"Official" 29er Tire Reviews Thread

Have you tried Muni with the 29" DW?

Fattest mUni tire for 2013 KH29 disc mount frame

Maxxis Ardent 2.25" was standard when I bought my KH29 in 2013 the year Kris released his first disc mount frames. It was showing wear about the time Schwalbe dropped the Hans Dampf 2.35" which I also love. Now the 2015 KH frame can run a 3" Surly Knard. I want one. Bad. My daughter’s inseam is just now tall enough to hand her 26er Oracle down to her brother and take over my KH29 which suits her well as it is really (like unbelievably) light whereas her brother is burly enough to tractor thru on his Duro. But this all got me wondering. What is the fattest mUni tire my 2013 KH29 can handle? I’ve hard the Knard may be a no-go but what about the Dirt Wizard?

Surly Knard 29x3 120tpi

My Knard review is really more of a comparison with the Schwalbe Hans Dampf on my daughter’s recently inherited 2013 KH29. I’m running a lightweight FOSS tube despite the warnings about it’s use with the drilled out ovalised holes in her 47.2mm KH Freeride rim. It has held up fine for 2 years. The FOSS/HD/Spirit combo make for an insanely lightweight 29er mUni.
The Surly Knard 29x3 120tpi and 3" Surly tube in my new 2015 KH29 is noticeably heavier more in line with the Wildlife Duro recently replaced with a Maxxis Highroller on my son’s 26er Oracle. Certainly feels heavier pushing it but not so noticeable riding it. I’m 5’10" 159 lbs. running the Knard at 14 psi. It does roll easily over bumps like rocks and roots so you don’t have to carve through like you did with the HD. That I like. I also enjoyed floating over snow powder. I’ll give it two thumbs up for now but I can’t help think, once the trails dry out, I might be missing my HD. One thing is for certain, I’m never clawing it back from her. I’d have to get another.

Schwalbe Big One SnakeSkin

Hi everybody,

more on the road-side of the discussion, I received and rode once a new Schwalbe tire :slight_smile:

Schwalbe Big One (SnakeSkin)

• Size: 29x2.35
  • ETRTO: 60-622
  • Official weight: 530g
  • Measured weight: [B]576g[/B]
  • Official max pressure: 3.5 bar (50psi)

I installed it on my 29er (with a KH XC 38mm rim) and pumped it at 4bar (55psi). The shape and look is very similar to the Big Apple 2.35 (see attached pics).

First test ride on the bike path was impressive, it felt like the unicycle was doing the pedaling !!! In anticipation of the weight reduction I changed the cranks from 125mm to 110mm and it felt as easy to ride on flat/up/down.

It did not felt like being softer than the Big Apple despite being really lighter. The ride has been in a flat-ish area and not the usual big loop so longer climbs testing will have to wait next ride. However, the few climbs I did even slowly were easy too.

I passed through a stretch with road crown and it felt slightly more forgiving than the B.A. (even though it was manageable with the B.A. on this same stretch).

It was a pleasure to ride and I can’t wait 'till next ride ! I will have to weight the uni for fun. And there’s a bonus point to the name: Big One (on a uni !).

Note: I was afraid about the tire’s traction because of the dotted tread compared to the city-like B.A. Schwalbe’s site says they have the same level of traction even in slippery condition. This ride was good. To be continued when I will go through hardpack and gravel roads…

KH29XC__Schwalbe-Big-Apple__web.JPG

KH29XC__Schwalbe-Big-One__web.JPG

nice review. Don’t you fear inflating it more than max recommanded pressure?

I only realized it when writting this quick review :smiley:
I will keep an eye on it and maybe will not re-inflate when the pressure will naturally decrease…

Thanks Sid for this review, after you published it on the french forum… I went ahead and ordered one! Along with a Foss tube. That should give me a pretty light wheel for sure!

After the hookworm you will fly on it!

As you probably know, I will receive very soon a kh geared muni 26er, maybe will I keep it like it is, but maybe I will upgrade it to a g29er.
Anyway, the question I will ask is valid both for 26 and 29 tires.

What I’m looking for is something that would gather the good sides of two very different tyres I have:
-Surly knard 26x3 120 tpi
-Schwalbe Super moto 29x2.35 (which exists in 26x2.35 as well) in theory very close to the Big One.

