Nextie 36" carbon rim

Having spent a long time putting my Nightrider on the Nextie rim - and a gallon of sweat - I can confirm that centering the tire is not an issue as things are so tight. I wish the center part of the rim was deeper, it would make installing easier.
I would have liked a hooked rim too, but as mentioned earlier, it would be more for my peace of mind as I don’t ride at very high pressure - 35psi is plenty hard already, why would I need more. Having an inner tube probably helps at evening the air pressure, and also having no liquid in there (which lubricates the tire and will make it slip off the rim more easily) is probably good.

2 Likes

NR or NR Lite?

Lite

For those using tubes, what rim tape are you using (if any)?

I’m considering something like Kapton tape, or maybe Velocity Rim Plugs for peace of mind.

You could use electrical tape. It works great with Braus rim.

Oh yes. It was a pain to mount the tire! A slight deeper center would have made it easier…

Velox 16mm rim tape fits perfect. Get 2 pieces as a single is not enough for a 36" rim. But there is no rocket science in rim tape. At least not for low pressure so I guess anything will do. I also ordered a KH 36" Rim tape but I decided for the Velux as it’s lighter and the KH seemed a bit overkill to me.

What is the shape of the carbon rims being made now? Do they have the rim bead lock “hump”? Seems like the hump may make it it harder to mount the tire.

1 Like

They have a slight bead lock: Nextie 36" carbon rim - #6 by WeaponizedBacon

It would be interesting to know how deep the flange is though in comparison to a hooked Stealth 2 rim.

Braus rims do not seem to have any hump.

The design for it seems to show a rise towards the well, but not a visually pronounced hump.

1 Like

Okay, I ride on smooth pavement at high pressure, around 60-65 PSI. I’ll join Unigeezer’s MOQ squad. Still waiting until the 7th to hear about returns, unless someone who rides at a lower pressure wants to buy the UD no decal 36H hookless on its way to me.

1 Like

Does anyone see any reason why the existing hookless carbon rims can not be used at 65psi? If the tire is installed correctly, just like a Stealth rim, it should be good at the rated tire pressure.
It does not make much sense to go the the expense and effort to install a CF rim to make riding “easier” then run the tire at a low pressure. A CF rim with low pressure tire may have more rolling resistance then a Stealth rim with a higher pressure tire. Kind of defeats the purpose of using a CF rim in the first place.
In my unscientific seat of the pants testing it seems that my 36er rolls along with much less effort at 65 psi then 35 psi.

1 Like

A lighter wheel is a significantly different feel to a harder tyre.

I’m more interested in how heavy the unicycle is, how fast I can accelerate/decelerate the wheel, and how much effort forward/back corrections takes. The tyre pressure makes little difference to any of those in my experience, whereas a lighter wheel definitely does.

I only run my NR Lite at the pressure I do (35-45PSI) because it doesn’t like to come back out of corners if the pressure’s too low. I used to run the original NR tyre about 10PSI lower.

1 Like

Nextie are rating it at 60 PSI. I bet the blowouts we’ve seen in this thread are partly due to stretched inner tubes, because I just bifurcated five Kenda 700C’s in various attempts to install them to my Stealth2/NR Lite.

Giving a max tyre pressure of 60PSI doesn’t really say anything about what you should actually run tyres at.

Different 36" tyres (including the same tyres from different manufacturing batches no doubt) have different fits - that’s a fact. So it’s basically pointless trying to say what’s good and what’s not until someone has done some proper testing with the different tyres out there.
Individual people having issues may be installation faults, or it might not.

2 Likes

I don’t understand the point of riding a tire at 65 psi, unless of course you weigh 100 kg or more.
Above 50 psi (for a weight of 80 kg including the unicyclist, the unicycle and the equipment), I feel that the unicycle bounces on the slightest irregularities of the road. I find it very uncomfortable at high speed.

6 Likes

I run 50psi in my 24” and 55psi in my 29” and I weigh ~66 kg. The 24” has super soft sidewalls though and the old tire was firmer so I only had to run 40psi. Basically what I’m getting at is sometimes different pressure is needed to acquire your preferred feel and sometimes that pressure can vary dramatically when you change out tires or wheel parts.

Props to you for figuring out how much I weigh

2 Likes

Just got an email from Brian Hisa, the General manager of Nextie, and he said yes, they could ship to each individual buyer “if you could assemble orders of 8pcs hooked version 36 inch rim.”

So all we need are 8 buyers, me being one, and it’s a done deal for the hooked version. Please chime in now by adding your name to this list. I know we had 3 or 4 at last count, but let’s make this the official list.

*I added 4 & 5 since they both stated earlier that they would be interested in the deal. Only THREE to go!!!

1. Terry Peterson
  2. Robin W.
  3. Duff
  4. Tim S
  5. Tim S (2 rims)
  1. Terry Peterson
  2. Robin W

Do they have a technical drawing of the planned/proposed hooked profile?