New Guni Hour World Record- 29.993km

Nice job on the blog, Ken. Maybe I missed earlier posts here about this, but what happened when your tire exploded, and what do you think caused this? That seems really scary, and it also seems hard to avoid injury at that speed.

Not quite exploded, but I did get a fast hissing sound followed by a flat tyre a few min later.

I’ve had about 6-7 Flats on thee 29’er tube this year. It’s annoying…I would have saved a lot of time and money if I’d gone straight for a tubeless conversion, but that has to wait until I get back home to NZ.

The flats have been variably caused by:
-Cat Heads (this thorny plant that litters the grass/roadsides where I work). It’s like thumb tacs.
-pinching the tube during installation
-a broken valve
-combinations of the above. I remember fixing my tyre, and then having two punctures in quick succession within the next two rides from Cat Heads.

Does this record still stand? A few local track bike enthusiasts are holding an omnium and are looking at including an hour record attempt. Unicyclists have been invited to participate.

For more details see Facebook

Seems like a velodrome would not be optimal for the unicycle hour record, we don’t go fast enough to benefit from a velodrome right? I’ve never been on one before, but from what I have heard it wouldn’t be great.

Sounds like a fun event though! I may have to join.

As well I know it hasn’t been broken yet :slight_smile:

Yes, and in fact it is printed in the newly released Guinness Book of Records (well done Ken - in there again!).

As said, I don’t think a velodrome would be a good place to set unicycle records - too steep to use the banking (I’ve tried, and won’t try again), corners are too sharp to go fast on the flat.

Have fun on the bikes though.

Sam

I agree, velodromes tend to be too steep. The lower sections also tend to be badly surfaced as well!

This being said I have found a 500m one recently that may work well. It only has a very slight gradient and looks really smooth.

I am not saying I am in for it…

Roger

We’ve completed the IUF World Record Guidelines- just needs approving by the IUF Exec and we should be able to set records that meet the requirements of our sport.

Having said that…I didn’t realise I was in next years Guinness Book- thanks Sam! I haven’t seen it in the shops yet.

Regarding velodromes- my record was set in very shallowly banked cycle-track, which is used by the local track cycling club, although I wouldn’t call it a real velodrome.

The ones I’ve ridden on have been difficult to control. Once you hit the steep banking, it’s hard to track in a straight line. I’m sure with practice some people could.

Thanks for all the info. I would be riding on the flat. Australian velodromes tend to be more oval and longer than the European velodromes. The venue for this event is about 333m long.

If you intend on doing this either with Guinness WR guidelines, or if you want the IUF Guidelines, send me a PM.