NAUCC 2013 discussion thread

I think it could be interesting, but it is not my goal, no. I just answered a cheap comment but a second cheap comment.

I don’t want to defend Canada or pull down USA. A question was asked, it was answered.

I have not seen that, but I am also not a Marine. Your exposure to this phenomenon, if in Marine deployment, is likely to be more politically charged. I do remember noticing, however, that when I went to other countries, that’s where I heard my country called “America” more than when I was in it. I always thought that was interesting. In many cases, this was from people who very much wanted to visit our country, if not move there.

Nobody implied this. But I very much appreciate your reminder that most people are very proud of their own nations, just as they are proud of their hometowns. As they should be.

This is an Internet forum. It’s only end of story if nobody posts after you. :slight_smile: The other reason we are referred to as Americans is that it’s in our name. I don’t know that any country uses it in their name.

“United Statesian”? Hmm. Kind of rolls off the tongue like NAUCC.

Not at all. You took what we already had and made it more factually accurate. I don’t think it’s any worse.

You lurker. Or are you just a flagged-searcher?

Yeah, why not just sneak in and ask for forgiveness later?

This is an Internet forum. It can always end up down to that level. I think he was just being humorous.

What is North America anyway? According to Wikipedia, it goes from Panama on up, including the Caribbean islands. North America contains 23 independent states, which it lists as:

• Antigua and Barbuda
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada
  • Costa Rica
  • Cuba
  • Dominica
  • Dominican Republic
  • El Salvador
  • Grenada
  • Guatemala
  • Haiti
  • Honduras
  • Jamaica
  • Mexico
  • Nicaragua
  • Panama
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • United States (of America)
To me, NAUCC should be open to competition for residents of any of those states. Again, not sure why it isn't, though there has been very little comment from unicyclists in those other places to get in.

Lurker - I check the forum at least once a day.

Back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the Earth (i.e., circa '02), there were very real insurance issues. I was the person who purchased the policy for NAUCC in '02 (Seattle) and '04 (Salt Lake City). The carrier for those policies insisted on the clause that restricted participants to the USA and Canada. They wouldn’t explain why, even after I pointed out that there were no such restrictions on participants in the international event (i.e., Unicon 11) that they were covering in a separate policy. The same carrier also refused our request to extend coverage to the Moab event (long story for another time / thread). I forget the year they refused to extend coverage to Moab - I believe it was right before Rolf decided to pack it in.

Thanks for that insurance update, Tom. I know some details have changed since then, such as people being able to rider local events onto the current policy, but this makes me think we are still insurance-limited to the US and Canada. Maybe it shouldn’t be thought of as NAUCC after all, and just the US/Canada Bi-Nationals or something?

Does that mean that next time we’ll bar Martin Charrier and Sophia Pellmann from competing?

Do you have to be American to enter or can anyone enter?

You can be from anywhere to be able to enter, at least at NAUCC 2011 it was like that, but you can only win a title if you are from Canada or United-States.

I doubt I would win anything so that would be ok :slight_smile:

I’ve already put in a time off request for next year! so pumped!

Very excited to be attending this!

Link to the updated website was posted to Facebook this week, thought I would share…

http://uninationals2013.com/

Couple of questions.

Will the Coker Muni race be a mass start?

Will the wheel size be limited to no larger than a 29" for the Advanced Muni course or are those just recommendations?

Will there be somewhere to register or do we do it there?

coker muni/cross?

Does this mean what I think it means?

I’m going to drive up Weds afternoon.

Is there a hostel or someplace fun to stay? Is there a campground near the muni rides that folks are planning to use?

I’m just going to help out, watch, and go for fun rides :slight_smile:

Most likely the Coker MUni will be a mass start. It’s an event that’s not part of the main uni overall competitions. It’s listed as MUni/Cross as it will be somewhere between MUni and cyclocross (right up your alley). It’s scheduled for the Cross Country course at the school. It’s the same set of trails that will be used for beginner MUni. Fast, flowy, and fun.

As far as the wheel size for Advanced and Expert MUni, I would NOT recommend anything larger than a 29"- unless you plan on doing a lot of walking. Even a 29" is a handful on those trails. It’s good MUni.

We will list registration details on www.uninationals2013.com when they are available. Pre-registration will save you some money for sure. We hope to have registration up the first part of 2013.

Here are a couple of more Moraine videos. They are not specific to any one course, but somewhat indicative of what to expect:

We shot both of these just to document the fun time we had on the trails last Summer.

Thanks Buzz for shooting the first one!

It’s looking great! You guys have put in so much time and effort to make this happen.

The only thing now is I’m torn, I can only be gone half the week and have to decide whether to participate in the 10K at the beginning of the week or the muni events at the end :thinking:

Wanted to do both but can’t be gone the entire week. Either way I am sure it will be fun.

Thanks for getting the schedule and info out early.

I have a guy who learned to ride this fall. I am trying to convince to join the beginner muni ride or the 10K. I think he and his family are definitely coming as spectators but hoping he will be in one of the events.

Nice job, looking very forward to this and hope to be there.

Thanks again for all the work and time you guys have invested. :slight_smile:

@Dave, those last two videos you posted show some nice flowy XC riding, great for big wheels, so I’m assuming that’s the XC or intermediate muni trails. What does the expert stuff like look, esp the DH course?

@Jturner, we need to have a big wheel muni event!

@Ally, I’m betting most of the folks will arrive later in the week so they can have a weekend of riding, also the muni is going to be on some awesome trails!

I have been wanting to ride in Moraine State Park for a while, just never got up that way, so this should be fun!

For anyone who is planning to attend, but is not intersted in competing, I plan to go on muni rides every day mixed in with helping and watching.

I’m going to find a nice campground near Moraine State Park, so maybe some folks would want to group camp??

Good to see people riding uphill, looks like fun stuff!

Hey Dave,

I had this vision of riding all over Moraine State Park based on my memory of a winter ultra race they hold there, but then I looked further and realized that only seven miles of trails at Moraine are bike friendly :frowning:

Are there some other riding areas you guys go to that are close access from the events sites?

Any idea if it’s worthwhile renting a cabin at Moraine?

@Ben, I spoke to my friend who is coming with me, he rides muni and a 36er. It looks like we will be headed in probably Wednesday and stay through Saturday. We’d be up for both daily muni rides and group camp.

I looked at the Super 8 it’s very inexpensive but reviewed to smell smokey. :frowning:
Some hotels are already booked, maybe we are competing with other events that weekend.
Either way I’m ready to ask for time off and reserve a place to stay. :slight_smile:

@Dave I would like to extend an offer of help for the days I am there, I’d be participating in the muni events (not expert) but otherwise I’d be free and very willing to help out where I can.