New Prototype disk brake muni?

Well I have to say, we heard a lot of scraping as the bikes went past.

A Cut?

Hey you guys are too uptight, No one on this forum including myself has “Invented” any of this including the caliper mount. I have already done that and more yet have advanced past the thought that adapting an idea is an invention. try to get monitary compensation but the guy who produces and sells it wins that game and we profit from the better equipment. Let the competition begin, Make us some more new stuff.

Hey kb1jki- what is my cut- I used the crank disc in the 80’s and still have mine. Progressed to a hub mount unit hydrolic disc, my cut UDC? and a suspension. Good thing no one has seen my drive shaft 11 ft giraffe.
What about my tandem? Should we not be able to make things without claiming that it is exclusive?

Let’s let them make our toys, then steal the idea.

I have applied for pat pend. it is my innovation.

I guess it is time for your lawyer to contact UDC. If you do not defend a patent I believe it becomes invalid. (I am not a lawyer, but I talk with them on occasion.)

Scott

No it is NOT your design has been used we Fixes on and off for the last 5 years :angry:

And Is been Used on some motorcycles for the last 20 years.

You have just add it to ONE wheel?
Motorcycles and Fixes have had a Disc mounted on the front Sprocket :astonished:
See You have just copyed the Idea :frowning:
Pete G…

I haven’t seen a fixie or any bicycle with a fork that bolts directly to a bearing up front, so a bearing cap caliper mount is unlikely -in 20 years of working Boston bicycle shops… I’m sure I would have seen one.

as far as motorcycles, perhaps, but likely part of a linkage… a bit different.

As I said Some Old is Just the Some Old design :frowning:
Motorcycle had mounts made like this back in the 1970’s to change from drum brake to disc.
Mounting a disc on the crank has been around for years with Fixes.
We motorcycles we have had a disc mounted on the front sprocket to save wright in the rear wheel (and for some custom’s)
Things Just keep coming back and called New??
Pete G…

You are a great fabricator and innovater, you have made unique things in an excellent manner. I am guessing that you used a spline spindle 3 piece crank design fitted with a disk instead of a chain ring for your crank disk in the 80’s. the isis with crank spacers is very similar, the difference is subtle, my rotor is machined to be fitted like conventional chain rings. I’d like to see a picture of yours! the reason that I did that is because conventional rotors have a 44mm BCD that can rub the bearing holder and frame, (square taper axles afford only 1mm of space, ISIS is more forgiving) and the spline style 3 piece cranks use only one bolt to fix the rotor in place and “wobble” in the caliper.

I believe we have a lot in common, neither of us is actually uptight. The difference between us is that I am trying to bring a disk brake system to market for the masses and not just custom builds. the bolt on bearing cap caliper mount is the key ingredient in such a system, to retrofit unicycles that do not have caliper mounts for both inboard and outboard rotor systems. I am sure that a drive shaft giraffe exists since I have seen a zig zag frame on the forums, and KH also had a crank mounted disk brake back in the day… but thier relevance eludes me, since their conception was to entertain a hobby and not build a business. You build great things in the spirit of fun and to see if it can be done. I appreciate that, can you appreciate what I’m trying to do?

UDC has world wide distribution, marketing, and manufacturing of unicycles, a rather minute industry. they can squeeze the little guy out of such a finite market by copying designs and ideas. exclusivity of a design… which wasn’t observed until mine was produced, is my competitive edge. The patent office will determine if it’s patentable. I’m still waiting for their response.

Sysip fabricated a crank that received a brake rotor on one of it’s fixies, my rotors are specialized to unicycles since the bolts don’t interfere with the frame around the bearing holder and feature a 110mm bcd.

a motorcycle front sprocket… like a gear or a cog -was this a 2x2? or an axle mounted bearing cap on the fork? seriously, what are you talking about? I will concede if we’re talking about the same thing but possibly the words for things in NZ are different than what they mean in the US, maybe I’m not understanding.

if the idea, or application is in fact unique, would you be offended by my attempt to patent it so that UDC can produce most of them instead of me? you see, it doesn’t prevent me from licensing the technology to meet the demand and still grow a company. More companies = more competition = better prices & better products. I love UDC, but I don’t want them to swallow up the whole market. let’s face it, they’ll make lots of new unicycles with frame mounted disks and I’ll have a different sort of disk that doesn’t require a dished wheel and retrofits to aluminum frames so there is no need to weld on a caliper mount, if it’s patentable. do they have a free market down there or does “made in china” appeal that much to you?

