Mounts Questions

Question 1: Does the freemount count as a mount when doing three mounts for level three?

Question 2: When doing a jump mount, do you have to finish sitting on the saddle or can you jump onto saddle in front and then scooch up onto the saddle afterwards?

Question 3: Does a freemount with a half rotation backwards (rollback mount) count as a seperate mount?

Question 1- yes i think the standard freemount does count as one of the the three mounts required in level three.

question 2- i think the mount you described would be classed as a half suicide or half jump mount, because you’re holding onto the seat the whole time, but i think landing with seat out front first is fine.

question 3- yep i think this does count as a different mount becasue it is different.

i’m not entirely sure on these but im sure someone will either back me up or correct me.

iain

Well, if i understand these correctly:

1. “Freemount”, you probably mean standard mount, and yes, that would count as one of the mounts.

2. No, but there is another mount known as “jump mount to seat in front”

3. No, i believe the mounts we commonly call rollback, static, etc. would all be considered a “standard mount”.

Heres the list…

http://tinyurl.com/j35z

Chuck

see i told you someone would correct me!

but i was sure the “roll-back” counted as a different mount :thinking: i was discussing whether they were different or not at my club recently.

iain

I could definitely be wrong, too…haven’t really checked into it too much, so it’s just my interpretation. Someone will come along soon that knows for sure!

Chuck

A roll back mount isn’t in the standard skill list as a seperate mount, so some testers won’t allow it to count as diffrent from the regular freemount. The lower the level the less strict people are with the variety of mounts, so it might pass anyway.

Actually rollback and static are one mount:

<http://iunicycle.com/unicycle/skills/standard/200/number/>

It is 200a on the Standard Skills List.

Re: Mounts Questions

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 15:54:14 -0500, Borges
<Borges.rphw0@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>A roll back mount isn’t in the standard skill list as a seperate mount,
>so some testers won’t allow it to count as diffrent from the regular
>freemount. The lower the level the less strict people are with the
>variety of mounts, so it might pass anyway.

Word from John Foss has it that the rollback mount and the static
mount are variations of the same thing and hence officially don’t
count as separate mounts. Now if JF is not an authority then who is?

On the original question 2: For a proper jump mount you have to finish
sitting on the seat. In fact, Jump mount to sitting on the seat and a
modified Jump mount to seat in front might (just MIGHT) count as two
separate mounts.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“the helmet is to protect the brain, not replace it. - iunicycle”

Sorry if this is a dumb question Tom: what do the gradiated numbers signify, i.e. when a list shows “riding bwd”, and there are three skills rated 3.0, 3.4, 3.8?

Thanks,

Tom

Those numbers are the points given if the skill is performed perfectly at a standard skill competition.

Obviously you don’t have the secret decoding ring needed to use the site:

<http://iunicycle.com/unicycle/skills/standard/2/number/&gt;

Riding bwd means riding backward, This is Standard Skill number 2.
2a is riding backward in a straight line, about 8 meters.
2b is riding backward in a circle, staying between the 4m and 8m circles.
2c is riding backward in a figure 8, circle diameters between ~4-6m with the middle of the figure passing through the 1/2m center circle.

If we would have gone to NAUCC and watched the Standard Skill competition, you would have become painfully aware of all this…

I’m gonna change the links so that you don’t have to put on the /number/ at the end, maybe in a week, so these links might go bad.

I’ll try to include a link to a pdf of the page which shows the layout of the performance area and the rules for Standard Skill.

Thanks for the explanation Tom. It seems like a lot of words just to document an impossible trick. :smiley:

Did I mention that you have to have your arms parallel to the ground and you have to appear to know what you are doing? But you don’t have to smile or have a cool costume ( or clown suit ).

As long as this is a level question thread, I might as well ask mine:
When it says demonstrate 4 types of mounts for level four, can those just be the three mounts you did in level three and one new one? Or do you have to learn 4 completely new mounts?

You may use the 3 mounts you used in passing Level 3 and learn one new mount.

And, as people have pointed out, the standard mount may be either forward or rollback. It is only one type of mount, not two.

Side mount or back mount are fairly easy mounts to use for Level 3, along with the standard mount.

Carol
Minnesota

XWonka <XWonka.rpckb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

> Question 1: Does the freemount count as a mount when doing three mounts
> for level three?

For UUU/IUF levels in the UK , Yes.

> Question 2: When doing a jump mount, do you have to finish sitting on
> the saddle or can you jump onto saddle in front and then scooch up onto
> the saddle afterwards?

You have not finished the skill untill you have pedaled so many
revs forward sat on the saddle.

> Question 3: Does a freemount with a half rotation backwards (rollback
> mount) count as a seperate mount?

For UUU/IUF levels in the UK these two mounts have been counted as
two
seperate mounts in level testing. However there mst be NO roll back
in the static mount.

Sarah

Union of UK Unicyclists
By and for UK riders

If James Potter had asked the same question but substituted ‘two’ for
‘three’ and then ‘three’ for ‘two’, would the answer be YES as well?

I mean, for level 2 it is OK to do a standard mount left and a
standard mount right. If I do that then do I need only ONE more mount
for level three?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“the helmet is to protect the brain, not replace it. - iunicycle”

Re: Re: Mounts Questions

• For Level 3 and above, riders may not count their dominant and non-dominant side as different mounts.

Tooooo bad. You need to learn three different mounts for level three.
Also, note that side mount and side mount reverse are considered the same mount.

Good, I doubt there are even enough mounts to finish them all if we had to keep learning that many new ones!
But that’s another one if I can add the rollback mount and the static mount as seperate ones. I have six, then. Rollback, static, side, backwards, jump, and I’m trying to learn the rolling mount.

If you have the jump mount, the suicide is very easy. Just in case you need another.

BTW: How many of you actually get tested? I would think about doing it, but for one I don’t care much, and two, I don’t think there are any testers on this island.

Daniel