"Official" 29er Tire Reviews Thread

I’ve had the 2" Marathon Supreme blow off my KH XC 38 mm rim (tyre pressure being within specs). I’ve heard from a reliable source that KH rims and Schwalbe tyres are often not a happy marriage, and that divorce (as in the tyre blowing off the rim) has occurred with several riders. What I heard is that the KH rims don’t have much of a ‘hook’ to grab the tyre bead, and perhaps the Schwalbe tyres are slightly on the large side. Not a good combo. The Dominator2 rim seems to be better suited to this and other Schwalbe tyres. I haven’t really tried that out though.

I had this happen when I had it up to 65psi. I keep it at 55 and no problem.

Fortunately, the Hookworm is a bigger volume tire (2.5) making for a better contact angle between the sidewall & hook section of the rim.

And maybe Maxxis is more generous with their bead than Schwalbe is (the Hookworm has big sidewalls that also should make a more stable “grab” than thinner ones on lightweight tires).

I will let you know if I start flying :smiley:

I have been running the WTB Exiwolf 29x2.3 @ 60psi for 2 years all year long and never got any blow out of the rim.

I should clarify that my tire blew out while it was hanging up. It didn’t happen while I was riding. Good thing too, or I may have had to head home to change my shorts :D.

I’ve actually had several tyre blow-offs off of the same KH XC rim. All of them were Schwalbe Marathon tyres. And all of them happened while riding, one of them in the 100km race at Unicon 2012. That was a real bummer, and a BOOMer too :angry:

Still happy about it several weeks later?

Hi Pierrox,

I used it again this morning to go to work and I am a happy camper (even happier now that the temperature are around 5C/41F at 7am :wink: ).

I may be easy to please but I find it a nice improvement over the previous tires and nothing to complain about. I am more working on my seating posture these days to use more the seating bones and ease the pressure on the tighs/hips inner junction :wink:

If you end up in the area, you are more than welcomed to stop by and test :wink:

Rubena V99 City Hopper

I had one of these on my uni, so I am now in a position to comment on it.

My previous tire was the 1.75" Innova road tire that came on my Trainer 29. It was nimble, but it only lasted 10 months or so. Yes, I rotate my tires. I was trying to get something that would last me at least a year. There wasn’t a lot of information to be had about the Rubena tire (in English, at least; it is a Czech brand), but the one mention of durability that I had found was encouraging. Rubena is apparently a well respected brand in places where it is common.

I also wanted to try a larger volume tire, but not so large as to overwhelm my rim, which is only 25mm or so wide. This tire is 2.0" or 52mm. I tried to get the regular version of the tire, but it was sold out at the time, so I got the version with puncture protection. I use a separate tire liner. I was reluctant to spend the big bucks on a known quality tire (ex: Big Apple, Marathon Supreme), since I tend to acquire lots of cuts from road debris.

Putting the tire on was a bit fiddly, and I almost had it blow off. I noticed the bulging before getting up to pressure. I did get it on, but it required more attention to getting the bead set just right than my other tires have. Once on, I had no more trouble with that. I’ve had it off and on since then (tire rotation, tube replacement, etc.) and knew to concentrate on that with this tire in particular.

The tire rode beautifully. Very smooth, nice grip on normal road surfaces, as cushy or stiff as I wanted it to be. I don’t weigh my tires, but it did feel appreciably heavier (whilst riding) than my previous tire. Not as nimble. More for cruising than for making tight turns. I got used to it and didn’t mind the weight. It was as hopeless on mud as any other slick road tire, which isn’t unexpected.

Now for the disappointing part. Wear. It wore very quickly. In just a few months (seriously, like 1-2), the center of the tread was becoming bald. Already, the anti-puncture belt was starting to become visible. I don’t actually know how such tires are fabricated, but it looked like there was molding flash (raised ridge in the center) on the belt which wasn’t trimmed properly and the tread surface was put down over it, if that makes any sense. At that ridge, the tread would have been very thin. I don’t know how it wasn’t visible in the recessed parts of the tread. Maybe it was, but I just wasn’t looking for it.

I rode it that way. I didn’t notice any handling problems due to the exposed belt. It didn’t seem to wear appreciably more (or less) quickly than the black rubber. unsurprisingly, as the tire wore further, the irregular pink stripe became wider. I expected to start seeing black again before threads, but there is one spot where a small chunk of the pink foam is missing and I see a single thread.

The tire was new last August and I replaced it a few weeks ago. I was going to ride it until I properly saw threads, but I had my first group ride coming up as the only unicyclist among bicyclists and didn’t want to have to explain it or to have a mechanical problem attributable to it.

