NAUCC 2013 discussion thread

Yep, real GPS data is always better than using MayMyRide’s figures. Garmin does a pretty good job, especially over multiple runs.

cant wait for NAUCC . this year will be my first year :smiley:

I posted this to the Facebook page, but will repost here as not all who are here are on Facebook:

[I]Our non-unicycling (but still cycling) friends are a HUGE part of this NAUCC. We’ve got experts volunteering to lend a hand in their respective disciplines.

The 10k and Crit will have volunteers from the Butler Freeport Trail Council who run an annual 1000 attendee 1/2 Marathon.

The Marathon will be run by team AG3R who are not only a great team, but they have organized and managed road stage race events before.

Our cyclocross course is being designed and built by Matt, who’s a bike fitting professional by day and passionate cyclocross and mountain bike racer on the weekends. He’s also and excellent course designer who specializes in cyclocross courses.

Just yesterday Brad and Tanya volunteered to help with MUni at Moraine. Brad has ridden Moraine for over a decade and course marked for bike races there several times. Anytime he’s involved the only way to miss a turn is to ride a lap with your eyes closed.

Street and Trials courses will be in cooperation with The Wheel Mill. We don’t have all the final details yet, but The Wheel Mill continually exceeds our expectations.

If you miss this year you will be missing a truly spectacular cycling experience. Unicycling is still cycling. We’ll just be using one wheel.[/I]

We still have a lot of people who have expressed interest who have not registered yet. The sooner you confirm your plans, the better we can plan. We have attempted to keep this whole convention very affordable. Our Early Bird registration price was optimistic on our end (we offered it to encourage early registrations). We were behind on the number of registrants when it closed. We’re still behind on what we predicted based on past number and the level of interest on Facebook and the forum here.

All along we have sought outside sponsorships to cover some costs. Some of these have been better than expected and some haven’t materialized.

Our site has been up to date with what has been confirmed, but we have some events and details which still have to be finalized. Honestly, some of the choices come down to budget considerations. NAUCCs are entirely volunteer run and are not-for-profit. We plan to continue this tradition, but we also can’t afford to lose a lot of money on NAUCC 2013.

The short story: we will make this work with what we’ve got, but the more people we know are coming (and are fully registered- signed up for the event and paid) the more we have to spend to make this the best possible NAUCC we can.

We will not disappoint the unicycling community or the spectating public, but there’s a big difference between a good event and an amazingly mind-blowing event.

We want the latter.

We need unicyclists.

I’m not registered because my participation depends on my work situation; I won’t know for about a month more.

Steve,
R U attending this year?

Tholub, we’d love to have you check this one out! If you can make it, fabulous. You’re not one of the usual suspects for an NAUCC so we weren’t expecting you.

If you can make it, bonus.

We hope you like the Distance and MUni courses. There’s a lot of good East Coast (actually Mid-Atlantic) MUni around here. Unfortunately we don’t have enough time during NAUCC to even scratch the surface of the places to ride within a 1 1/2 hour radius.

It looks like we need to have some MUni Weekends (+ a bit more) in the future…

I’ll answer for him- YES! (He’s booked his accommodations).

Looks like it may be a good week for the unofficial 5 year RTL reunion!

I probably won’t be doing distance if I come; RTL was enough distance for me. But the MUni sounds great; my mountain bike friend who lives in Pittsburgh says that Moraine is like Rockville Hills, probably my favorite park out here.

I’m probably not going to make it due to some family issues that have come up.

If I were to come up it would be last minute and only for a long weekend.

Have you been advertising through UDC?

UDC will stuff inserts into all packages they mail at no cost, all you need to do is send them a stack of fliers.

2 Questions.

1. On Monday is the MUNI Fun ride at the state park. Is this kid friendly? Are there going to be groups of riders organized to go on easier rides. Or is this mainly to check out the expert MUNI trails. We might take this day to see the non-unicycling sights in the area.

2. I see that in the past, from reading the rulebook, they have had age 8 and below breakouts for track events and they ride 20 inch unis. I know it is probably too early to determine age breakouts, but I am thinking of fitting my 8 year old to a 24 by taking a hacksaw to the frame. But if he can’t use it I will leave it as is.

