Nextie 36" carbon rim

Think again: a 36er rim at that price, configure it as you like, free shipping special … and it’s literally called “Unicorn”.

Do you still think it’s real? Or did you just send money overseas, now waiting for something too good to be true? :wink:

Very interesting read especially how the material used for the bead has an impact on how the tire deals with pressure.

However, the author mentions 50psi as the pressure above which you should get a tube or a dedicated tubeless tire. Big question is: is there plenty of people running 50psi or more on their 36? Or was it a ballpark value?

On my 29er with a very light tire, I am running 60psi but the nightrider (and the vee/king george) are burlier so the sweet spot on road is maybe lower.

And in addition, his explanation about the stress pushing the tire out will be amplified by irregularities. But fortunately, nobody runs over 50psi off-road :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No need to worry, imo. Nextie is a very reputable carbon fiber rim manufacturer. These rims are custom built to your specs, which typically takes a few weeks. Then another few weeks for shipping. With the free shipping deal, I imagine they got lots of orders and it might take a bit longer than usual.

4 Likes

I wonder whether they’d be prepared to make a hooked version in the future as I could see the interest being significantly greater with the increased tyre compatibility. I know it adds manufacturing complexity though so maybe it’s not going to be an option for this size.

I’ve zero interest in a tubeless 36" setup personally. With the Nightrider Lite, a light tube, a light hub, and a carbon rim it’ll already be plenty light, and I’ve (somehow) not had a puncture on a unicycle in over a decade of riding so I’m still fine with just carrying a puncture repair kit.

2 Likes

Haven’t any of these mythical rims arrived yet?

mine is in country so hopefully this week

1 Like

Mine is at customs I believe according to the tracking.

1 Like

Why? Is it a custom rim? :grinning:

2 Likes

$$$

Sounds like an expensive place for it to be.

Mine has now cleared customs! Now it just needs to make it all the way across the country :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mine has just cleared UK customs so hopefully by the end of the week or early part of next week it should be with me

4 Likes

Well my Nextie 36” carbon has arrived this morning. Only 2weeks on delivery which is good and even though it got caught at customs where was No charges which is even better. Just need to wait for spoke washers and nipples to build this awesome wheel.

6 Likes

Pictures?

What tyre are you planning on using? I’d be interested to know how it seats.

1 Like

I will add some pictures sorry, popped home to take delivery of it and then back to work. I’m planning on using the nimbus knight rider lite tyre

2 Likes

Mine arrived today too! Using Nightrider lite also. I seated half the tire by hand already, so the ridge in the middle works for getting it on quite well. Hopefully it will hold well with a stretched 29er tube, I dislike presta and prefer schrader but I guess I should try it out again. Still need spokes, I’ve got spoke washers.

1 Like

Mine arrive today as well! I won’t be home for a couple days to check it out though

Whats all the fuss about nipple washers? I have absolutely no experience with carbon. Never owned any bike parts made of carbon (except for a seat-post) :sunglasses: Would it be advisable to use washers if I just build the wheel with brass nipples?

Btw. my Nextie rim was just handed over to DHL in the Netherlands so that probably means that the rim will be with me early next week.

I will mount a Vee Tire T-Monster on the rim…

5 Likes

13 Likes

First attempt…

Sadly I figured out that the nipples used were at least 2 different kinds. 14mm/16mm and for different spoke wrenches. They were bought together as a set with the spokes and I obviously assumed they were the same type/length. I was building in the evening while my kids were distracting me (and using only a screwdriver, not a spoke wrench) so I did not notice before examining the build next day :frowning:

Anyway now it’s rebuild with some 14mm black nipples (which also looks a bit nicer…)

It’s a KH Spirit hub and build with 367mm spokes (standard KH36 spokes) but with a 4-cross pattern to compensate for the smaller ERD of the Nextie rim compared to the regular KH36 rim. The length of the spokes for this configuration is perfect.

Tube is a stretched Schwalbe SV19 and used 16mm Velox rim tape. Tire is the Vee Tire T-Monster. It was very difficult to mount on the rim. Broke a few cheap tire levers in the process. Tire seated very nicely/evenly as soon as I started inflating.

Now time to build i complete Uni and test drive, but unfortunately that will have to wait until tomorrow…

9 Likes

Thats awesome. I’m still building mine. I have gone with 3 cross and my spoke length is 356mm using a nimbus 36 hole hub.

How did you manage getting the stretched inner tube on?

1 Like