Nextie 36" carbon rim

Let’s hope they’re the right rims for the job this time!

1 Like

I see what you did there… :laughing:

Does that mean there are right and left rims for unis? :thinking: :innocent:

Alice sent me this article on the hooked and hookless 36er “unicorn” rims. (Link below pic)

And here’s a pic of the nightrider mounted on the Nextie hooked carbon rim, and the bead line looks lower (better!) than where it is on my stealth 2 rim.
unicorn-36-inch-carbon-wheel-nextie

https://www.nextie.com/36-inch-tire-fitted

9 Likes

Thanks for the link Terry. In Nextie’s page there is: Actual measurement of bead height: 5.49mm (standard 5.5mm)

I wonder where they got this from? Lots of rims are greater than that. Does this imply all those other rims are “out of standard”?

1 Like

Shipping has begun! :slightly_smiling_face::+1::partying_face::clinking_glasses:

5 Likes

Here’s an advanced look at the finished hooked rim:

5 Likes

I’m a little surprised, why nobody order from supplier folding carbon rim? The technology lets to make it easy. The rim consisting from three or four the same parts. We can see on factory photo, that they metal form is folding too. It will reduse shipping expenses, and users will get at last glad ability for travelling with 36s unicicles if the wheel is disassembled.
Mr. UniGeeser, what do you think?

A rim that can be disassembled is going to be inherently less strong than a single piece one, and more reliant on a perfect wheelbuild.

Shipping feels like no huge problem, and I’ve never wanted to disassemble my 36" unicycle for travel more than taking the frame off (it probably helps that I don’t fly).

1 Like

Quite the opposite. The mould is made from multiple parts, but the whole wheel is one part with no real joints - one of the bigger advantages of carbon fiber wheels is that you don’t have the joint that you would have with an aluminum rim.
You can take a look at the process of making cf rims here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VduPR2Na3f4 (not by nextie, but I guarantee they use a similar process).
Aluminum wheels would be “easy” to make as folding, since most of them have extrusions that are designed for pins to go in at the joint. See the round holes here, pins go in there and you can pin the rim together:

On a carbon fiber rim (and welded aluminum rims), you don’t have those holes, so it’s a lot harder to make them go together from multiple parts. Holes like this are easy to do with aluminium extrusions, but very hard to make with carbon fiber.

3 Likes

You are right if to cut hole rim. But I told about manufactory process.Thay can easy to form any lock ends, (male/female), like the plastic or wooden rails of a toy railroad have.

I think you’re massively underestimating the difficulties of making a carbon rim that somehow clips together and has any reasonable mechanical properties.

2 Likes

Early this morning I received notification that my rim has shipped.

Its not moved very far in China yet, but it’s on the move at least!

1 Like

Mine shipped on the 20th but there hasn’t been any movement since the 23rd. That’s probably because it switches to United States Postal Service and they don’t usually provide tracking service day today, so it’ll probably get here fairly soon.

1 Like

Oh, actually yes mine says it’s been received by the carrier. No idea who the other carrier is or how I might track that part of the journey.

Going to really enjoy watching people’s builds and so hoping that these work out and end up being great.

Interested to see how much duty UK people pay as I see that Nextie’s UK distributor has then for £325 locally.

Hmm.

Well based on the price of that, it’d better be nothing.

Considering that we apparently were getting a discount etc. I’m going to be pretty pissed off if I end up paying ~£80 more than I could get it ordering through a UK distributor. I had no urgent need for this rim, but a desire to see it available.

1 Like

I’m going to use an extra set of black stainless spokes that are about to 6-8 mm too long, and just have my local bike shop cut them down and rethread them. Unless anyone has a link to where I can find 356mm black SS spokes precut, they’d have to be custom-made anyway.

1 Like

we declare a lower value at USD30 when we ship the rim out. You should not be charged high customs duty.

Well, what they’re doing is illegal, but at least I probably won’t be charged any duties on import.
Customs can sometimes be pretty on it here though and if they realise that it’s not being declared correctly they may open it up, see that the invoice doesn’t match, and decide to impose fines as well as charge the full and correct duties.

1 Like

:flushed::exploding_head:

That’s pretty alarming confessional wise!

Fingers crossed you’re ok :crossed_fingers: