mini 12" bc wheel (with platforms)

Effect.

09190056_g.sized.jpg

You’ll note that I never disputed it’s being messed up. I just said it isn’t stronger than profiles.

Well, there is a difference between something melting, and something rounding off. It is perfectly feasible that the bit rounded off, but not because of the metal, if it is 4130. It probably rounded off because whoever drilled the plate was trying to make the hole to big too quickly, and not giving the bit the time to do it’s job.

Not unless you heated it to 1600 degrees F and then oil quenched it. 4130 is heat treated at 1600, and then hardened in an oil quenching process. Suffice to say, no, it wasn’t hardened. It was probably hardened before you touched it, but it 4130 isn’t hard enough to cause enough friction to melt a cobolt drill bit, or any drill bit…unless you are using one made from ice or something ridiculous.

My guess is that it is 4130 alloy, but the bit didn’t melt, it just rounded off, which is perfectly reasonable.

By the looks of it, that metal is about 1/16 of an inch thick. I don’t think that that would survive my repeated jumping on it, as I weigh 230-240 lbs. If you were to do something different, you should make the platforms out of a thicker metal, like 1/8 or if you want to make them really thick, 1/4 inch or 3/8. But anything above 1/8 or 1/4 is definately overkill…especially for that size wheel, in my opinion.

First your sure its 4130 because your family is rich and you have 2 private airplanes, now you don’t know? A little fishy I think…

I hate to say I told you so but. I told you so. I knew it wasn’t fancy aircraft grade metal, and I know, I could break it with ease… I don’t doubt that he could easily get 4130 Aircraft Grade Steel(you can buy it mega cheap…) I just doubt its anything more than a basic Iron or Steel plate…

Right. And if that is the case (that is it’s 1/16th steel, which he tells me) then I can bend it by hand. Let alone my massive girth JUMPING on it.

:: Pelvic Thrust ::

Well your massive Girth won’t be jumping on it will it?

David

Pardon?

I think he wants to see somegirth-a-flying. In otherwords, he is saddened by you not jumping on it…

i kind of stole this from darren

oy vey…

That can be rectified. Although I think it would be more of me jumping through it.

Actually, now that I see it from that angle, the metal actually does look more like 1/8 than 1/16.

(I still don’t think that it would hold you for more than about 2 or 3 tries, Kevin. 230lbs+magnification from jumping and landing is a lot of weight for that thickness, in my opinion.)

Sorry for the misjudgement guys.

Total-Uni, do you know the thickness of the metal?

edit- And judging by the color and slight rusting of the metal in that picture, it looks like it’s iron or some type of low grade steel, not 4130 aircraft grade steel.

I asked him earlier because I thought it was a little thick for 1/16th too. He said it was 1/16th. Wierd. But I can bend 1/16th steel by hand so it would have no chance against me riding it or looking at it angrily.

He won’t have to worry about you jumping “through” it, and it will probably hold him.

David

However much I don’t believe that total uni has drilled titanium (just as I don’t believe he made 5 10" bc wheels in 1 day), I will agree with him that tianium is far more difficult to drill through than most alloys of steel, including 4130 chromoly. Titanium will go through 1 good grade end mill every few minutes of cutting. The density of a material is irrelevant. Lead is extremely easy to cut, but it’s far denser than steel. Titanium is extremely hard and not readily machined. It has the tendency to rip little bits of the cutting edge off of the bit, rapidly dulling it. In addition, it can be known to micro-weld it’sself to the bit, dulling the bit even further. Most likely what happeed was total uni was either cutting way to fast, as digitalattrition said, or he was running the bit at too high rpms, or a combo of the two. He also could’ve been drilling without any cutting fluid, which isn’t the wisest of things.

I don’t believe that was 4130 chromoly on that BC wheel, since it was so rusted.

Catboy: Don’t be stupid. Noone ever has, or ever will say that harper’s hub at CMW is or was stronger than a profile hub (that wasn’t the idea, anyways. Steve just wanted to see how much it would take to break or bend something in the drivetrain. If it was something small, then it wouldn’t be strong enough, but if it were big, then it would be acceptable). That was something you made up by yourself. That hub was clearly weaker than profiles, and Steve never expected it to be any stronger. Ryan did multiple drops of that size on the Tahoe Rim trail on his muni, and he never warped his axle. He cracked his right crank on the 3rd or fourth try, but it never broke. If the harper’s hub were stronger than profiles, than the kooka cranks would’ve broken long before the axle warped.

Also, I’m soon to be riding a profile hub that’s made of the same grade of stainless as harper’s and after talking to Steve, who tried it at moab, he said it definitely was strong, but not quite as much so as profiles. To repeat myself, my point is that the hub harper rode at CMW was not anywhere near stronger than profiles. Noone but you ever claimed it was.

Hey Robbie, there’s no reason to bother challenging everyone who builds unicycles to build a hub and crankset Ryan can’t break. Everything will break eventually. Something that weighs 6 lbs but won’t break is pointless. Profile cranks are plenty strong. More to the point, profiles have a warranty, which beats everything else. People who ride as hard as Ryan will break everything, so it’s just a question of whether they last a reasonable amount of time before hand, and if they have a warranty.

Oh, nice work there. That’s a great way for trying to get us to think highly of you :stuck_out_tongue: Now stop with the aircraft grade metallic lies your spreading all around here.

i might not be 1430 but it is fu*king strong and i highly think that it is 1430.

and i dowt that you guy could break it by riding let alown by hand.

I’ve done a little research, and It is definetely not 4130 Steel, while you can easily get 4130 Aircraft Grade steel, it is hard to find it not in a form of like 1/32 thin sheets, So unless you were really lucky, there would have been forging involved. If you look at what 4130 Steel Alloy looks like, it looks nothing like what you have. Also 4130 isnt that strong, so even at 1/8 even I could bend it with my hands, and I am no where near as strong as obie*(I think). So basically you would have to forge like 1/2 inch thick plates for it to be that strong. Heres a pic of the real stuff. Notice:

steel.jpg

theres athother catch

i cut it out of a rectangular tube