Nextie 36" carbon rim

OK, I’ve slept on it, and now had a chance to take a closer look at what happened.

Well I think you’re all right on the money with just a tube failure. Everything else looks perfect still, and the one side of the tyre that didn’t come off the rim is still very well stuck in the bead and the bead hook. I gave it a good push in a few places and it didn’t move.
The tyre has split both sides from the valve, and when I was inflating it I did notice that it seemed slightly more uneven there.

I’d forgotten that I had another tube (a 29" 48-62 airdrop) so that’s gone in now and it’s back to 45PSI. Not sure I’m going to ride it today, but I might take it with me just in case it blows up again, so I don’t scare the crap out of my partner and our animals again.

Sadly on 36" tubes the supply around here is zero for Presta ones (which is what this rim’s drilled for).

2 Likes

Found link on this thread, seemingly available shipping to UK:

Having only been skim reading this thread I thought the whole idea was to be running it tubeless or is there not tubeless 36" tyres available?

No tubeless 36" tires exists.

Vee Tire T-Monster 36" works with the hookless rim according to Nextie (and my own experience - it’s actually my KH36 that is pictured on the Nextie web page). I have not experience any issues with it at all. Using a stretched Schwalbe SV19 tube inside.

The Nightrider Lite needs the hooked Nextie rim according to Nextie.

My hookless Nextie setup with a few pictures from yesterdays ride.

4 Likes

You can always use the sealant to seal the tire’s rubber. It will require a few refills, but you’ll feel the difference. I did set up tubeless every tire I needed. Tubeless ready won’t loose air after first pumping, not tubeless ready ones will require to spin while turning the wheel in everypossible degree. Than ride, refill, ride refill and you are ready to go. Maybe you’ll use 120-150ml instead of 80-100

Theoretically yes they’ll ship here, but who knows long it might take, and that sure is steep for a tube.

At 45PSI the 29" tube has been holding just fine today, so I’m feeling pretty OK about that for now. Availability of that is also considerably better.

2 Likes

After bouncing around in my van all day today my wheel’s still sat at 45PSI and looks as even as when I pumped it up this morning.

I did give it a quick ride across a car park and it seemed fine, but I’ll wait to pass judgement as the whole time I was pretty much just thinking “please don’t blow up, please don’t blow up” so didn’t take too much notice of the ride.

The weather’s taken a turn for the worse here so it might be a while until I ride it next, so I’ve stuck it in the shed to give my other unicycles company.

2 Likes

I think the main risk of running a 29er tube on a 36er rim is that the smaller tube lays flat and snuggly against the rim, making it hard to get it out of the way of the tire when installing it. Even if it looks ok on the outside, all it takes is the slightest impingement of the tire on the tube and then it’s not a matter of if, but when it will blow.

As has been stated many times, there are no TR 36er tires available and trying to run tubeless is not recommended. The carbon rim, lite tire(s) and vee tire 36er tube cut weight significantly without risking a sudden — not to mention messy — blowout, that could result in serious injury. The last thing I want to worry about while riding, especially long rides!

Btw, the NR will not work tubeless, unless you run a “ghetto” setup. Again, not recommended.

I found that the Michelin AirStop 29" 48-62 (1.9-2.5") does seem to extend more than it expands, so I blew it up a little before fitting. This helps to limit the potential for trapping it, and I’m not sure the risk is any greater than with a 36" tube.

For the amount that I massaged it and moved the bead around before initially inflating I don’t think my initial issue was it having being trapped or damaged, more that it was just a stretch too far as I was asking it to stretch in both directions more than its rated size.

I’m in the same camp as you though - saving over 500g is enough. I’m happy enough using a moderately light tube rather than trying to go tubeless or really stretching the limits of what you can get away with.

1 Like

Hey Terry, here’s a question to ponder. If I coat the inside of my 36" tire with wet suit cement (neoprene) do you think it may protect my tire from the chemicals that eat up a non UST tire when I use it for tube less with my mountain rim tube less set up. (?) I like the feel and convenience of tube less and the tire I have now is coming to its end because of mileage and the fluid inside degrading the compounds. No a tube is not out of the question if that is your answer, but would still like your opinion regardless.

Yes, and also the fact that the Nextie is wider than the Brauss which means that a 29er tube has to stretch and fill an even larger space, adding to the risk of failure.

Cheers,

Terry

It does, but the 29" tube I’m using is designed for up to 2.5", so going up from 29" to 36" but down from 2.5" to 2.25".

Based on some quick maths using the BSD and the circumference from the rated inflation size of the tube, I’m stretching it to a total of 11% more than its rated size, rather than the 20/21% it seems if you just go on the wheel size/BSD.

Wetsuit cement, (Aquaseal?), is really tough stuff. 100% silicone sealant would probably work well too. Nothing seems to adhere to it and it’s cheaper.

1 Like

Why doesn’t anyone use 32 tubes? Seems like a better solution.

I don’t think they’re available in Presta and I doubt Schrader valves are long enough.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of anyone doing that before so I really can’t speculate on it. I’d be interested in hearing the results if you do try it though.

Cheers,

Terry

I am really considering this for the tire. I run at 40-45 psi and have never had a problem. but to qualify, I have only ridden it “off road” on the Fullerton Loop so not too strenuous. The Uni was designed and built for on pavement use and the tires have never been an issue, normally wearing out before any issues occur. This last one has been on the longest but I have noticed it “Foaming” at certain spots on the tread side after a long ride. So its time to do something. Thank you again for your input/knowledge.

You are correct, but the silicone sealant won’t stick to the tire without roughing the surface up a little. Aquaseal will adhere to the inside of the tire to make a barrier.

Shoe Goo would be another option. I think it’s probably the same stuff. Probably not any cheaper though.

As you said mIchelin butyl airstop inner tube does not need to be stretched, it just needs to be inflated before mounting.

I uploaded the video I made the last time I mounted a 29" tube in a 36" tyre. The video is intentionally uncut, and unintentionally of poor quality. I’ve added chapters to make it easier to watch. I hope english subtitles will come.

4 Likes