimbus rims is their weight. If I had the money, I’d put a KH rim of my next uni, but theres no point really as there are MTB rims that are even lighter.

It find it lighter than some. I dont like the kh rim because i have split more than one of them. Most light MTB rims wouldnt last a hour for muni

Uh, are you building you own wheels? How low is your tire pressure? That really shouldn’t be a huge issue.

The issue with most light MTB rims on unicycles is not the strength, it’s the width (or rather narrow-ness). The current trend in light MTB wheels has been to go for as narrow a rim as possible and still fit a 2.2 or 2.0 tire on there. That is not what we’re going for on unis.

I rebuilt my kh 29er to a 700c using a 24mm wide velocity dyad rim and 45mm wide resist nomad tire, and it’s solid as a rock for road riding. Then I decided to try it offroad with a continental race king 29 x 2.0, and it performed amazingly well over all kinds of terrain, and the rim stayed true. I’d say it’s a great rim for XC MUni, and way lighter than the standard rim/tire setup.

Well, yeah. I don’t think I’d full on muni such a narrow rim but for XC…