Nextie 36" carbon rim

It’s my first 36" so I never done it before but it was suprisingly easy (or maybe I got lucky… :sunglasses: )

I just inflated it lightly to get it into shape. Just as I would do with a regular tire/tube change.
Then I put the valve through the rim and then I slowly stretched the tube around the rim. Afterwards I carefully made sure that the tube was not twisted anywhere. While slowly rotating the wheel I lifted the tube a bit off the rim to make sure it was as evenly stretched as possible. Last step was obviously to mount the tire itself without pinching the tube.

The reason why I chose this tube is the post quoted below (SV19/AV19 is likely the same except for the valve). He also shares some interesting other points about mounting and using stretched tubes.

Only negative I have to say about my configuration is that a valve length of 40mm is a bit short for the Nextie rim. Look closely at the pictures and its quite obvious. If you are unlucky your pump might not be able to get a proper connection to the valve.

1 Like

Nice! The matte 3K and black decals look sweet :ok_hand:t3:

I was in town long enough to unbox mine before leaving again but i hope to get it built up sometime later next week

Dang that thing looks sexy! Can’t wait to have mine too!
Good info on the valve. I also worked out that my current spoke will be exactly right if I lace 4x. But it’s always nice to see that it actually worked beyond the theory.
When you replaced all the nipples, you went for 12mm everywhere?
Also did you use washers between the nipples and the rim?

Well this is a good sign.

Hard to get on, hopefully hard for it to come off.

Scrap all of your cheap tyre levers though - they’re not worth the stress and frustration. I chucked all of mine after I tried a few decent Schwalbe ones many years ago.

2 Likes

So true :+1: It was actually Schwalbe tire levers that got the job done at the end when the others had failed.

1 Like

It’s a good sign indeed! I dont have experience with hookless rims so the fact that it fits snug is reassuring

I used 14mm but I believe 12mm would be sufficient as the spokes seems like the perfect length so no need for any additional length nipples. 14mm was just what I could get for delivery early next morning.

No i did not use any washers.

1 Like

Nextie say you don’t need to use a washer between the rim and the nipple. It was a question that I asked. I do have it on an email as well.

3 Likes

@Unikev, no pictures of yours yet?

Sorry I have a few photos.
It’s currently at the wheel builders being built.

3 Likes

Nice!

I don’t know which I prefer now.

The flat black is significantly less fancy looking, but it looks very sleek and I rather like it when performance parts don’t try and show off too much.

1 Like

I was torn between this style and the one @WeaponizedBacon had chosen

1 Like

I agree! I don’t have buyers remorse but i must say that the black on black is super nice and if i were buying again it would probably be the one :ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

What frames is everyone using for the 36” carbon Nextie

Mine will go in my oracle frame

Same here, 125mm bearing pitch.

1 Like

KH36 mainly because I got a “b-grade” frame for cheap (because it has black bearing clamps) and I already had the spirit cranks (110/127) as a leftover from my KH27.5 when I changed them recently.

Weight as pictured 6,3kg

It’s my first 36" so I cannot do any meaningful comparisons of how it rides but I really like it! Fast, very smooth and quite maneuverable.

I (obviously) started out using a wall to get the feel for it but after a few short rides + planned dismounts I tried (static) free-mounting and succeeded in the third attempt :grinning:
I was expecting it to be something that would require a lot of work to learn but fortunately it seems quite natural and not that difficult. Of course my success rate is nowhere as good as on my 27.5 but it’s good enough that I can just ride off without the need to think about if i can re-mount after an UPD.

It’s not the final configuration as I (as expected) was missing a proper handle after a few mins. My 27.5 has a Handle Saddle that I really like. For the KH36 I will add reinforcement plate to the QX Eleven saddle + a M4O Ursli bar and see how it feels.

10 Likes

Its a beaut and a hell of a first 36’er :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Wow, nice, but 13.9 pounds seems impossibly light for a 36er, even with a carbon rim. Is that a carbon saddle base? The weight of the Vee Track monster tire is 3.1 pounds according to their website. Btw, what psi are you running? This rim is hookless but I checked with Nextie and they said you can run up to 60psi. This is with a tube since no current 36er tire is TR.

1 Like

I admin the claimed weight of 6,3kg is using some cheap scale found on aliexpress but it seems like a reasonable weight for this setup. Also note it’s without any handlebar.

Here I’ve assembled the list of components and their claimed weights by their manufacturers.
The nipples/spokes I’ve weighted myself (I’ve got four left after the build) and the shortened seat post is a guesstimate. Uncut 350mm it’s 220g.
Qu-Ax brake lever mount is also a guesstimate.
KH website states the Spirit Hub is below 580g. Unicycle.co.uk claims it’s only 495g.

Item claimed weight in g
KH36 Frame 828
KH seatpost 190mm 150
KH Seatpost clamp 68
QX Eleven saddle 820
Qu-Ax brake lever mount 50
KH Spirit Hub 580
36x Spokes 367mm+nipples 360
Nextie carbon rim 620
Schwalbe SV19 tube 220
Vee Tire Monster 1400
KH Spirit Crank 110/125 378
DMR V12 pedals 430
Shimano MT400 hydraulic brake 300
180mm disc brake rotor 120
TOTAL 6324

I put ~50psi in the tire and left it overnight. Then I reduced it to ~35psi for my first test drive as I’m used to ~30psi on my 27.5 as I wanted to initially have a similar/comparable feel. I will obviously experiment a bit with pressure going forward.

1 Like