Mean Unicyclists

Has anyone ever met a mean unicyclist. I’ve only been riding for 4 months, but every unicyclist that I have ever met or talked to has been extremely nice.

I’m just wondering if it’s just the nature of the people interested in the sport, or does unicycling bring out the best in people?

i think that unicycling and personalities don’t really have much to do. Sure there are some who are very motivated and hard working, which comes from unicycling, while other are just an ass, which has absolutley nothing to do with unicycling.

Re: Mean Unicyclists

Ender writes:
>
>Has anyone ever met a mean unicyclist. I’ve only been riding for 4
>months, but every unicyclist that I have ever met or talked to has been
>extremely nice.
>
>I’m just wondering if it’s just the nature of the people interested in
>the sport, or does unicycling bring out the best in people?

It’s definitely the nature of the sport to interest nice ppl, and in
general, I think that most ppl are pretty nice, but there are probably
even more nice unicyclists than nice non-uni’ists.

I have only met ONE person (in 23 years) who was unwilling to share a
unicycle when asked by a stranger, and this non-sharer was a weird (ie,
‘mental’) woman who is otherwise perfectly nice.

David Stone

Re: Re: Mean Unicyclists

Errr, ahhhh, David, dare I say this??? Alright, I’ll spit it out… sometimes I don’t share my uni when a stranger asks to ride it!!! :frowning:

Most of my uni’s have pin pedals and I am reluctant to let a non leg armoured person try their luck at riding. And, then there is a rather more selfish example from this weekend when someone asked to try my new powder coated 29’er. I turned them down feeling protective of my new jewel of a uni and totally unsure of their riding ability. Selfish, I know but then again, hopefully, not ‘mental’.:slight_smile:

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Mean Unicyclists

Erin is a known unicycle meanie. I am trembling in my boots knowing that she will come here in June and do mean things to all of the Seattle unicyclists. We are not really emotionally prepared for it.

I see you have yet to meet the underworld of unicycling.
You should know your enemy, so look

HERE

i’d like to suggest that kris holm must be the meanest so-and-so in all the world of unicycling
he does all those amazing tricks and doesn’t even have the common decency to make them LOOK difficult!

HArrumph!
:angry:

I will not share my unicycle with someone who is so new they don’t catch
it when they fall off. (Unless it’s the odd member of the public, and I’m
holding them up anyway!)

I will not tolerate my seat height being changed (must remove that
quick-release!)

Apart from that, I don’t think I’m a meanie - and I don’t think I’ve met
another meanie.

Unlike some magicians who rely on a prop or secret to perform their art (I
realise there are some very skillful sleights, and that’s the only magic I
enjoy), we have no need to hide secrets from each other - I can easily show
someone how to wheel-walk. They’ll still have to put in as much effort as
I did to actually learn it!

Cheers,

Stu

Me and Sendhair. :wink:

Mean Unicyclists

Hmmmph!

I never, ever, killed even one squirrel with my unicycle. I ran over a nearly dead cicada once. That was a mercy-kill, really.

I wish I had a Coker, though, so I could do what Scott did to that idiot with the SUV!

What I’d really like is a unicycle with a tire fat enough to kill a car.

Wanna see a mean unicyclist? Just hum or whistle this here tune… then, RUN AWAY!

haha, I have never heard of the Thunderwheels before, but they better watch out. I am a proud member of the slowly rising Hell on Wheel gang.

I won’t share my unicycle if the person makes fun of me first, but thats not really mean.

The only mean thing i have done with my coker is trying to run some annoying little kids over. They were brandishing golf clubs at me (not in a comical way, but in a viscious and serious way) so i rode full speed towards them and shouted “AAARRRGGGHHH” at them very loudly. I nearly squashed them but they ran away screaming. maybe next time :wink:

Most of the times when I’ve seen the worst in unicyclists, it has been at the big conventions. Not the small ones, but the USA nationals and UNICONs. Sometimes it’s the parents, who aren’t necessarily riders, so maybe this doesn’t count. Think little league, or stage-mom.

Sometimes it’s in the riders, with their zeal to win overriding common courtesy, or the sensibilities of sport. I’ve seen bad winners, bad losers, and competitors trying to cheat. The dark side of competition.

I’ve also been bombarded by people “asking for favors” when I’ve been a track or artistic official. My wife Jacquie, who timed each and every Obstacle Course competitor in at the conventions in Washington last year, had some interesting observations. She noted many, many people who tried to talk her into ignoring what she’d just timed as an official run, etc. Some from obscure riders, and others from people who should know better.

I don’t know if any of that counts as mean, but it’s what came to my mind. As for mean unicyclists you meet on the street, I can’t seem to come up with any examples.

Except maybe Sem Abrahams, who wouldn’t let me ride the walking unicycle he was letting everyone else try at UNICON. He said the builder, Aaron Anderson, told him that anyone could ride it but John Foss. I have not heard this from Aaron, and don’t believe it.

Aaron may have been miffed because he wanted to try my B.C. wheel after the public show. I was in the process of removing all my stuff to the car, between the show and the screening of Into the Thunder Dragon, and assured him he could try it later on. But I didn’t see him at the school after that. That was a nice walking machine, Aaron. You know where you got the detailed photos you used to build it. No hard feelings, I hope.

Darn those ( boo hoo ! ) meanies!

Darn them, I say!

Hell On Wheel

Don’t you mean quickly rising Hell On Wheel Gang?
You’re right, they should watch out because we own Virginia.

Oh yeah, thats exactly what I meant. Virginia is ours already. YOU might be next! So watch your back.

> I will not share my unicycle with someone who is so new they don’t catch
> it when they fall off. (Unless it’s the odd member of the public, and I’m
> holding them up anyway!)

I don’t mind people dropping my uni.

> I will not tolerate my seat height being changed (must remove that
> quick-release!)

I totally agree. It’s such a pain.

> Apart from that, I don’t think I’m a meanie - and I don’t think I’ve met
> another meanie.

I’d add that I ignore those who do not demonstrate even a modicum
of politeness when asking for a go (mostly children). Such ignorant
behaviour is not to be rewarded. Does that make me a meanie?

Arnold the Aardvark

Re: Re: Mean Unicyclists

If it does, then call me a meanie too… I’ve only once said an outright “No” without even stopping, to a kid in a park who was obviously just trying to impress his mates and irritating everyone else there. I enjoyed it immensely… :slight_smile:

Phil

it’s obvious!

‘great sport, great people!’:wink:

if u compare the amount of times the ‘BAN’ function has been used on this forum with that of any other comparable forum, u’ll start to get the idea that unicyclists are a bunch of kewl people