Nextie 36" carbon rim

So, as I see it. The crosssection for the image up top is preferable rather than the 2 at the bottom…

1. More secure hooking
  2. Deeper midsection, making it easier to mount the tyre

2 Likes

not deep enough, same concern as with Stealth 1 whose profile was same as KH 29 Cross-Country (Stealth2 profile is same as Dominator rims)

Michelin butyl 700 35x47 tube is perfect for me, it gets longer but not fatter when you inflate it, so it takes exactly the 36 tyre size

2 Likes

As difficult as it seems, tyres can almost always be mounted by hand. If you can get it on with plastic tyre levers (which by the nature of going between the rim and tyre actually make it harder for the tyre to go on) then it will be possible by hand.
Not necessarily easy, especially with thicker rim tape, but possible.
I don’t however think it’s particularly likely to have made much of a difference in your case to the issues you’ve had, but tyre levers and a stretched 29" tube do both make it more likely to damage the tube during installation.

To make tyre installation easier they’d have to deepen the well in the middle of the rim.
Deepening the well on a tubeless compatible rim makes tubeless installation much more difficult if not impossible, as the bead will sit in the well with all of the air you’re trying to pump into it leaking around the bottom. Now again we’re perhaps back to what they designed this rim for: not the tyres that currently exist.

2 Likes

To make installation easier, increase the temperature of the tire using a heat gun or setting it in the sun. The rim will not be affected much by temperature because carbon fibers shrink at elevated temperatures. If mounting on a metal rim, cool the rim as much as possible.

This discussion reminds me of the discussions about the braus rim. I’ve heard that many have trouble mounting a KG ultimate tire on it. Personally, I have 2 36" wheels with this rim + tire combination, and mounting the tire is a breeze. Of course, there is a little trick to do by sliding the bead wire in the center of the rim, but most of all, you have to inflate the 29" tube and not just stretch it.

So many people told me that they had difficulties, I filmed myself doing a new installation. The comments are in French, but the pictures speak for themselves.

3 Likes

IMHO, it really depends on 2 things:

• using the right tube: you’d probably want to go with a 29x2.2" tube but that usually won’t work as it’ll become way larger than 2.2" when you’ll inflate it to fit a 36er. The best bet is to use something like a 28x1.8" tube that stays round when inflated. Such as the Michelin Butyl 700 35x47:

• using the right rim tape. Don’t use a stock Nylon Rim tape from UDC, for example. It is too large to correctly fit such a narrow rim. Some electrician tape is perfect as it’ll stick to the rime without filling the central gap.
4 Likes

I prefer paper tape for paint job, about 4 laps if high pressure for road purpose, 3 for off road purpose

Electrican tape will move into spokes holes with high pressure

1 Like

By this do you mean brown paper packing tape?

No , not brown packging tape

So, not this?

If not, I’m not sure what you mean by paper tape.

1 Like

I think he might be meaning masking tape.

1 Like

So this is masking tape

1 Like

Thanks for the how-to - I really enjoyed that and it’s great to see how you can do it.

I have to say I got nervous just watching when you pumped it up - as I’d be wearing goggles and ear defenders :joy:

Second, “I have to say” - you really need to stop making me feel like building a 32h Braus G36er.

I don’t have the skill or really the direct need, but it looks like the nicest wheel I’ve so far seen.

Guessing this is tarmac road only right? Or do you ride this set up on paths too?

(Would also have to pursuade Czech relatives to order a KG ultimate and ship onwards to the UK :thinking:…)

2 Likes

You could probably ride this set up on paths, too, but I don’t think that would be that great. Some people - such as @muni_ben - have built a carbon 36er to ride off-road but that was not with a Schlumpf hub inside. If you’d want to have a light geared uni to go off-road, you’d probably better go with a smaller wheel - 27.5 or 29.

1 Like

I appreciate the video posted showing the mounting of a King George tire on a Braus CF 36" rim with a 29 er tube. Excellent video. I have ordered 29" tubes and King George tires as a result.

