Mounts Questions

Static and rollback are the same mount.

I would get a ruling if jump mount and suicide mount are considered separate mounts.

<http://iunicycle.com/unicycle/skills/standard/205/&gt;

A jump mount is 205a, suicide is 205b, the value difference is only .5 point, so it seems that it isn’t significantly more difficult.

On the other hand 205g, I think, is considered a different mount. Can an experienced tester give better guidance here?

I’ve tried the suicide mount, and for some reason I can’t get it. I got it a few times when I accidentally got my wheel stuck in this little crack, so it couldn’t move.
And if you ask me, the rollback and static are different. It took me a while to figure out how to get the wheel to not move backwards while mounting, so the static is more difficult. The same mount cannot be harder if you do it again, so therefore it’s different.
Besides, I probably won’t ever be ‘officially’ tested. The skill levels are more of cool, flashy kind of moves, not trials or MUni, and those are what I like more. I just use the skill levels to find new things to try, to help me get better with balance etc., not to officially be better.

Re: Mounts Questions

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:30:51 -0500, iunicycle
<iunicycle.rrjql@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Tooooo bad. You need to learn three different mounts for level three.
>Also, note that side mount and side mount reverse are considered the
>same mount.

I didn’t know that. These rules are too harsh. Now there’s another
obstacle to level 3 for me.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“the helmet is to protect the brain, not replace it. - iunicycle”

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 19:11:14 -0500, daino149
<daino149.rrlla@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

> I don’t think there are any
>testers on this island.

I think that for levels 1 through 4, you don’t need an officially
qualified tester. Anyone can test if they follow the level rules.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“the helmet is to protect the brain, not replace it. - iunicycle”

The skill levels were developed before the terms ‘static’ and ‘rollback’ were applied to separate different variants of what we think of as a ‘standard’ mount.

You can always try the rulebook first; most of this stuff is in there. See page 45 of the USA Rulebook, or this page:
http://www.unicycling.org/usa/levels/
You will see that a regular jump mount and free jump mount are different enough to be considered separate.

Not yet, but that’s one of the things I expect will be addressed in the next generation of skill levels, currently being developed. In Standard Skill competition it’s kept more simple; you can’t use two skills with the same number. In other words, you are not allowed to do 205a and 205b.

Beyond that, the rulebook says this: “Each mount the rider uses for a level must be different. Different can be defined as a totally different mount, or a considerably harder variation on the same mount.” So if a free jump mount (suicide) is considerably harder than a regular jump mount, hopefully this gives you an idea of similar comparisons for other mounts.

Yes, but it probably isn’t the “new” one. A “free” mount means getting on the unicycle without outside assistance. This generally applies to any mount you would do for a skill level. Use the Standard Skill List for more specific mount names.

As someone mentioned, this could be done as “jump mount to seat in front.” Otherwise I don’t think it would count as a jump mount. However, a level test doesn’t care which mount you do, as long as it’s different from all the others. If you do the jump to seat in front, you’ll have to ride three revolutions in that position to finish.

This was pretty much covered. If the original mount you refer to is what we call a ‘static’ mount, the answer is no. Side mount is really easy.

Ahhh yes. I misread that one:

Jump mount (free jump mount and side jump mount would be considered different mounts)

I was thinking they meant to compare the paren’ed mounts to each other, not to jump mount, I missed the free. Obviously experience helps in reading the rulebook! Now I just need to let go an jump… :slight_smile: