Mountainuni Disc Brakes Have Arrived!

Couldn’t the disk be on the inside of the frame? seems like there would be plenty of room.

Now that’s a whole different beast. The mountainUni version can use un-modified hubs whereas the prototype one that UDC has shown off has a custom hub to mount the disk brake on.

Mowcius

There may not be enough room inside the stock frame for a disk. You need to buy or build a new wheel with a hub flange that accepts a disk. The frame needs to be wide enough to clear the rotor and you need a mount… typically the cost of a new wheel, frame, and weld on mount. All homebrew disk brake set ups to date have custom frames.

Until recently, no unicycle specific hub existed that received a disk. the only unicycle that comes with one stock was engineered ground up to fit the disk wheel. That unicycle is $1000+ and probably cheaper than purchasing the wheel and building a one-off frame to utilize it.

Mountainuni.com will solve that at a third the cost by selling a kit that will bolt on in the form of cranks and a bolt-on caliper mount to receive the disk brake. the lateral strength of the wheel will also be maintained since the wheel will be evenly dished, while not increasing the q-factor, which a wider frame likely will. Our aim is to make a kit that just bolts onto your current uni without modification.

Is the mountainuni.com site not active at the moment? I cant bring anything up

we’re setting up e-commerse and installing photos and content before we flip the switch… we’re also building stock. There will also be a way to utilize our FB site!

the problem is not the disk, the problem is not enough space for the caliper to the spokes.
I ride Large marge rims because Koxx and KH rims do not resist my style and / or weight. building the disk inside will weaken the wheel - so I would not do this, apart from all the other benefits kb1jki says

since the Q faktor is no more than without disk there is no disadvantage in outside disk. the distance between pedals is even larger with an inside - as you see at the Nimbus impulse disk.

the inside disk is not protected any more than the outside, if you hit the disk hard enough it will bent - the same problem you have with the even more unsheltered Maguras exposed near the frame shoulder. besides the Mountainuni disk system is build much more solid than usual bike disks.

my intention is to build the best and most durable muni, that is why I reanimated with Dmitry the Triton projekt. I created, build, and designed a lot stuff by myself, but the MountainUni system was the best and that is why I combine the Triton frame with the MountainUni brakes.

that does not mean, that other genius guys like Roger will develope other excellent systems (I hope they do!), but at all, I am pretty sure that at the moment the Triton MountainUni combination is state of the art.

Anyway you may have an other evaluation and that is fine, cause I am not a missionar;)

PS: I forgot: its the only Schlumpf hub combatible disk brake system!

Jogi - this is huge! Let’s not forget that little piece of info!

Are there cranks that work with Schlumpf and the disks?

the Sinz cranks which are added in the MountainUni brake set work perfect with schlumpf, I am rinding this setup since last summer

Schlumpf hub is also available, so you can oder a whole Schlumpf / MountainUni / Triton setup…

I know you have a Schlumpf…

I do… [mmm…Triton…drool, drool…] I need a new job, or to find a bag of money

So has the issue of sourcing the sinz cranks been delt with yet? I would very likely go the triton, mountainuni, sinz crank, schlumpf combo if i could get them in the lengths i like to ride- 125 or at least 137mm.

Good work Yogi, and kb1jki. Its good to have more people pushing the development of good equipment- please keep it up.

Mark

Thanks for explaining the disk placement to me. I didn’t think about special hubs. That’s cool that it would be able to be switched out to any kinds of wheels.

More Brake Applications 26-29ers

The latest reviews from Triton Uni Riders wanting better braking performance. Thanks to Jogi and Turtle for the commitment and review.

Re: The Triton Triple mount Ti frame using Mountainuni Disc:

It’s just amazing! would never go back, easy to change wheelset (1 minute including changing seat height), doesn’t need a lot of power even going very steep, perfect in wet and cold conditions (ok it wasn’t really cold yesterday), don’t have to adjust before going uphill (Magura rim brake: I had to mess around all the time: going downhill turning it closer to the rim, but then going a little uphill it touched the rim…). if it works like yesterday, it’s like my muni-dreams are coming true :slight_smile:

Mountainuni Disc Applied.jpg

Turtle Steep descent 26 w_Disc.jpg

I gotta stop watching the progress, I should have jumped on the opportunity to buy a Triton Triple frame with disc mount when I had the chance, now I have to wait a few months :angry:

This is exactly the set-up I will have when I get all the frame/disc/cranks pieces, I am SOOOOO looking forward to getting my Triton Triple Ti frame :smiley:

Hey Mountain Uni

I have a triton frame with disk mounts on the way. Is it possible for me to get a few of your disks yet or should I just get my own made?

Peace

ERIC

PM Mountainuni1…

i’m so excited!

@mountainuni1: have you got schorter cranks yet? or can you send me 170’s so i can drill them myself?

Can we get a general update on the status of these brakes? I’d PM, but I’ve been waiting to hear updates for a long time and I think other probably have as well, so maybe others will find it useful too.

When can I get a brake for my KH36?

+1. Very interested. But all the hype with no product is getting pretty frustrating, to the point where I’m considering just having a machinist I know make one for me.

Come on guys, these will sell if you actually make them available! Or if there’s a delay outside your control, at least let us know.

155-175 ISIS in stock

Hi Turtle 155-175mm ISIS are in stock. Rotor is interchangeable with any of these. Let me know via PM or e-mail, ( Mountainuni_1_at Hotmail_dot_com) and make arrangements. Thks, Jeff

Yes beyond possible, I’m ready

I am ready, send me a PM or e-mail, and we can make paypal arrangements, and I’ll get them out next week to you.