What I like with the super moto is its light weight, very good behavior on pavement and roads when inflated enough, it rolls easily.
But when I inflate it at 30 PSI, it sucks !
at 55 PSI it rolls very well and fast,not much camber sensitive but it’s a rock.
at about 36-40 PSI it start to be good enough and more comfortable, but we can’t really talk about suspension.

What I like with the surly knard inflated to 15 PSI is that I enjoy the hell out of it when I do muni or even some trial stuffs, it has tons of suspension, and doesn’t seams very sensitive to the road crown, I can jump on it like I do with my trial 19er, pretty comfortable.
The downside is that even if it is lightweight for such a big tyre, pedaling on road or city is far to be as easy as the supermoto, because of tyre deformation at such a low PSI, and this tyre is designed to be low inflated anyway.

So What I’m looking for is a lightweight 26/29er tyre that can have a good behavior on dirt but also on sidewalks/road, with some flexibility/suspension, so being able to be not much sensitive to camber while not being much inflated to let me keep the possibility to do some rolling hops, that will be comfortable (not a rock) and of course that will be fine with a Schlumpf hub.

I think the gmuni will arrive with the continental xking 26x2.4 as an extra tire, that, in the paper seams to match what I’m looking for but I will have to test it anyway.
The good news is that it also exists in 29" not much louder if I pull the trigger for the 29"gmuni option.

Any other Idea?

Yep, it’s going to be a big change from 1200g to 550g (and the lighter tube too!)
We should sell our Hookworm simultaneously, it might interest a biker to get a pair of tires…

Didn’t know about you getting a Guni, well done!

Thanks for the review, SV.
I see that this Big One is marketed as a sand tire – have you taken it onto sand yet?

Got the Big One and love it – very light and fast on the road.
50 psi worked well for me, producing speed right at the threshold of my courage level – even with longish (140) cranks.

Hello,
This tire should be for sand but you are using for road. It is that good on road? Wear? Traction?

Cheers

Hi,

it is a pleasure to ride it on the road and for now I have no complain about traction either on the pavement or on hardpack bike paths. As for the wear, it is too early to say.

The surface looks like 5-10 shoes with lots of small dots bare protruding :smiley:

When I was thinking about this tire, I compared the stats provided by Schwalbe and compared it to my only available reference: the Big Apple. The stats are almost as good on all topics (better on grip and worse on durability).

Juan, I’ve ridden it twice (2 hours) so I can’t comment on wear. It has no real tread – just a little “texture” – so I won’t even try it on wet road, mud, or loose dirt.

Turns out that winter weather around here is mostly rain and not all the bike paths are paved.

Wet: on wet pavement I have not noticed any difference in traction or grip. I would not ride it under heavy raining or wet marble but I can say the same for other tires :stuck_out_tongue:

Mud: same as for wet. With a thin layer of mud, it was okay (like with thin gravel). Again, it is a general road tire limitation at a certain level of mud.

Loose dirt: for hardpack with gravel protruding and thin gravel, it is doing good thanks to the big volume. However, I would walk a section with rocks or lots of gravel because you have no tread to grip in those conditions.

In short: you can/cannot do whatever another road tire (Big Apple, Marathon Supreme, Grifter, SuperMoto) can/cannot do.

Many thanks Sidd
Very good review :smiley:

+1, thanks SV

Calling all Frankentire makers! The Big One is so light, could two be used to make 36er tire, or would the thin sidewalls prevent this?

It should would work as well as any tire. The main concern is whether or not you can peel the tread off for the overlap, most tires you can but I haven’t tried with a schwalbe tire.

I am not really happy with the frankentires I have made with the sew two together method. My next tire will likely be a full fabrication for my 32.

Don’t get me wrong, sewn together tires can be a vast improvement in ride and weight, but I have yet to have one last over 1000 km. 90% of my problems have been with the joined bead.

Silly question: if the weak point is at the joined bead, wouldn’t some staples + covering them with tape a good way to reinforce this point ?

Not sure if it would make a difference if the stress is lateral to the rim hook but if it is because of the tube pressure against the rim hook, it may make it last a bit more (1700km ? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: ).

Thanks, Sask.
I’ve never made/tried one but would be happy if a superlight 36er Frankentire lasted 500 km or less!

I’m also thinking that because the lack of tread on this tire produces an utterly silent ride on a smooth road, the two joints on a Frankenversion – depending on how cleanly they were made – might produce two fairly-obvious thumps per rev. This might ruin the experience for me.