Nimbus Nightrider Brakes, why the expensive kind?

When looking at the Nimbus Nightrider on UDC, they only give you one option for brakes, the Magura Hydraulic Plastic Brake w/Spooner which costs $140 extra. When I look at the brake that is offered with the Coker V2 and a few other unis, they offer a Linear Pull Brake System with an extra cost of only $60.

Why don’t they offer the Linear Pull Brake System for other unis like the Nimbus Nightrider? It would allow people to have brakes and save an extra $80. Are they not compatible? Do the Hydraulic brakes simply work a lot better for those kinds of unicycles?

because Coker have V-brakes and Nimbus Night rider have magura…it’s not the same thing.

Could i buy a Linear Pull Brake System separately to put on the Nimbus Nightrider and have it fit and work correctly?

Yeah, they have conversion kits for the maggie mounts, I do believe.

Here’s how I did it with a linear pull.

Purchased these adapters from udc uk. The shipping was 3 pounds additional and it took about a week and a half to arrive.

Purchased a cheap linear brake from my LBS, with lever and necessary cabling. This ran me about 30-35 dollars.

Problems I ran into:
When I was setting everything up, I found that the calipers on the brake were too long, and this prevented the brake from tightening snugly on the adapters. So if you use this method, check with your bike shop and make sure everything looks snug with the adapter pieces before you purchase the brake. I had to exchange mine and we eventually found one that worked, but it was a pain in the butt. I was pretty frustrated that it wasn’t something that is standard on all brakes.

Additionally, the adapters I ordered did not fit on to the magura mount properly without me filing them down on the inside about .5mm on each side. I have a Nimbus Nightrider Pro, and I don’t know if this is an issue with maggie mounts on other unicycles.

I hope this helps you out, its a lot of work but much cheaper than getting a Magura. You just have to be willing to endure the work! But after all of this, it works really well. Saves my legs on the downhills and it doesn’t squeal.

Paul

PS I briefly discussed this issue a few months ago when I received it. Perhaps you’ll find other useful info in this thread.

I think that it would be fun to do all that, kind of like a project:) But i’m living in a University dorm and have a very limmited assortment of tools that i can use…
Thanks a lot though

I think an allen wrench and maybe a file ought to do it. Oh and something to cut the end of the brake cable. I couldn’t find something that would cut it perfectly. Good luck and I’m glad I could help!

Will using this Dimension Linear Brake Mount help attatch a pull brake to the Nimbus Nightrider?

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=566

go on ebay, get some second hand maguras for $30, job done

Wow that’s pretty cool, it looks like it will work but it seems a little shoddy to have it just hose clamped on to your frame. But yeah, those are the V brake mounts that insert into the calipers, but its up to you to line it up properly on the frame. Let me know if that works!

I’ll try that. But it will be 2 or 3 weeks before i actually get the uni. Hope it works well :slight_smile:

Allot of the biketrials guys use something like these. They bolt to both Magura mounts… definitely firmer feeling than the single bolt type adapters.

zhi_v_adapters_black2.jpg

Wow those look really good, where do you buy them or what are they called?

Haha, this must be your favorite piece of advice… I crack up every time I see it.

But seriously, get used Maguras.

Google is your friend!

http://www.trialsin.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=20&products_id=56&osCsid=635974b90e1a7

Thanks Scoope!

Having ridden a 36er with both hydraulic and cable brakes, I must say the cable brakes are much smoother and easier to use.

Hydraulic brakes seem a lot grabbier, in my experience, and that’s the last thing you want when traveling at high speed on a big wheel. The linear pull has done me well on both gentle and steep descents, after a little adjustment.

Another advantage for having the cable brakes is simplicity. If it breaks, it’s much easier to find parts and fix than a hydraulic brake.