Medthods of removing crank nubs.

Ah good mum can go to a bike shop today, anything you recon she would need to say to get the right type? (i’ll give her an existing spacer). Btw chears for your info so far.

Just make sure they’re really close in diameters.

If you can’t find the proper spacers you can just make some plastic ones. I have a bunch of plastic spacers on my DX wheelset because it came with one spacer missing and both sides would hit my frame.

The spacers that I made are basically plastic washers cut from an icecream lid

Ice cream lid! I’m asuming you not refuring to ones I comonly see, which ar about 0.8mm thick.

yah they are about 1 mm think, I have one on one side (It was barely rubbing the frame while riding) and 5 on the other to make up for the big spacer plus a bit extra. It does look sort of weird to have white plastic where everything else is black and red but it seems to work very well.

The spacers don’t have to be the perfect diameter. You can use standard washers from the hardware store. It doesn’t matter if they are a little too big.

I have an old pair of bike handlebars that I cut up for spacers, its just the right diameter.

Edd

Well my mum checked in evans today and had no luck, I may have a hunt around the garage later and see what i can dig up. And I may surf a few more bike shops. Luckly the nice people at DT will let my use an angle grinder in school. :slight_smile:

I used a virtical belt sander to grind off the nubs on my DX. I backed it against a block of aluminum to make sure I ground it flat. There are virtually no threads left for the crank puller.

I put them back on w/ a liberal amount of grease and to take them back off I had to wiggle it w/ a screwdriver between the crank and the frame (probably not a good idea to do that a bunch). Just loosening the pinch bolt has never been enough for me. W/ the grinding and the '04 KH bolt I never had much of a prob hitting the cranks.

Right now I have Qu-Ax 170 cranks on it and I’ve never had a prob hitting the nubs, thanks to the extra Q-factor.

When I put my 150’s back on I think I’ll put on a few of those spacers (one of my favorite things about my 170’s is the added Q-factor).

I’d love a set of the 145mm Qu-Ax cranks… but I can’t afford them.

Right I sorted out a date when I can use an angle grinder, cut some spacers now all I need to do is work out how much metal I need to take of; looking at this pivture below how much do you guys recon I should grind off? (Probs best to estimate in mm or photo shop a red line in.)

Btw Chears for all the help so far guys, I realy apreciate it. :slight_smile:

Here is fine.

cool

It worked :slight_smile: Chears for all the help guys. I’ll put a pic up at some point.

Of course it worked, not much to go wrong here.

Get those pictures up fast.

Befor:

after:

My ankles are saved:

Very nice work, took me some time to realise the point of the can was to act as a straight edge to show the nub is way inside the inner edge of the pedal.

Holy spacers bud.

Still don’t see how you hit your ankles in the first place :roll_eyes:

I only hit my ankles once or twice on the DX before I ground the nub down.

Well on a moderatly bad landing the edge of the can would be were my ankle would be. If the nub was still there then it would be dangerosly close to my ankle on a bad mess up.

Chears, the can was just lying around and i just had the idea, mabey not the best example though.

I ground off another 2 or 3 mm than that, until it was flush w/ the rest of the crank. I still had about 2 threads for the crank puller - not enough to be of any use:(