If I do get a patent, UDC could still be a Kodak to my Polaroid… and I don’t want what happened to Polaroid to happen to me. if I can’t get a patent so be it.

it wasn’t my intention to take over the thread. sorry.

Unicycle.com have had a disc brake project going on for the last 5 or 6 years. We discarded the external disc brake option several years ago and went for an internal disc brake option for various reasons and have had one in production for over a year.

The mounting of the caliper of the brake on to the frame is something totally different from the location of the disc that you have described so far. Are you saying that you trying patent the mouting of the caliper to the frame? Mounting off the lower section of the frame (bearing housing) is the obvious option for anyone fitting brakes for mass market and is an option we have been working on for some time.

Roger
PS we don’t manufacture our unicycles in China. We are very open about where we have our unicycles manufactured. They are made in Taiwan and we keep a close eye on the factories that are used to produce them to be sure that there is no exploitation.

I don’t see what the fuss is… the MountainUni disk brake system seems like a completely different product than the UDC brake system we’re seeing in this thread (and which we all knew would get produced eventually). The disk-on-hub approach requires a wheel rebuild with a new hub and a place to mount the caliper. The disk-on-crank approach just requires new cranks and a place to mount the caliper. If people wanted to fit either system to their old frame, they would need to either weld on a bracket or bolt on a mount for it… where else would it go than the bearing cap?

If I were going to put a disk brake system on my unicycle I would go with the MountainUni product just because it would be easier to install. I don’t see how UDC introducing a hub mounted disk brake system takes away from that market (with or without a bearing cap caliper mount).

Thank you Spudman

Thank you Spudman for the logic and level headed approach to our design and it’s application for the potential market. We are getting closer everyday, and realizing that the enthusiasm we feel and want to show the UNI community needs to be tempered somewhat, to ensure our products viability and future. The timing and release of the Mountainuni system will have us protected.

Twitter teaser

I subscribe to the Unicycledotcom Twitter feed. They sent out a message today to announce “Lots of brake choices now on all the 24, 26, 29 inch muni’s and touring unicycles” which I took to mean that the prototype (Nimbus disc brake 26" Muni with Large Marge rim and Surly Larry 3.7" tire) that Josh was riding at Vancouver is going into mass production this spring or early summer. Is this just wishful thinking by a Nimbus 36" Impulse (I love my disc brake) owner looking to get into MUni?

I almost hesitate to resurrect this thread (went off topic) but the picture attached to the original post is blown up and hanging above my desk so needless to say I will be one of the first off the line just like I was with the Impulse.

UDC usually gets the new stuff in April or August, I wouldn’t be surprised if they had a few coming… enough time to save up dude. are you going for a 24, 26, or 29?

maybe this is a silly question, but is it really that hard to build muni frames with IS or post mount tabs on them? also, do those bearing cap mounts not have any flex, since they are floating so high up there? making frame specific mounts that press up against the tube would obviously remedy that problem, but all of the mounts I’ve seen have a few cm gap between the top of the mount and the post.

anyhow, its cool seeing all the innovation that goes into this sport. xc biking really hasn’t had any innovation at all recently, aside from constant improvements to full suspension frames (which doesn’t mean much for a guy that only rides hard tail). I am really looking forward to watching this sort grow along side with me :slight_smile:

I feel like I hijacked the thread and hope to cause the discussion to continue regarding the new disk brake product from UDC, and not talk about the other designs unless the OP feels like bringing that up. any Q’s about the MU system should be on another disk brake thread.

Definitely the 26"

Now that I think of it, I got my Impulse in April. I want to be one of the first off the assembly line again.

Definitely the 26" hopefully with a Large Marge Rim and Surly Larry tire.

Steel versus Aluminum hub

Let’s talk about UDC using a steel hub instead of the aluminum hub on my Impulse. Not that I have had any problems but I don’t do much more than a hop off the curb. I plan on being rough on my MUni.

yes, a Muni would have a steel spindle not an aluminium one.

Roger