Opinions on best 36er

Mad4One 36” frame coming soon!

2 Likes

Too fast for me! I was going to write a message, too! :stuck_out_tongue:

me too on that. Though we must be aware it would weigh more than a 36" with a 3" tire, so keep that in mind. But it would look sweeeeeet! :smiley:

Mad4One will be a nice competitor for the “What’s the best 36?” podium!

4 Likes

With modern tyres and other components I bet you could get into the mid 40"s before the weight gets to what old 36ers used to weigh though.

Going back a few years I don’t think that a larger unicycle would have been much more than a novelty, but it definitely feels now that the technology and manufacturing has caught up enough for it to be at least somewhat practical.

The tyre is no doubt the biggest issue - hardly anyone has machinery big enough to produce 36" ones, let alone anything larger!

1 Like

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Huni-rex

Back on topic:
Does the Nimbus Oracle 36" have a lower Q-factor than a Nimbus Night Rider Pro, which is the one I have. I always feel it is quite wide when mounting and it is sluggish.
Does the QX RGB, that @Becky98 talks about, also feel different as it is 6.8kg?
I’m aware that riding a 36" will be easier when you do it more, but then when I do, I just feel mine is so heavy that I’d rather ride the 32". If there is a 36" that feels about as smooth as the 32", then I might get me another. I don’t care about a brake on the 36" as there aren’t any long downhills that I’d take it on. For normal riding on flat roads, I don’t use a brake to slow down.

RGB are maybe the lightest right now, but you can feel a real difference only when the wheel is lighter. So tire, rim, spokes, hub and cranks are far more important

Nope. All of the Nimbus 36ers have the same bearing spacing (125mm). To go down to 100mm you need to get a KH, Quax, or (soon) Mad4One.

What tyre are you using? I believe all of the 36" tyres now come in a 2 ply version as well as the old 4 ply. I switched from the 4 ply to the 2 ply Nightrider a while back and it is noticeably lighter and more supple.

Note that I don’t think the ride quality is necessarily better with the lighter tyre, but it is different.

FWIW my “heavy” Nightrider Pro with a steel frame, Fusion Zero saddle, Shadow handlebar, aluminium pedals, brake, lights and bell is still only 9kg, which I think is pretty reasonable.

2 Likes

Yes, a modern 36er with a Nightrider Lite and a lightweight tyre, and a carbon rim if you’re feeling flush.
Depending on what you’re going from, just the tyre and tube change can save almost 1KG of rotational weight, and that weight being lost from the extremity of the wheel makes a massive difference to how it rides.

But the KH with Spirit cranks (as stock) has a very similar Q-factor to the Nimbus 125mm 36ers.
The narrowest Q-factor 36ers as stock are currently the Qu-Ax RGB line.

I think the old tyre may be better off-road or hard-packed ground as you can run a lower pressure and not get the same roll that you do on the 2-ply. I bumped my normal pressure up by around 5 PSI when I moved to the new lite tyre.

Yes it completely feels different. I had also a Nimbus Nightrider before and when switching I didn’t felt like I have a 36" under me, more a 29" from the feeling of the weight and after 2 moths it still puts a smile on my face due to the weight when riding it. But the Nimbus nightrider is veeery heavy (mine is about 9,2 kg, normal nightrider tire, 29" tube, Nimbus Shadow handle)

True, I was just thinking about the frame. To get a narrower Q factor on a KH you would have to change the cranks and forfeit the brake.

Maybe you could replace just one crank and ride slightly crooked :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

maybe you could even it out by using a crank of different length - maybe a tiny bit longer…

Uh-oh, you’re tempting me to choose my university degree based on this need…

1 Like

Sounds great, but I hate they don’t use the same isis cranks.

I know its an old comment but, I agree.
The schlumpf on a 29" will make it a 44". I think that’s the best way to go.
Also, I think 36" is difficult enough to mount.

Are you going into the unicycle business? :wink:

I know a lot of people feel like that (felt the same). But when you switch the perspective to Q-Axle you ask yourself why are the other still using the old school system ISIS?
(Because Q-Axle definitely offers adventages concerning weight, how easy it is to change a crank and on that you don’t wear the interface or the crank out by switching cranks and you don’t have the spacer problem since you just have different 2 spacer fitting perfectly for the model they are designed for)

1 Like

Oh, I meant specifically tyre width, not wheel diameter.

I absolutely still want a larger wheel, I just don’t think any wider than a 2.25" Nightrider tyre would add much of an improvement as the stuff you’d want the extra width for on a smaller MUni would likely be unreasonable to ride on a 1:1 36er. The current 36" options are already pretty good on anything not super technical.