Our family is really looking forward to this - well the 3/4 part of the family that is unicycling. No chance of converting the remaining 25%.

The logo for our team shirts - Team Lobster - has been created. The kids love having a team shirt. And we are debating what our team helmets will look like - to use a lobster hat or not? I am thinking it will be too hot and the claws might get a little annoying after a while.

Based on past experience, no matter how much the kids enjoy the event, when asked after the trip what the best part was they will say the “pool at the hotel.” :slight_smile:

Thanks Unigoat for all your work on this event.

First of all: Thanks for taking the time to read the rulebook!

As far as question #1 goes, you are correct that the pre-ride on Monday is to check out the Moraine MUni trails. We will be checking both the Advanced and Expert courses by splitting into two groups at the appropriate times. It would not be a fun day for young kids or beginners. It would be a great day to sightsee and check out other area attractions in the morning (the afternoon gets a bit busy).

It’s been a while since the Moraine terrain has come up so I would like to reiterate that the off road trails there can be quite challenging. We took a lot of time evaluating whether or not we could use Moraine for Beginner MUni courses. We couldn’t find ideal terrain at Moraine to make it happen. The Advanced and Expert categories are another story. Due to the difficulty of the trails (and the opportunity for fabulous MUni!) we wanted to make sure Competitors had a block of time in the schedule to know what to expect on race day. They’re very rideable (and a ton of fun), but they are typical Mid-Atlantic East Coast Trails. Many riders may not be familiar with the terrain out this way and we want people to have fun and be safe.

As far as question #2 goes, we do have close to 100 people for some events on Track day. I did a quick check of the number of riders under the age of 12 and got less than 15. This was an admin function so it’s not available to most. I honestly don’t think we’ll get enough to make the 24" a viable option for 8 year olds.

As far as the rest of the message goes, we don’t need to convert the other 1/4. All teams need managers. If you’ve checked the schedule recently, you’ve seen that there are a lot of options opening up for those who don’t have an interest in having one-wheeled fun.

As we’ve often found, the convention aspect of NAUCC are some of the best times we’ve had. The people make it special. Competitions should be about pushing the limits, but the time in between is what makes NAUCCs my favorite time of the Summer.

Good luck on the coordinating outfits!

Thanks for the thanks, but realize that I’m not even officially the Event Director. That would be my wife (she’s not even on the forums). She’s in charge. Without her this would most definitely not be happening. Without the help of some other key players both locally and not (Thanks Scott! - and a bunch of others too who aren’t here on the forums) this NAUCC would not shape up to be nearly as good as it will be.

It’s all a team effort.

One last thing: as we get some final details ironed out, we are going to be adding many more exciting opportunities to NAUCC 2013. Keep checking the site.

We’ve finally got some of our summer vacation plans sorted out. I’m excited about the chance to attend my first NAUCC and my wife and I are looking forward to the week in Butler County.

Despite all the years I’ve been learning, I’m not too advanced, but I like unicycling and hope to have some fun by participating in a couple track events (100m, 400m) and the Beginner MUni. I may have signed up for a few events that are beyond my skill level (like the obstacle course or 800m race), but we’ll see. If nothing else, I’ll be getting some great exercise while preparing and training.

The two thoughts that are part of my unicycling:
A goal properly set is halfway reached – Abraham Lincoln.
We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

Bruce, NH

A little more info about age groups for track. There will be several age groups and they depend on wheel size. It will likely be as follows: 0-12 (24" wheel maximum), 0-8 (20" wheel maximum) and 9-10 (20" wheel maximum). So your child can either choose to ride a 20" or 24" and be put into the correct category depending on that. My recommendation would be to stick with a 20" wheel. Something to note is that for 20" wheels, the minimum crank length is 100mm so if you want to give your kid the best chance, you should switch to that length instead of 114mm or 125m that the unicycle probably came with. Hope that helps!

Thanks Scott and Unigoat for the info. That helps a lot. I am planning on sticking to the 20 inch with my youngest. But I may switch to shorter cranks. I want to make sure it is fun for my kids.

Our plan is to have a great time, not to win. I am hoping my kids (8 & 11) come back as univangelists for UNICON in Montreal. We have a large group up here, but very skeptical about competing. Parade uniing is seen as a lot different from sport uniing - which it may be. I am hoping to show that going to an events like this can be a great experience even if you are not bringing home medals. Although one tiny tiny medal would be nice. :slight_smile:

They may get interested in the Artistic (which can be used in parades), or Uni Basketball, or Uni Hockey, too (which can also be used during parades). Lots happens while just hanging out during unstructured time, showing off an learning new tricks, trying different size unit, watching the actual shows, jugglers, etc.

It’s June 1st. NAUCC 2013 regular registration closes June 15th. When regular registration closes so do certain events. You will not be able to sign up for any Freestyle events after June 15th. Orders for event shirts end the 15th as well (they are all tech T’s!). We may order some extras, but they will be first come/ first serve on-site for those who have not pre-ordered.

Judging from current registration numbers, this is the year for Distance, MUni, and Track. We have over 45 people registered for the Marathon and Time Trial, close to 100 for the Crit and 10k (Standard class included), and over 65 for Advanced/Expert MUni at beautiful Moraine State Park. Once the Beginner MUni is figured in, the number of MUni riders is near 100.

The 100m, 400m, and 800m Track events are close to 100 riders in each too.

If you ride unicycles outside and skip this convention you’ll be able to hear about it from others for years to come.

Remember, you need to be registered to ride. There will be on site registration only after the 15th, and the price jumps to $130.

To say we’ve got public support is an UNDERSTATEMENT.

Our sponsors are phenomenal. Events and opportunities are being added at a nearly alarming rate. Actually, I have to do more site edits after I finish this.

If you miss this NAUCC, don’t worry- you’ll hear about it from those who made it here.

Reminder: registration closes June 15th. http://www.uninationals2013.com/reg

After that there will only be on site registration July 21st-27th with some events being closed (mostly gym events).

Hey,

I have a question, I registered for the Street, Flatland, and Trials events but do I have to attend all three? For the flatland will NAUCC be expecting me to show up? We are not sure for what days we are heading up for yet…

thanks,

It should be possible to edit your registration info on the web site. The hosts would very much appreciate if you can remove yourself from any events you know you won’t be attending; it makes things much easier in the setting up of the events.

I’ll be attending as a spectator and cheering for everyone. I hope to meet some of my YouTube hero’s. If you see an old fat guy with a handsome big red dog that will be me. Stop and say hello. Best wishes to all of you.

Thanks Glenn! Bring friends to check it out too!

Our goal since day 1 was to make this an incredibly spectator friendly event showcasing all aspects of unicycling. That’s why we have done a TON of public appearances with NAUCC flyers in hand. We’ve been on local access cable. We’ve had a table at roller derby events (and were the halftime show last time). We have 2 appearances scheduled for the Carnegie Science Center during their Bikes exhibit. We’ve been to a bunch of local cyclling events (always riding in them too). We’ve been listed in the Summer Tourism brochures. We started mUni Mondays at The Wheel Mill. And the list goes on.

Our schedule for NAUCC is laid out so that some of the best events to see are at the most convenient times. Sunday has the Crit and 10k (and we just went over the whole plan last night with the borough officials and they CAN’T WAIT TO SEE THESE EVENTS!) Monday we have an open to the public Uni Movie Night at the historic Strand Theater. Tuesday afternoon/evening we have a free field trip for attendees to The Wheel Mill in Pittsburgh. Wednesday evening is Flatland. Thursday evening is Street. Friday evening is Trials. All day Saturday is Expert (an Advanced) MUni at Moraine State Park.

If you haven’t checked the website lately, it’s time for another look. We confirmed a lot of details, updated the schedule, and listed a bunch of extra opportunities to take advantage of while you’re here for NAUCC.

Enough blabblering. I have even more details to attend to.