Back in Nov Roger posted info stating that the Dominator 2 rim was designed to fit the Nightrider tire. I have read many posts comparing the Nextie rim dimensions with that of the Dominator 2. The Nextie rim was not designed to fit a specific tire and therefore the rim dimensions should not be compared with the Dominator 2. There are a number of 36er tires on the market. I would prefer that the Nextie rim not be designed around the dimensions of the Nightrider tire.

As I posted previously I have experience with hooked 700c Enve and Zipp rims. I can tell you that the location of the hooks, the depth of the rim, the height of the side walls are pretty darn close to identical as the Nextie design. Additionally, it was possible to mount a variety of tires (Continentals / Vittoria / etc) on these CF road rims by hand despite the shallow rim depth. I realize this is not apples to apples but neither is comparing a Nextie rim to a Dominator 2.

Many of the posts, citing issues with a hookless Nextie rim tubeless set-up, cite the use of the Nightrider tire. Again, the Nightrider tire was designed for a specific rim. Perhaps the issues others are having is not due to the design of the Nextie or Braus hookless rims but instead the tire being used in these applications? Just posing the question. Remember, Roger stated in his November post that he requested a rim design that would accommodate the Nightrider tire. Perhaps Roger can provide more insight?

In the video posted above showing the mounting of a King George tire and tube onto a Braus hookless tire tends to support that perhaps the use of a different tire, other than the Nightrider, may have promise with these new CF rims. Would be interested in learning if the King George set up on the Braus rim has been dependable? I wonder if the design of the King George and/or Vee Monster 36er tires may be more appropriate for the Nextie rim? I am not slamming the Nightrider tires - in my experience they work very well with the Dominator rims.

I have ordered some KG tires and 29er tubes. I also have some Nightrider tires as well. I will be mounting the King Georges on the Nextie hooked rims on my 36er bike. My thought is that perhaps the King Georges may be more appropriate for the Nextie rim than the Nightriders.

Lastly I have cancelled several Nextie rim orders (hooked and non-hooked) and received refunds immediately from Alice. She has been a pleasure to work with. She is respectful and very responsive. I have reordered the hooked rims.

1 Like

A little bit of history behind the tyres is useful to explain why the Nightrider (which is the most common) is as good a tyre as any to use as a basis for a new rim.

The tyres were first made in Taiwan in about 1997 by a very small company that primarily made motorcycle tyres. Coker commissioned the tyres to be made for a vintage car project. They then used it to make bikes and unicycles. The manufacturer produced their own tread tool (one of 4 tools used to make the tyre). This was the TA tyre and both Nimbus and Qu-Ax used this tyre initially. Nimbus (unicycle.com) took a move forward and commissioned the Nightrider tyre with this same company. This replaced the tread and weave materials so changing the tyre from 2 ply with a max pressure of 35psi, to 4 ply and 65psi max… but it still used the same bead and carcass tooling!

So although the manufacturing has now been taken over by a bigger tyre factory and the tools re-made. The situation is the same with all 36" tyres (except the V-rubber) they all use the exact same carcass and bead. So it does not matter which tyre you take to match… it will be coming from the same tool.

The exception is the Vee Rubber tyre and it is an almost exact copy of the TA/Nightrider/King George… so it works on the same criteria.

7 Likes

I should respond to this one too, although I think I touched on it on the previous message.

The tyre was not made to match a rim, that is not the way the industry works. It was made to match a standard that was set out and in this case by the initial manufacturer. The Dominator 2 rim was not produced at the time that the tyres were designed but it was optimised to work with them. It was needed because the off the shelf rims had considerable problems mounting the larger tyre to stop it blowing off the rim or being impossible to install…

5 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply to my inquiry Roger. Just a quick point of clarification please. So you are saying that both King George and Nightrider have the same bead profile? I will have to compare when I get the King George tires. From the video posted earlier in the thread it did not appear to be that difficult to mount the King George on the Braus. But I guess the Braus could be different from the Nextie. I guess we won’t know for sure until we receive a Nextie rim to try. I will have both tires on hand so will report findings when I try mounting both the King George and Nightrider. Really appreciate the insight and history!

1 Like

All the Nextie blowouts were Nightriders?
Braus rim users out there, which tire do you have? Nightrider Lite? King George Light?

I rode a King George and now I use a Vee Monster (but last time I rode the 36" was about 4-5 months ago)