"Official" 29er Tire Reviews Thread

A website devoted to measuring rolling resistance reviewed the Big One recently, describing it as “insanely fast”:

Tyre rolling resistance website

Nice website, thanks for the link!

You’re welcome, Klaas.
I just took the Big One to the beach and did a super fun, fast, painless ten miles; this tire seems to float on air!

Supermoto versus Hookworm

For a road racing 29" tyre, I am trying to decide between two options:

• [B]Schwalbe Super Moto 29 x 2.35[/B]. I heard it is derived from the Big Apple. I always had trouble with crown sensitivity in the Big Apple 29 x 2.35". The Super Moto is really light so it may be as bad on that aspect. I heard good stories about its low rolling resistance though. Can't find the max tyre pressure online. And: does it only exist in 2.35"?
  • [B]Maxxis Hookworm 29 x 2.5[/B]. A lot heavier and therefore not very agile. But this is for longer races without much cornering. Once I'm up to speed weight shouldn't bother me. Max pressure seems to be 65 psi.
Any insights/recommendations?

Why choose such wide tires? I ride a Big Apple 2" and don’t have trouble with road camber. I’m switching to the Marathon Supreme which is lighter but haven’t been able to ride it yet as I’m waiting for a new hub that will go on a light rim.

Supermoto versus Hookworm

This is for races in the 29" class, such as during Unicon. A wider tyre is also bigger in diameter, and this gives an advantage for racing while still being allowed.

I have a 26" Hookworm, and find it heavy and sensitive to road camber. Other than that it’s an OK tire.

Hookworm properties

That is not too positive… How wide is the rim you have it on, and what is/was the tyre pressure?

OK, now you’re asking hard stuff. It’s a stock (older) Nimbus rim (I’m at work and can’t measure it now), and I think I was running the pressure fairly high then, like around 30psi. Here’s a picture of it (that I happen to have on my work computer). It was OK off-road, but would slide in loose stuff. I haven’t run that tire for a few years, I have a Maxxis Holy Roller on it now, which I like for mixed street/trail use.
Cheers!

It is fun how high/low is high :smiley:

I have been running a Hookworm around 55psi on the road and it was a pleasure. The tread (or lack of) is making this tire a road tire or hardpack at most.

YMMV :wink:

Hookworm properties

Indeed, I run my road tyres near the max rated pressure (which is 65 psi for the Hookworm). I think 30 psi is rather low for this tyre, and will have increased road camber sensitivity. A few pages ago the Hookwork was discussed for road use, and generally considered a pleasure. I think I’ll spring for that one now that it is available in Europe too.

Thanks for the insights so far. If anyone has to add more, it’s welcome.
I’ll report back when I have some experience on it - remind me if I wouldn’t.

Racing Ralph 2.35 and Knard 3.0

I’ve got some experience running these on a 50mm carbon rim (Nextie). Mostly I ride on dry loose surface, plenty of drops (up to about 50cm) , rock gardens, hills and berms but try to keep rolling and avoid hopping too much (it’s a 29er!) Tried the Knard 3.0 120TPI both tubed and tubeless. Tubeless was definitely better - it felt lighter and easier to deform over rocks and roots, and I never had a problem with burping. It was painful to set up though - required temporary tape across the tyre - rim interface to keep enough air/co2 in the tyre and a co2 inflator. Unfortunately the tyre blew out (split just above the bead), so that was the end of that. I probably won’t get another one because I didn’t like the unpredictability when cornering hard - sometimes it would throw me off, and sometimes not.

