Oregon "Lite"

I still have the original KH wheelset, and with it I’ve done some fairly big drops and ridden it on extremely technical terrain. But while it can be used in this way, the the larger diameter rim and narrower, lower volume tires are no match for the KH 24 for full-on MUni. The 29er is best suited for city commuting and xc-type trail riding. But since riding it with the 700c wheelset, it has become the quintessential road climber and is now one of my very favorite unis. It had been collecting dust since getting my G26er a couple years ago, which took the place of my 29er for its speed and versatility.

I am glad to hear that the self steering problem of the Larry is common and not just me. I really like riding the Oregon, but it definitely wants to go its own way. It makes a good workout, being heavier and stubborn to steer.I wonder how the Oregon/Ardent mix compares to the KH 26/Ardent? Is there any advantage or is it just another 26" Muni?

The main difference besides the frame is the LM rim, which is great for rolling over stuff with ease and taking big impact drops with both rider and uni rolling away unscathed.

Here she is in action at “Dead Cow” trail. Shot 3/17/13

I beg to differ. I’ve found that the bigger wheel lets me roll over stuff much easier. The weight difference is not all that much different if the 24 has a duro wildlife leopard. I find the 29er just as manoeuvrable in technical downhill and much faster. As for drops I would say the 29er is almost easier because you don’t have to pedal out as fast on steep landings due to the bigger wheel. I landed a ~7 ft drop first try on the 29er that I could never get on the 24.

Just my 2 ¢

As Terry is finding, the Large Marge rim is too wide for anything smaller than a 3" tire. I have run some very thick casing 2.5" DH tires (Intense) and the rim really overstretches the tire and causes it to fold.

The Larry, like all Surly 4" tires, tends to suffer from autosteer, it’s the casing they use, I have ridden more than a few Surly fat tires and they all have the same habit, regardless of pressure or tread design.

My fav fat tire remains the Vee Rubber Devist8or, though a very heavy tire at 1850gm, it is the best fat tire for ride quality, traction, and stability. No problems with side hills, no autosteer, and it has awesome sidewall support.

Vee Rubber is releasing a new tire called the Float, it’s being sold through On One bikes in the uk, Realease date is mid April, suggested weight is ~1500gm, so still heavy but on par with a Duro Wildlife.

In terms of the Oregon and versatility, I don’t know that any other muni has a comparable list of features, between the wide/tall frame that will accomodate the fattest/tallest 26’ to 29" tires, a disc brake, a super wide hub, strong dual hoop frame, and the ability to quick change wheels, it is a great muni!

I have two wheels now, a 29 x 42mm and a 26 x 65mm, planning on building a 29 x 35mm (P35 Rim) and a 29 x 50mm (Rabbit Hole) once the 32 hole hubs arrive.

@ David,

The new Oregon may come with a 32 hole hub and a Marge lite rim, but don’t be upset if it’s not changed. Josh said he wanted the Nate to be the spec tire, but things can change depending on when the revisions are made and when the product is placed in to production. Shipping takes months, so all changes are quite delayed just for that reason alone.

You can request changes, a different wheel like the Surly Rabbit Hole 29 x 50mm or even a KH 26 x 47mm (this might work for a 4" tire and be better for narrower tires), you just need to ask and be prepared to pay a wheel build fee.

Custom “V” covers! :slight_smile:

How’d you make that?

RC aircraft Mylar, iron and heat gun.

Cool! Do you know if the heat affected the paint?

Didn’t seem to. Powder coating is pretty hard unlike spray painted surfaces.

Terry, you have far too much free time on your hands :roll_eyes:

Yep, but it wasn’t “free”. I’ve earned it! :smiley: