New Torker AX 29

We’ve had the three AX sizes in our store for 2 weeks now (for once, being on the West Coast helps you get things sooner!), and I’ve ridden them a little bit. (Full disclosure: I’m a retailer, but I’ve been riding for 27 years.) The AX looks like an LX, but feels much lighter. This makes for quick, responsive turns, and less effort overall, but requires a little more finesse. With gentle corrections, it’s really smooth.

The crown still works for one-foot idling, even though it’s gently curved. (Not as steep as other frames, and wider.) The manufacturer’s picture still shows chromed posts, but they are actually black (as in the UDC photos). You may notice that the Torker photo of the 24" is not glossy like the others - it has been “computer adjusted” from silver.

Overall, I’d say the AX will appeal to anyone wanting an easy-feeling cruiser (especially the 29"), or anyone wanting to lighten their travel weight.

-Ben Schoenberg
Serious Juggling
Portland, Oregon

I thought i did but it turned out to be a 29er. :frowning:

It looks real pretty. How comfortable is the seat?

It must be pretty comfortable considering it is a torker. What i want to know is, will they make a coker size tire for this?? If so, when?? :thinking:

The seat is the Torker LX Miyata style saddle. It’s not one of the most comfortable seats but certainly not the worst. I however like to equate it to sitting on a brick.

The only unicycles I have are Torkers. So, I don’t have anything to compare to.

That being said, it could be more comfortable. I have thinking about changing the seat but do not know what to get.

I presume you mean a 29er bike, because it’s the AX 29er that i’m looking for.

No, this is what i mean by 29er. :smiley:

http://www.unicycles.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=169&mid=941&ctl=CatalogItemDetails&CatalogItemID=63&SubCategoryID=29&pagenumber=0

Any more feedback about the AX 29?

Looking for an XC type uni. Won’t be doing any drops. Would the aluminum frame be durable enough for moderate trails over the long haul?

Sorry, I have been riding trails, but I think it is more then strong enough to do so. It certinly takes the curbs I ride off.

If there some trails around these parts I might be able to tell you more

Practically any unicycle ever made will take curb drops without breaking.

Read the “Qu-ax?” forum for more information on this uni. Those guys are into excessively abusing unicycles.

I was looking for a lightweight unicycle and that Torker AX looked perfect for a sturdy, inexpensive unicycle. I was about to buy one, only when I went to order did I notice… they skipped size 26 inch, which is the size I wanted. I wonder why they skipped 26".

Yeah. I wondered why they went from 24 to 29 too.

Looks decent but I’m torn between a 26 and a 29.

I think it’s more of which will suit your height or if you’re a speed freak, the 29 will be perfect as i maybe getting one soon. But then again i think the 26 is cheaper. But if you can’t decide, get a coker. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Coker. Coker. Coker! Yeah, someday :smiley:

Get the one with the T7 handlebar if you do someday though. :smiley: :smiley:

I really like that AX light aluminum frame, would actually prefer if I could use a 29" wheel for the type of riding I have in mind, but worry that 29" is just too big.

I wondering about the possibility of retrofitting the 29" with a 26" wheel later on, should the 29" not work out. Would like to know how wide a 26" tire it could take.

Please, measure the distance between the legs of the 29" AX frame at about a 26" wheel size. Would a 26" wheel on a 29" frame be such a bad idea? (ignoring ~$135 extra cost of the wheel)

Good question. Anybody out there try this?

The distance between the legs is 3.18 inches, between the wheel bearings 2.95 inches.

Hope that helps.