Moab MUniFest, March 28-30. We're going!

I’m going. Nick Brazzi (nbrazzi) is going. Nathan Hoover, son Beau, and wife Megumi are going. And a whole bunch of other people! Rolf Thompson currently estimates 20 riders, of various levels, for the 2003 edition of the Fest.

Our group of out-of-staters is converging on Salt Lake City on the morning of Friday March 28, and renting a van to drive down. This seems to be the most economical way of getting there if you live far away. We’re returning Monday March 31 for noon flights (not earlier!). There’s still room in the van if you want to join us!

We are currently looking at lodging. Moab is a big camping place, but I prefer a motel. The Ramada is one of the places we may settle on. It has a spa! Not too crowded, I hope.

Moab is the home of the famous Slickrock Trail, as well as many other nice mountain bike trails. If you’ve never ridden on slickrock, it’s a different kind of experience. It’s amazing how forgiving dirt is, compared to a surface of pure rock. Riding on it is a great learning experience.

As I mentioned on a previous thread, you must carry plenty of water for an extended ride, expect a range of temperatures that could be from around 50 to 80 at that time of year I’m guessing. Also prepare for the altitude, which averages 5000’ on the Slickrock Trail, so it should cut down your expected range if you’re not used to it.

Rolf says there will probably be separate riding groups, so if you’re not up to riding the whole Slickrock Trail for instance, there will be a group that does something smaller.

I hope you can join us!

wow, that might actually work for me…

I’m going to do my best to make it to Moab this year. My work situation is so unpredictable that it’s difficult to make any plans but it looks like it might work out for me this time.

I’ll most likely be driving from Idaho on Friday. I live about 2 hours north of SLC and will be passing right by the airport so it’s possible I could help transport folks from/to the SLC airport if needed.

I’m really looking forward to this! The last time I’ve ridden with anyone else was at the Idaho MUni weekend over a year ago. That was also the FIRST time I had ever ridden with anyone else and I was blown away! It was great to meet everyone too.

By all means make the extra effort to get to Moab. If, like me, you don’t get much exposure to other riders you will be amazed at what you will see and learn.

Steve Howard

I’ll be there… Doing the camping thing, so hopefully others will be camping as well. 5,000 ft elevation will be a welcome relief from the 8,000 that I live at. :slight_smile:

And, I just wanted to mention again (apologies to those sick of hearing about it), I’ll be video-documentar-izing the whole ordeal. I’d love to get all in attendance to show off and mug for the camera as much as possible. I’d love to get some interview snippets, as well, and I’d also love to strap the helmet cam on some of you show-offs.

This video will be used for:
-My own personal practice and occupational self-improvement
-Resume/demo reel material
-Your enjoyment - I’d like to send a copy to all who appear in it.
-Georgetown University student film festival - if I can make the deadline. Technically, I’m not a student (university staff, until this video lands me a better job) and this won’t be a film (all the other entries are video, anyway), but we don’t worry about such things. If there are any concerns about this from you, the talent, please let me know.

Any questions or comments, please drop an email to nbrazzi-at-unicyclist.com

I’ll be there too! I can’t wait to get out of the freezer!

I’ll be arriving in Salt Lake City on the Thursday (Mar 27) around noon and head out to Moab Friday morning with John, Nathan et al. If anyone’s in Salt Lake at that time and wants to get together drop me a line.

Clarification … I’m <B>NOT</B> looking for a date for Thursday evening! :slight_smile:

Carl