Nextie 36" carbon rim

Good news just in from Alice:

<<Hi Terry,

For the Hooked version, we’ll make a small change based on the design we sent you previously. No problem to mount with the nightrider tire. :slight_smile:

We’ll develop the mold and start to manufacture all your rims. Around 4-5 weeks to finish all before shipping. Hope this is good?

Alice at Nextie>>

6 Likes

Since Nextie appears to have a Nightrider tire, I asked Alice if they would test it on their original hookless carbon fiber rim. Here is the response:

"No worries at all. We have tested to mount the tire (nightrider) on the Hookless version rim.
It’s fine to mount with that tire. No air leaking, no blow-off. Everything is fine. :slight_smile: "

I don’t know that I feel any differently about my purchase now, but it’s interesting…

Well if they “just” put it on, there shouldn’t be a problem. Especially as it’s probably just sitting in their workshop, it’s not ridden.
But if they inflate it to 60+ psi, that’s where the trouble started for some!

1 Like

Or inflate it to 60 psi and then leave it in the sun on a summers day.

1 Like

Brian emailed me to say they should complete the new mold in about 2 weeks then will start making the new rims to be shipped. Probably won’t be quite in time for christmas but hopefully by the new year. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Finally got my one built. Putting the tire on was not an easy feat, I got help from my flatmate because it would not cooperate. I feared that would be the case since the Stealth 2 had only just addressed that problem with the stealth 1 being quite a pain. I don’t imagine it will pop off in a hurry, but I am being cautious about how much pressure I use. I’ve had a nightrider blow off the rim at 65 before, and it is such a big noise and not something I want to happen again that I have never been back to max pressure.

I ordered the length of spokes that the calculator had said, and Ian at the bike store said that they were a couple of mm longer than ideal. If only I had known to round down, now the other set I bought might be a bit too long too. The green titanium spokes look awesome, my photo doesn’t do them justice.

Someone could send Alice a stealth 2 rim and she could see how easy it is to install the tire. Maybe it just needs a deeper channel cut out?

5 Likes

Thats sweet! Did you mention before where you sourced the ti spokes?

I got the spokes from https://aerotibike.com/
Maybe I should have mentioned the flange widths when I ordered, I ended up using 2 spoke washers per spoke. It took quite a bit of back and forth emails before I got them to make them. It seems worth the wait, but it felt like forever. I paid USD $2.80 per spoke, and including shipping it was NZD$5.20 per spoke.

I just weighed it on bathroom scales and it came to 5.5kg.

2 Likes

Hey Rowen, that’s the hookless version, right?

Yes.
It actually seated really well, better than I have ever done before I think. First inflate it was bad, second was a bit better, and third inflation settled the bead down perfectly evenly all around. Normally I put it on a bit wonky on stealth rims.

When I mounted my Braus hookless 36er carbon rim there was always a very loud “pop” when the tire became full seated.

Our rims should be very close to completion and shipping! I’m counting on having mine and getting it laced up in time for my 11th century, planned for my 66th on 1.15.22! :+1:

1 Like

11th century, wow that’s awesome! Do you go out 50 miles and back 50 or do more of a lobed approach looping out and coming back to a central point occasionally for water or food?

1 Like

Yes Terry, please share the technique, I use the riverbed out a few miles and back again and repeat. I also have a support group, (family n friends) with all my needed items close at all times. I’m hoping you have similar methods.

I’ll probably ride the same route as before which is 4 out & backs on the beach bike path, so I avoid car traffic. Each out & back is 24 miles plus 4 more at the end to make 100.

1 Like

Just got an email from Alice saying the mold will be completed by tomorrow (12.24.21) Edit: Alice said that they will start shipping the rims in mid-January but that deliveries would still take another two weeks after that so it would be closer to the beginning of February.

1 Like

Thanks Terry, This may inspire me to make it a century, I have never ridden more than 72 miles in one day. A century would be two down and back rides to huntington beach on the river trail. You are an awsome inspiration keep it up.

1 Like

From where it starts way up in the mountains, i read this: “The Santa Ana River trail is a Class 1 Bicycle path that starts in San Bernardino County Mountains that parallels the [Santa Ana River] bed. It will be from the Pacific Crest trail and extends 110 miles to Pacific Ocean [Huntington Beach].”

I wonder if there’s any car traffic at any point.

No, the paved trail drops below the streets where they would have to cross, so no car traffic at least by me.

Ok, I can confirm that the hookless rim is not compatible with the Nightrider tire (as JimT, Unigeezer and others have been warning us), and I probably shouldn’t have even bothered building it.

Initially I used 35 psi, the minimum on the Nightrider, and it was fun to have the lightest 36" I have ever experienced, but after a week or so it felt like it was under the minimum already and I thought I would gamble 40psi, so that I could put that in every once in a while after some leaks out.

I made it about 1km down the road and I was doing around 27km/h down hill and the tire exploded off the rim, leaving me grazed and disappointed in my new wheel. With the difficulty of getting the tire on, and the ease at which it comes off, I don’t believe it is worth the weight savings compared to a stealth 2 rim. The Nextie 36" rim sounded too good to be true, I wanted to believe them that it would be OK.

I was only doing 30km/h when I broke both of my wrists falling off the Schlumpf, luckily this time I wasn’t wearing a heavy bag, or the watch which contributed to the break -it could have been worse. My right wrist is a bit sore.

Now I think Nextie 36" Unicorn sucks! I wrote to them about it to let them know what I think, I wonder if they will publish my 0 out of 5 star review for it. Maybe I should ask for a refund.

2 Likes