New Torker AX 29

Hello Xtor, Thank you for making those measurments! This certainly helps.

Crashing… have you tried a 29? I know it isn’t what you want as far as the type of riding you do, but I was just curious if you realize that the 29 handles well… I wouldn’t have thought so until I tried it myself.

Hello Unibug,

I’ve a 24" Nimbus Muni, a 28" Sun, and Nimbus 36" that I ride regularly. When I rode the nimbus muni up, down, and hopping (two 'p’s! :D) around the little hills at the park last summer my arms and shoulders joints became surprisingly sore. It took 4 months for them to heal. So my idea is to get a lighter park unicycle. I thought a lighter AX 26" would be better. Of course then I found out a 26" AX wasn’t available.

I’m sure that 29" AX with that 2.3" wider tire rides much better then my Sun 28" so I couldn’t lose (one ‘o’! :smiley: ) with 29" AX, but I was considering putting a 26" wheel on it.

Hi Crashing,
Aha, you have a Nimbus 36 … I’m out of my league! :stuck_out_tongue:
I have no idea why there isn’t an AX-26, but if you can put a 26" wheel on it that would be great… but I’m confused though… how would a light weight uni keep arm and shoulder joints from getting sore? :thinking:

(appreciate the concentration on spelling. I’m an elementary school teacher. :stuck_out_tongue: Can’t you tell?)

It took me a long time to figure out why I was getting so sore. The repetitive pulling up on the seat when I hopped strained my arms and shoulders. Eventually there were days I couldn’t raise my arms or turn a doorknob. Only when I stopped hopping for a long time did it heal. I must have poor technique, but I figure a lighter uni wouldn’t hurt.

Your a teacher! Great, thanks for hanging in there! I still feel guilty that I was such dull brat for my teathers in school.

What about lacing a 26" rim to the existing hub? Are suitable 48 hole rims available?

That makes sense. I haven’t done any hops or successful drops on my 24. It has no handle and is quite heavy. I think the AX has spoiled me cause I don’t even feel the weight when I pull it up (not that I have to pull very far or often :stuck_out_tongue: just starting small drops) . I think a lighter uni would be better as long as you weren’t too rough with it.

I’ll bet your teacher’s loved you. :slight_smile:

Hello t-square, The way I see it, since changing to a 26" rim would require new spokes, then all that is left to the wheel is a ~$25 hub, I’d just as well replace the hub also and build a second complete wheel. Beside that original 29" inch wheel is sweet.

I have already made the mistake of changing a rim, only to later buy a hub and rebuild the old wheel for another uni.

Edit: I just re-read your post, I guess my answer explains that I’m not worried about the number of the holes in the existing rim. I’d probably get a 36 spoke hub.

Thanks for the idea.

I called udc today. I was disappointed to find that hub I liked would not fit the torker, and the only hub that would fit is out of stock. So my plan to put a 26" wheel on the 29" frame would require doing what t-square suggested, swapping the rim of the 29" with a 26". I have seen 48 spoke rims available, but I’m not ready to give up that nice 29" wheel.

Let us know how it works out when you get it put together! Pics would be great too.

Hey, I have a torker ax 29er. It’s really light, and seems pretty strong. It seems lighter than my 20" learner. I’ve also done a few 2-foot drops with it, and it holds up fine. However, it does have a square taper hub and a single wall rim. The frame seems pretty strong too. The rim does seem a little narrow though. Occasionally I feel the tire fold a little, but otherwise… I threw some 102 mm cranks on it, and boy is it fast! I’ve never used a coker, but i figure that a 29 is best for all around cruising. I actually don’t know why you’d want to puta 26" rim on…

i have an AX29, i’ve had it for about 4 months now, and put perhaps 600 miles on it (mostly commuting and just riding around to places, but a fair amount of Muni as well).

I’ve never seen an LX in person, but from what i gather, many of the components on the AX are borrowed from the LX (saddle, and probably the hub as well). I have broken a hub spindle on my AX, about a month ago (as the OP did to his LX), and Torker replaced the wheel under warranty (as they did with the OP). As far as the saddle, sometimes it gives me sore spots, but i’ve never ridden another type of saddle (except children’s saddles), so i don’t really have anything to compare it to.

i have the LX 24…i;ve had it for 2, going on 3 years now and haven’t had any problem…but i don’t ride that often (once, maybe twice a month)…i just started riding more often so i’ll get back to you…i did notice a clicking in the right pedal yesterday…i have to check that out

the pedal is probably not tight enough. I had to tighten them on my LX every week. The threads got stripped in the aluminum cranks so i got a new DX last week.

What hub was it that would fit?

Good question. I’ve forgotten exactly what hub I was scheming with then. I eventually bought a 29" KH frame, and presently have a 24" wheel in it. I had tried 29 and 24" wheels and found I like the 24" muni wheel best.

Can we get some pictures of your set up? I’d love to see how the 24" tire sits in the 29 frame.

Thanks

So here is a 24" wheel in a 29 KH frame!

ax 29 for 200 $ with free shipping

http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=8137

To answer your question…

I had something similar happen with my Torker cx 24. the threads came right out of the crank and the pedal literally fell out. Granted, this is the cheapest Torker uni one can buy, but I only had it for 3 weeks and was just learning to ride. Based on my experience, I wouldn’t buy the Torker CX model ever again, and although I don’t have much experience with other Torker models, I probably won’t buy them either.
I should be receiving a Nimbus 29" with a splined hub today, so hopefully my second uni experience will be better than my first :slight_smile: If not I guess I will have to spend the 7 billion dollars for a KH.