Nimbus, QU-AX or KH ?

1. it’s not Knoxx, it’s Koxx… for future reference

2. possibly because there are little if any koxx dealers in aus, but I wouldn’t know because I don’t live there. They come from france.

3. koxxs are good unis if you like to be able to buy lots of different coloured parts with different designs, however the stock unis IMO are not up to the stand ard of the Nimbus and KH. For example, on all four koxx unis I’ve ridden the frames have wobbled side-to-side. This may not affect the strength and I admit they are very strong unis still, but it’s not nice riding on a uni that feels really rickety if you know what I mean. Also, their ‘‘ISIS’’ hubs have the own unique format, meaning the only cranks you can change to with that hub have to be koxx ISIS - which a lot of people do not like.

Normally I’d say, KH definatley, Nimbus if you’re on a budget.

But due to the massive qu-ax sale on UDC I’d say get the quax

Well guys i have decied for the KH kris holm $550 O YEA. Anything i need to change on it? like seat or cranks?

No…but eventually:

• you may wish to change the pedals to plastics, or lighter metal pedals depending on what style you ride. The Odyssey JCs that are on it are quite heavy and don’t have much grip (meant to be like this so you can do flip tricks because your feet can slide off them easier).

• when your tyre wears out you may wish to consider other trials tyres such as the try all, monty eagle claw… etc.

• when the stock aluminium seatpost breaks (happens to everyone, it’s just inevitable) you can upgrade it to a ‘‘Cromo’’ one, which is some kind of strong alloy… (don’t ask me … :stuck_out_tongue: ), but is slightly heavier.

• if you find that you want to learn flat you should stick a line of grip tape along the tops of the cranks so you have grip on them when you need it.

None of these changes are paramount, but what I like about the KH20 is that you can change these certain minor things and you have a unicycle that’s perfect for the style you want to ride.

… a carbon fibre base for when your saddle breaks.

Thanks for that, At the moment my riding is slightly a bit difficult, because my feat dont fit on the pedals, very well… I find it extremely difficult to ride with shoes on. I have size 11(US) MENs shoes. So at the moment on my ebay bought 20" uni i ride with bare feat. up until i broke it last week :stuck_out_tongue: is that the peddles of the crappy uni or is it just becasue i need to get used to wearing shoes on a uni? PS: Are skate shoes better than running shoes on a uni?

Thnanks :slight_smile:

I’d take a guess at it being your pedals that are the problem - I’ve never seen anyone here complain about their feet being too big for their pedals :wink: .

Kk, Maybe its just me its that my pedals only cover about a quater of the shoe so i have to place it really carefully and jumping is really bad cause my feat just fall off LOL.

Getting cash from my bank on Monday HERE I COME KH20!

Skate shoes will grip the pedals much better than running shoes.

How come? And do skate shoe’s soles wear out very fast? I don’t wear skate shoes but my running shoes are pretty battered from the pins in my pedals and especially the right one from gliding :stuck_out_tongue:

Running shoe:

Skate shoe:

Skate shoes are made so there is quite a bit of sole touching whatever your standing on. You can move your foot to many different positions and angles all while keeping contact with pedal or deck or such. The whole shoe is usually pretty soft allowing you to move your foot in many unnatural directions when needed. The grip is covering the entire sole making for less slippage.

Running shoes are designed so contact is concentrated to the ball and heal of your foot. This makes for less frictions and a smoother more powerful step. They are also stiffer and designed to flex in the way your foot should flex while running. There are dead spots on the sole which will not grip a pedal well.

As for wear: Shoes are gonna wear out no matter what kind they are when you use metal pedals. I find that my shoes are pretty evenly used when the sole is toast. Meaning the cushion, the the stitches, and the sole all keep up with each other. I get knew shoes more for fresh flex and cushion then flex grip… tho all are needed in about 2-3 months of moderate to heavy ridding.

Sorry for the thread jack. No need to respond to this message.

Picture 21.png

Picture 31.png

Sweet Thanks, thats exactly what I need to know :slight_smile: Next pair of shoes is some skate shoes. I just have one more question (that I cant think of) What type of shin guards to I use and should I should i use gloves of some kind? I am guessing long socks with shin guards is not going to cut it, so yea. Thanks! :slight_smile:

If you have the money and want full shin and knee protection as well as some behind the leg protection with leg armor designed by and for unicyclists then I would recommend the KH leg armor. Pretty much everyone loves these.
-Pros: designed for unicycling, full coverage
-Cons Sort of hot, pricey, no full ankle protection, on the restricting side(tho some might argue they are quite comfy.

However I have never liked the full leg coverage feel so I go with something a bit less constricting but not quite as high tech, and use “big” soccer style shinguards. Key word here is BIG. These ones are a nice size and open in the back.
http://cgi.ebay.com/WILSON-SOFT-SHELL-SHIN-PROTECTION-BLUE-NIP-ADULT_W0QQitemZ120254860308QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20864QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

This is what I use, and love them. They are not too hot, they have a pretty big area of protections(tho there are a few unguarded spots), they have ankle guards and you completely forget they are on.
-Pros: Light, pretty good protections, ankle protection, cool, cheap.
-Cons: No calf protection, a few vulnerable spots, If you want knee protection you need a second set of pads.(although then you can choose when you want it and not)

It looks like Wilson is replacing the blue model with these new ones:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SOCCER-SHIN-GUARDS-Wilson-DST02-DST-02-ADULT-SIZE-NEW_W0QQitemZ310038248041QQihZ021QQcategoryZ20864QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247#ebayphotohosting

Hehe, i can feel the age old debate of the best leg armour coming on…
So i guess its my turn to have my say;)
When i first started i used soccer shin guards, however i, in the end, found these to be crap, and changed to 661 4X4 when i got my knew uni, i love my 661’s and wouldnt change them for anything, tome they are comfortableto ride in and dont restrict my movement too much.
I say 661!!!
I guess i should say my reason for not liking the soccer ones:
I found them to have minimal coverage (also, nothing on the back), they were uncomfortable and kept slipping about.
Well, thats my input!
Peace

I see, I like the word Full leg coverage :stuck_out_tongue: Mill where did you get the 611’s ? just wanting to see if the price is worth it :slight_smile:

Well, i got my 661’s from a motoX warehouse down here in Tassie, they had to order them in for me as they didnt stock them…
Most mountain bike shops sell them too… Now the question… why didnt i just go to a bike shop where they were in stock?
I had been looking around the bike shops and they were near $100 (ranged from $85 - $100), when i rang up the motoX warehouse i was told that they could get them in for $55, i was like HELL YEAH!
So yeah, i orded from there and saved loads!

Wow thats great! Ill have to ask around at bike shops where i am. Are the Kris holm better? i am going to the KH20 uni so getting the Kh pads would kinda be the way but is there anything really badly wrong with them? except maybe a little hot?

To be honest i have no knowledge of the KH leg armour so i cannot comment.
Sorry dude.
Also, what made you decide the KH20 over the Nimbus? (just curious)

Well, 2 things really. The fellow who is getting me my uni can’t get the Nimbus as it is exclusive to UDC, It would cost me $370 in postage and then later on it would cost me $130 on moment cranks = $500 (plus crank postage) 2nd Because he can get me such good prices (Qu-AX ($379 Posted)) and the KH20 ($550 posted) i thought it would be stupid not to get a $795 (UDC price) unicycle for $550

Basically I would be happy with nimbus its just in my mind its a better deal to get the kris holm for the price, also love the weight on it 5.5kg or something i think it is :slight_smile:
:slight_smile:

Yeah, fair call:)
I would do totally the same thing in that situation!