Monster Uni: Post Your Fat Uni Here !

that’s a thing of beauty!

Hi.
A question about just how fat I can go…

I’ve decided to sell my Schlumpf hub. So that leaves me with a 26" KH frame and a dominator rim. I’m liking the idea of a unicycle for beach, and possibly snow riding. I’ll put a cheap hub in it, possibly a cotterless one as I have loads of cranks.
So, can someone tell me what is the fattest tyre I can fit in my frame ? I have looked at quite a few threads about tyres and KH frames but have not come up with a definate answer.
I’ve also got a spare 24" rim dominator lying around, would I get a fatter 24" tyre in there ?
Doesn’t matter too much about rim size as I won’t be fitting a brake to this unicycle, I’m just keeping it simple.

Thanks in advance,
Elaine

Hi,

the limitation with the KH 26 frame and a 26 rim will be the top and side clearance and for the 24 rim it may be the side clearance.

With a KH 26 frame 2013, I managed to cram in a Surly Knard 26x3.0 but it was a tight fit (rideable but no clearance for deformation or mud/snow).

Long story short, you will need an Oregon frame (or other wider frame) or modify an existing one (if you have the skills or proper friends).

HiSiddhartha Valmont Cheers and Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

So, 3" is as fat as I can go…
I don’t fancy modifying my KH frame myself, my welding skills aren’t so hot ( geddit :roll_eyes: ) and I’m a billy no mates so maybe I’ll just put my big apple tyre back on and keep it for road use.

:roll_eyes: That was one of my shortest ever day dreams lol :slight_smile:

So, I took the fatty out today for a local FatBike race! The race was a 1-against-1-eliminator-slalom-downhill type of race, on a ski hill. Saddly I didn’t win any of my races :frowning: It was still a really really nice, fun and ridiculous ride! :smiley:

I won a localy made BeaverGuard! Originaly made for Fatbike forks to protect the headset bearings and suspension forks. Saddly, it doesn’t fit on my fatbike because my tires are too big for my fork, but it fits on the uni super nicely! I dont know if it’ll change anything, probably more during fall and summer than winter but hey, it was free :wink:

Great idea for commuters! Are there “fenders” for uni’s??

:wink:

It only keeps the dirt off of the headset bearings, you’ll still get sh*t on your face when biking, and probably on my butt on the uni.

looks just like a bigger version of the marsh guard

Most of us just use the rear bike seatpost types, though there might be something to be said for the front, ‘stick it up the fork and screw it in’ type. Not sure how well either of them work on bigger-than-bike wheels as I haven’t put one on my 36er yet :smiley:

EDIT: Found a picture of who I assume to be Jaco in the BeaverGuard facebook page :smiley: https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10857844_1526347427633672_7426939137328982257_n.jpg?oh=a5d8ae0bc2a4afa07e29282062e949d4&oe=5531ECDC&__gda__=1429566646_84e8dc968ee7b7d4243f801d327efca4

re fenders,

I use this one for 36er, like it a lot: http://www.eriksbikeshop.com/sks-x-blade-29er-rear-fender/pr3c10082/product#

Not attached with bolts – and is quite flexible – so it doesn’t brake from UPDs.

Hmm. My issue with fenders/mudguards is that yes, they keep my back/arse clean, BUT the back of my legs still gets splattered… Does that little extra flick at the seatpost-end of that fender prevent that? :smiley:

I use a Topeak Defender on my 29er that I use for commuting. It works super well. I dont usualy have one on my fatty, but the Beaver Guard didn’t fit in my Fatbike fork with my huge tire so it ended up on the uni :stuck_out_tongue:

And yes that’s me… we had extra points for racing in a Santa costume :wink:

I use a fender SKS GRAND M.O.M. on my monster. It works fine!

Here’s my new 29+ Oregon. The “Devastator” (named after my favorite beer) :sunglasses: I’ve been on a few rides with it on packed snow, frozen dirt and a little mud. It seems to have great traction on everything but the slippery mud. :smiley: I’m loving the wheel size it seems to just plow down through everything. This might give my 36er a run for it’s $ for title of favorite Muni :smiley:

That’s a beaut, fugsworth!

Thanks Eddie I’m loving it!! :wink:

26 x 4

The War Wagon

Flansberrium 26x5 frame, Surly Lou with Halo 80mm rim on Nimbus wide disc hub, Clarks Skeletal disc brake set. My new favorite unicycle…

That looks awesome Robi!! Still using 150 cranks?

That, there, is one handsome unicycle.:slight_smile: