NAUCC 07 - Report

I was right at the finish line when that happened I wish I got a picture of it. I think I had my camera in my hands and was just too stunned watching to actually think of snapping a photo!

Well, all my photos from the track turned out pretty crap anyways so it probably wouldn’t have mattered.

question: do all of the results get posted somewhere?

i want to provide a link when i officially announce how i’m north america’s fastest 19-29 yr old female in the 1500m race :smiley: (sure it will bust me for being the only one who entered… but it’s still funny)

Congradulations on the street Spencer!

And I can’t believe Joel won the trials again…

What happened in the Muni competition?

Sounds like it went well. I can’t wait to go next year.

Nice to meet you

My son, Brian and I attended NAUCC for the first time as unregistered guests on Day5 only, but we really enjoyed ourselves and felt very welcomed. Thank you RTUC, Connie Cotter, and all the other hardworking volunteers for making it happen.
I have yet to successfully mount a uni myself, and Brian is just getting started practicing trials and street, but hopefully the whole family will make it to Rapid City next year as fully-registered participants in some capacity.

Marty O’Connor
DeKalb, IL

Muni was won by Andy Cotter, second was Irene Genelin… I don’t know how it is possible, they never practice Muni… :roll_eyes:

Very nice convention, got to know a lot of people, even if I would have liked to get to know better some of them.

I would like to put an official protest to the organisers: the heat was way to high, and the sun way to violent. That’s better than rain though.

Hope to meet all these people somewhere sometime again, congratulation to the organisers.

François (for english speaking people, pronounce Fuanssoua)

i lent you my hat the day of the trials comp. quit your yappin’ :slight_smile:

Ya, good job to all who I saw compete and especially Wendy and RTUC for another successful NAUCC! It sure was a bit different only competing in one thing (the parade) but I got a lot of good pictures and vids of the trials that I’ll hopefully post sooner or later.

Whee!

I just received an e-mail from the Groves. Since I had to leave before the awards were all presented to beat traffic home (which thankfully worked wonderfully) I’ve just been informed that there’s a bag with my name on it, containing 3 ribbons and 3 medals.

And I don’t even remember entering 6 events.

YAY!

There were some duplicate awards in the bags. I got 2 ribbons for the same thing. Apparently, other people got duplicates also.

Sorting out all of those awards has to be a nightmare.

Not sure if you’re kidding; Andy has a MUni course in his back yard (farm). Also they’re very fit, having just returned from the Med Tour. Irene rode 100 miles on June 6 as well, around Lake Tahoe.

Third place was Jeff Groves, who Irene must have passed not too far before the finish. I was following Irene for most of the race, but she eventually drifted further and further ahead until I only saw her on the loops ahead of me. I was fourth. Not bad for a junior geezer! I think Pele Schramm was behind me. I followed him after Irene had receeded into the distance, eventually passing him not too far before the finish.

The trail was somewhere between 3 and 4 miles of very squiggly singletrack at the very fun Novi Tree Farm, or Lakeshore Park. I was fortunate enough to have ridden there a few days earlier with a group of guys from Memphis, where we got to actually enjoy the riding and see more than what was on the course.

Thanks to RTUC, Wendy in particular, and all the hard-working volunteers who made this NAUCC a success! There was a lot of great organization. I especially liked how well-marked the MUni course was – it was very easy!

– And the 10k course. While there was only one spot where one could possibly make a wrong turn, they put up a big orange sign that said “GILBY!” with an arrow to point the right way. Pictures to follow. This was due to Gilby’s growing reputation of going the wrong way while leading the 10k race the previous two years (and still winning, by a large margin, in '05)

The gym was probably one of the best we’ve ever had. A wooden basketball court surrounded by a much larger, oval rubber floor with track lanes painted around the outside. There was lots of riding (and vendor) space at each end, and even space behind the bleachers on both sides! Plenty of room for lots to go on, and an acoustic tile ceiling to keep the sound under control.

As always, great fun experiences, great people, and learning experiences of all kinds. An example of an obvious one:

• Always use a covered, air-conditioned venue if you can find one!

And less-obvious ones:

• Don’t do the Street competition right after the Expert Trials competition – even if the riders request it that way (which they did). Some of them were nearly dead on their feet! :slight_smile:

yeah that street right after the trials was a pain in the butt though…
some people couldnt land any of their tricks…

I would like to thank everyone who volunteered both before and during NAUCC 2007. Your efforts helped tremendously in creating a very successful convention.

Although I could never thank everyone who helped out because of the sheer number of volunteers, there are a few people who I think deserve special recognition.

Hans Mills - my right-hand man. Any time a crisis arose, he came riding in on his white horse to rescue me. (Especially in February when Saline Area Schools told us we were no longer allowed to host NAUCC at Saline Middle School - yikes!) He was our webmaster who enabled us to offer on-line registration for the first time ever. He also designed the T-shirts and NAUCC signs.

Connie Cotter ran all the artistic events and was in charge of printing all the awards. I’m sure she worked harder than anyone prior to and during NAUCC 2007.

Joanne Egan, who had never attended a NAUCC, yet did a wonderful job handling all registration.

The Wrobel Family - Bill, one of our announcers and one of our starters, helped out with data entry and program books and with anything else that came up. Cathy judged and helped out with data entry and awards. Andrew, who is without a doubt the best darn race director around, designed the program for the Public Show. And Ben jumped in and helped out refereeing, timing, awards, etc.

Tom and Carol Brichford made sure that we didn’t forget anything, and purchased and transported items we needed each day.

Kathy Susanka is one of the most dependable people I know. She not only came up with the idea of the wristbands, she was in charge of ordering and distributing the wristbands and T-shirts. Among other things, you probably saw her at the registration table and at the check-in table during racing.

Marcus Sternberg arranged our e-timer, ordered racing numbers, and was in charge of trials and street construction, muni, hockey, and basketball.

All the RTUC families who volunteered to be in charge of one thing or another. You are all fantastic!

Everyone who brought things from other states that we needed: The Lanyes, who brought along the starting posts, some timers, and the relay batons. Tim Lee, who brought along the slow boards and jerseys. Tommy Thompson, who brought along what he thought we might need - and we did!

And finally I’d like to extend special thanks to my kids, Amanda and Dale, who helped pick out the novice and expert muni trails, were dragged off to all the site venues, stuffing registration packets and NAUCC meetings, had to listen to (and help solve) all the problems/concerns that came up prior to NAUCC, and who allowed me time to organize everything that needed my attention without complaining, even though it meant spending less time together doing fun family things. Love you guys!

Wendy Grzych

If anyone cares to read my own life story of NAUCC 2007 feel free to head over to my blog at www.spoiledchinesegirl.com

They’re the most recent entries right now, but you can always search NAUCC and see what I’ve written about which will either be the Michigan event or maybe the Ohio event 2 years ago.

I can’t believe it’s been a week since I headed down already! Yay to long weekends! :slight_smile:

I have to say again that RTUC wouldn’t be the great crew that we are without the great leader that we have. Yeah, Wendy!

I had a blast the whole time, loved meeting everyone and appreciated ALL of the organized and spontaneous help.

A special thanks to my pair’s partner, Cathy Holden, who’s creative thinking helped us win the GOLD in our division.

See you all next time when I’ll come in 8th instead of 7th in the races because someone fast will be moving up into my age category.

Kathy

But…but…Kathy you have a year to train and get faster and hold on to 7th place!

(I’m going to concentrate on getting better at muni because my attempt on the novice course gave me muni fever):smiley:

has anyone uploaded any photos yet?

I wanna muni!!! I should give it a try even though the doc said “break it again and we’ll have to pin it” after my last mishap. Exercise is good for me right? Maybe I’ll see you out in the woods yet. :sunglasses:

What did you break? Maybe getting it pinned will make you better…stronger…faster. :wink:

I have some at my blog, but they are mainly just pictures of my kids. I dont know how interesting they will be to anyone else.

Kathy

I finally have a Muni, now I need the time! I’ll join you when you are ready to ride.