Legality of unicycling

I was wondering if anyone here knows exactly how unicycling relates to the laws mostly concerning bicycles. I imagine it varies from state to state, but I remember reading something that said in the exact lettering of the law, some places regarded unicycling the same as walking. I live in a town that has a pedestrian mall where all biking is prohibited, but I wonder if I would be allowed to unicycle? Does anyone know about these laws?
Thanks!

topside

77 posts on the topic:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23563http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23563

Later,
Eli.

Lots of previous posts on this. I’m not belittling the question, just saying there’s lots of recent discussion if you search for it.

The consensus seems to be, laws vary from state to state and country to country, but if you ride with courtesy and common sense, give way even when you think you have right of way, and cause no damage or disturbance, you will usually get a positive response, or at least be left alone.

If EVER you ask for permission and are refused, you’re stuffed. Better not to ask, then apologise and ask politely for clarification if stopped.

[P.S. At the risk of being accused of being the Spelling Police, the pedant in me can’t help observing, it’s “solipsistic”, not “solopsistic”. Sorry.]:wink:

the thing about “malls” (shoping centres in the u.k.) is that they are private property, and are thus ruled by security guards and the law is often diferent when applied to private property.
i’ve been asked to take my unicycle and chain it up outside by shopping centre security guards before, when i wan’t even riding it.

Correct. If it’s private property, the law doesn’t matter. From a common sense point of view, the mall is protecting itself from liability, so in any “official” sense, they will probably prohibit you if you ask.

If you are observed riding in a stable and sensible way, you may be fine, depending on the mood and tastes of the security person you run into. If you are unstable, riding fast, too close to pedestrians, etc., you can and should be stopped. If you are practicing tricks or Trials, you are clearly in the wrong place, and should probably also be stopped. Again, assuming it’s private property.

If it’s a public space, the law prevails more. However, if you’re a possible threat to the safety of the pedestrians around you, any competent cop or security person is doing their job if they ask you to move on. Remember, their job is safety, which applies firstly to the innocent pedestrians, and secondly to you. Also, they are even more concerned with not being sued, either by you or a pedestrian. Telling them you won’t sue of course is not effective.