metal pedals v plastic

Cool, good to know.
thanks Nurse Ben!

For me, metal for trials, plastic for street.

I ride Echo TR’s on my trials uni. Aggressive pins for gripping on pedal grabs, nice and thin and fairly lightweight. Decent level of grip but not so much you can’t move your feet around if you need to.
I have Odyssey JC PC on my street uni. Fairly grippy but decent for grinding on, and being plastic they don’t eat your shins (or pads) as much when you get a pedal bite.

Those Deity (nylon) look awesome. I checked a website which lists the weight at a mere 339g (11oz). If that’s per pair that is super light. $48 per pair here.

I like the Deity color choices, red and green look sweet!

Seriously, I can’t say enough good things about this pedal design.

The pins are sharp and long lasting, the nylon is very durable, the spindle and bearings are well designed.

The only thing I have found that might be a problem is that the pins are a tad long and sharp, so they tear up shoes. This may be normal for metal pins, I had been using nylon pinned pedals before getting Electrons. I have shortened some pins with a dremel, which helps.

I am thinking about adding a second nut to some of the pins to make them more like a stud. I’ll post pics once I find a source for the nylock nuts.

They really are as light as they stated, can be tightened by allen head or open end wrench, pins are strong, and they don’t pull out or wiggle.

Although I’ve been riding the metal version, I completely agree. Deity Decoys, HT and Kona Wah Wahs on nearly every bike and uni I own. (they’re all the same)
exceptions: road bike with SPD’s and my trials uni with plastic odysseys.

There really is a big feel difference due to the thinness of the pedals. It feels like you’re actually standing ON an axis point rather than OVER an axis point as you do with thicker pedals. The thicker the pedal, the more your foot moves in an arc over the spindle.

…and grip for days.

And here it is.

I have some Deity Compounds on my trials i cant say anything but good things. lots of pedal grabs to concreat big drops and lots of drops barly any wear and not one lost pen! and they are super grippy!

I’m interested in those, can you give us more info, especially with regards to Muni?

Red Mesa’s on sale $27.95+$5.95 shipping plus 15% off with code on checkout page. Sprucing up the Coker and got a white pair for the Oregon. Already put a black pair on the Oracle, figured it would be nice to have all my pedals matching for familiarity when switching between uni’s. These pedals are great! Thanks Nurse Ben for the tip.

http://www.fyxation.com/shop/en/5-pedals

Any update on the one Leo posted?

Hi guys!

Did anyone use these pedals?

Wellgo Alloy Platform B185
Cost: $45.35
Weight: 320gr/pr
Size: 111 x 100 x 27mm.
Body: Aluminum 6061 extruded/ CNC machined / Anodized.
Spindle: Co-Mo.
Bearing: DU / Sealed.

I am currently choosing between them and Nukeproof Electron

after i started bending pens and a bent axle on my deity compounds i got some JCPC and they are so much more robust and fell stronger and alot more grip! lets see in a few weeks!

Can anyone compare the Deity or Nukeproof pedals with the plastic pedals that come on Nimbus unis? The Nimbus pedals have a strip of metal pins on each end.

Yes i can. i have deity compounds. they feel alot better and have tons better grip and are quieter

KnoxUni, how did you bend the axle in you Compounds. I am just wondering, because I believe that I ride much more conservatively than you and maybe the Compounds would fit my needs.

Peace.

6ft drop. lol. And they are still rideable

Do you need to specify that pedals are for a uni when ordering? I was wondering because of the counter threads on the left pedal.

No sir.

I don’t understand how I would install the left peddle if it does not have the counter threads. How would it go on without stripping the threads?

No, all bicycle pedals have left hand threads on the left pedals. If I remember correctly it was the Wright brothers that started using left threads to prevent the left pedal coming out.