New Guni Hour World Record- 29.993km

Amazing achievement. Well done.

That extra 7 metres: if you’d done 10 more, you’d only have been thinking, “Could I do 30.25?”

My personal best (in less controlled conditions) was a mere 2/3 of what you achieved - although I didn’t have your fancy-Dan gears!:wink:

Wow, congrats Ken! That is impressive.

Kris

Once again, at least for now, you are THE man, Ken.

Congratulations!

(We would love a video on youtube!)
:slight_smile:

Well done! Did you use that extremely long handle bar setup you posted a while ago?

You mean to say Ken is awesome!

Just wait till he gets older and discovers that trying to ride his age gets more and more difficult.

Congratulations Ken on a great achievement!

If your lap length would have been assessed as no more than 406.65 m, you would have had enough for a round 30.000 km. Displacing the measured line just 16 mm to the outside already produces that difference.

Great work Ken! Any faster and you’d have to make pit-stops to change your tire from burning so much rubber!

No you don’t. You’re Hard-Corb!

Then again, if that means you don’t have the Schlumpf on your 24, then we might be able to keep up with you on muni rides…

Congratulations Ken!

What are your thoughts on possibly doing it again in the future, clipped in? Could you see any speed advantage there?

Thanks again everyone. I have to go to work today, but will do a writeup later this evening. There are photos and I’ll stick a couple of vids on youtube.

Regarding news coverage…it’s required by Guinness when making a submission to have witnesses and media to corroborate the attempt. The local paper (Daily Liberal) and local TV station (WIN TV) were there. But more surprisingly TVNZ was there…I don’t know how they found out about it! So if you’re in New Zealand tune in to TV1 news tonight.

As for missing out on 30km…I know it can be done (I’ve done twice in training!). There are so many ‘if’s’ in terms of calculation. The course could have been rounded up to 407m instead of 406.55, or the fact that I was riding outside of the inner circumference means I must have technically ridden over 30km (but that goes with any World Record measurements- it has to be inner diameter), or the fact that the surveyours measurement was made by taking cuts of the track every 5m and calculating a straight line (perhaps he could have taken shorter segments for a few extra cm’s per lap).

What it adds up to is…it doesn’t make one iota of difference!!! These were the measurements I had before the Hour Record attempt, and it was what I knew I was working with, so I’m not about to try and change the rules or measurements to suit.

I have a feeling that the local newspapers have rounded up the measurement to 30km, but 29.993km is the official one I’ll be submitting to Guinness.

No, it wouldn’t have been much faster or slower…but I never got around to building a V-frame. I do like the 7 frame position, but it was just too flexy and hard to accelerate because of that.

I used the KH T-bar (thanks Kris- I like it!), and a cut-down KH Gel Seat (question for Kris, why are they all so thick?)

Munimutant- I dont’ think I’d be doing it clipped in…with short cranks and a grippy pedal I was quite happy with how it spun…and I don’t have enough experience riding clipless on a Uni to give that a go. I would like to try shorter cranks though…130’s instead of 145mm. It wasn’t until the last week or so when I felt I was close to needing shorter cranks. Before that I had a huge amount of trouble accelerating and powering up the Schlumpf 36"

Congratulations Ken!

That is a huge advance for the 24 hour record! I’m sure it won’t stand long, but you sure have made it tougher for the next guy.

Way to go!

—Nathan

Newspaper Article in todays Daily Liberal:

Thats great Ken

Congratulations Gizmoduck.Now that your famous can we claim you as an aussie like we did with Pharlap,the pavlova and Russell Crowe.:slight_smile:

congratulations Ken!
The cours looks very good. I hope you will post some more pictures.

Wow… my name is in an New Zealand newspaper :smiley:

lol :slight_smile:
cuz in the olympics, he danced 1/2 way down the track.

A massive CONGRATULATIONS Ken.

When you talk to people about this record and also when we talk to people about it, it will always be 30km and not 29.993km!

Well done again Ken - as always, you’re an inspiration.

Steve

Hehe, you guys can have Russell Crowe.

I was thinking of wearing my NZ team cycle jersey at the record, but opted for an old sponsor of mine instead.

I’ve finally got around to writing up about my hour record attempt, and get my photos and videos online.

Read about it in my blog: www.kenlooi.net/wp

Ken