Next tyre was the new (since 2015?) Racing Ralph HS425 Snakeskin TL Easy 2.35. I ran it from 30psi down to 25 with a tube and it goes great, predictable and not folding or pinch flatting (I’m 85kg). Obviously it doesn’t absorb bumps like the Knard, and is not as grippy as the Hans Dampf or Nobby Nic HS463, but is lighter (705gm). It’s borderline on grip, but should improve on less dusty terrain (waiting for rain here). I wouldn’t run it on a 26er as grip would obviously be less, and I use the 26 on more technical rides. I just converted it to tubeless today, and waiting for some saddle chafing to heal up before I can ride again (hence online now haha). But it inflated with a track pump, no co2, tape, soap and water or anything. Feels like it doesn’t even need sealant, but I added some anyway. I think it’s perfect for racing - I’ve been setting segment records on strava even with the tube, and a good choice as long as you are 100% offroad (I think it would wear down pretty quick on asphalt), it’s not muddy or too sandy. For an all round 29er I’d probably go the Nobby Nic.

45nrth Nicotine good?

Hi All,

I’m already anticipating winter riding my 29er. Can anyone recommend the 45nrth Nicotine (studded or otherwise)? It sure looks good but looks can be deceiving.

I got one, studs are amazingly good. Grips well in the snow too. Depending on how you take your corners it can suck really bad though. To be honnest, it isn’t the best tire for unis. I used mine to comute only and it was fine appart for turning. If you ride fast enough you wont feel it :stuck_out_tongue:

If you are looking for a really good ice grip tire that can handle some brown sugar I highly recommend the Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro. I really like mine on my geared 26 for winter commuting. You don’t get any of those weird transition feelings from distinct center and edge traction zones, but it’s pretty draggy compared to a summer tire and you will be glad you only have to buy one ($$$)

Turning is overrated anyway, it’s just a small part of the experience… :smiley:

Thank you Sasketchewanian!

Owing to your location and certain abundant experience w/ ice and snow, I will act on this advice and go w/ the $chwalbe Ice $piker.

They all seem expensive tho, except, perhaps, for the homebrews.

Why a Knard 29x3 can also be good on the road.

I have this tire on my G29 and at the beginning I was expecting more sensitivity to road camber, especially knowing that I have a 47mm kh rim…

Now I see why it’s good on the pavement too: the day before this photo I rode on mud which stayed on the tire and was dry the day after, then I was testing some stuffs on the wet floor of my parking and this revealed how thin (for a + tyre) was the surface in contact with the floor when inflated at 32 PSI.

As you can see, the wet track is not wider than a nightrider 36x2.25 tire for example.
Indeed it’s 4cm (1,57") wide, so even thinner.

I really like this tire on my G29, it’s rather light (about 900gm) but heavy enough to give the inertia that makes the ride in high gear pretty stable in comparison to a G26 with a light road tire.
It can handle roads and trails pretty good, depending on the PSI
The only downside is it’s not as good on wet and slippery floors.

Hi, I’m looking for a vee rubber speedster 29x2.8 tire unicyclist review.
Does anyone have it on his 29er?

Schwalbe Rock Razor 29 Super Gravity TS

A quick review of the Schwalbe Rock Razor 29 tire ( Super Gravity - Trailstar) :

I just tried this tire out in my typical riding conditions here in the desert of southeastern Arizona and it did really well compared to my go-to 29er tire - the Super Gravity Hans Dampf.

The Short - for dry sandy, and loose-over-hard conditions in the desert this is a great XC / tour tire. Jenson USA has these on clearance right now (Dec 2016) for $20. Definitely worth getting one.

Trail Conditions - dry - Hardpack, loose (sandy) over hard, rocky, 1-2" deep sandy spots, some steep ups and downs, some road sections.

Setup - Nimbus Drak 29er with Coker handlebars, disc brake and a 50mm wide Surly Rabbit Hole rim.

This tire rolls slightly smoother and faster than the Dampf on rd, hardpack, and loose-over-hard. I also found its grip a little more consistent. It seemed to behave this way on flats, as well as steep climbs and descents, and off-camber slopes.

The tire did better than expected on sections with deeper sand (~2"). I didn’t notice any decrease in performance over the Hans Dampf. Its possible that going fast into sandy section this tire slowed a bit faster but its hard to say.

The light 50mm rim really gives this tire a stable feel, but it retains enough roundness in its profile to carve alright too. It took the uni off some 1 ft drops and it landed squarely (same as the SG Hans Dampf).