In summary, the tire rode well, but it wore quickly.

Just for the sake of tech info and visuals, here is the tire’s page on Rubena website:

http://www.rubenatires.com/v99-cityhopper/

Is there any pink 29" road tire, around 2" to 2.3" width ?

Yup; thanks. Anybody think it odd that all of the resellers and even the manufacturer have only obvious CGI images of the tires and no actual photographs? At least that was the case when I was shopping. The tread is every bit as thin as it looks in that depiction.

Yes, I had the same reaction: wtf? CG must be easier, faster, cheaper than taking an actual photograph of the actual tire. A poor decision in my view. :frowning:

I just mounted some 29 x 3" Dirt Wizards on a tandem, they are a very burly tire, set up well tubeless, and they seem to be constructed a little more burly than their 26" cousin (2.75).

Compared the 29" Knard, this is a super burly dirt gobbler!

Mine measure 960/1004 gms.

They are about 1/2" taller than a 29 x 2.4 Ardent.

It’s a lot of tire, but if roll big wheels then this is one worth looking at.

Dirt Wizard

Hey Ben -
Where did you find the DW 29x3.0? I’ve searched all over and every place is “out of stock”. My LBS says QBP can’t get it either :angry:

The 26 inch version is plentiful.

Nevermind … my LBS GermantownCycles can now get the 29x3.0 120tpi. I’ve already ordered it :slight_smile:

Hey, sorry I didn’t get back to you, I’m not on the forum often.

I found two on line, AE bike I think, anyways it’s a great tire, such an incredible improvement over the Knard. My DW 29 x 3 weigh right at 1000gm each. I run them tubeless, they are a great tire for technical riding!

There are some other awesome 29+ tires coming down the pike, I’m holding out for something a little lighter and faster than the DW for my muni.

Now that I have some muni-miles on it I can say I really like it. Setup: Dirt Wizard 29x3 120tpi on 50mm Rabbit Hole and Surly 29x3 tube. Tread is far more aggressive than the Knard. It measures an honest 3 inches on a 50mm Rabbit Hole. The casing seems to be not quite as flimsy as the Knard but hard to tell. Grips very well. I like it!!

Maxxis Grifter 29"

Was browsing aimlessly on the web, my favorite insomnia activity… :wink:
And I came across that:
Maxxis Grifter 29"

Love that tire on my 20", anyone tried it on a road/urban 29" uni? In 2.50, it’s about 880g, which is pretty light (something like 30% lighter than a Hookworm). Combined with a Foss tube, that could make for a very light town uni.

Any experience out there?

There is one guy on the French forum that has one (toutestbon I think). Seems to be in the usual road category.

I noticed the Schwalbe Big One that is crazy lightweight for the 29x2.35 size (440g in light and 530g in SnakeSkin).

Maybe a good alternative for all the Marathon Supreme lovers?

BA 29x2.0 Supermoto 29x2.35 Hookworm 26x2.5

My Nimbus 29road was delivered about one month ago with a Big Apple 29x2.0
The first two weeks I rode 3 times 8, 16, and 30km but developed a ITB syndrome I have been struggling with since (nothing to do with the tyre).
The BA2.0 is the less sensible to road crown tyre I ever rode.
It feels very thin and easy to ride.
It is more a 28" tyre than a 29"

I recently bought a Schwalbe Supermoto 29x2.35.
As I am working on finding and testing solutions to my ITB tendinitis I recently managed to ride 10km and then 20km with this tyre.
The tyre is super light coupled to a foss tube, I can run pretty fast with it and never feel any tiredness.
Apart from the ITB issue, I feel I could ride 50km easily.

Before that I rode a 26x2.5 maxxis hookworm tyre and pretty much appreciated it despite it was much louder than those two 29er tyre, maybe because of the inertia and first of all because this is an excellent tyre.
I like to feel a certain resistant force under my feet but not as much as my qu-ax 36er (just ordered a lighter tyre and tube for the 36).
I am speaking of inertia resistance, not about the resistance from the tyre on the ground. both supermoto, BA2.0 and hookworm 26x2.5 have little resistance to the ground when well inflated.

The supermoto is great for long distance on roads, maybe the greater road tyre ever, I don’t know yet how it feels in urban rides but I presume it also is a very good commuter for those who want to run easily without sweeting much.
I have to test it on urban conditions to complete my point of view.
the tyre is easy on road crown too.
I just miss something I felt on my 26er that, as I said, can be linked to a certain amount of inertia that I need to feel good and that I absolutely don’t feel in the supermoto.

So I ordered a Hoowkorm 29x2.5 because it was cheap and in stock but I
don’t plan to remove the supermoto for now.