leaning left as i ride.

I’m having to lean left as i ride to ride my 24" but yet on my 20" i can sit st8 and slowly pedal ast a snails pace.

Anyonw know what it could be?

I dunno, but I have the same problem.

Anything bigger than 20" and I ride all squint. Get by allright tho. I’ve stopped seeing it as a problem and now see it as my riding style.

I ride big wheels all squint.

I wouldn’t worry to much, unless the traffic is on your left!

T.

Same problem here. Except that I notice the difference between my 24 and my 29. Straight on the 24, crooked on the 29. I’ve noticed that changing the tire on my 29 made a noticable improvement but I still ride it a little bit crooked. I think it’s a dominant leg problem but not sure. Sucks though :angry: I’ve brought this up in other threads and everyone says to just keep practicing and it’ll get better.

That could be the problem. I’ve noticed a lean too, and I’ve always had a dominant right leg. Lately I’ve been learning one-footed riding and idling with my left foot to get rid of the dominance, and it seems to be helping. My pedal stroke is much smoother than it used to be.

I don’t think I lean, but I turn about 100x better to the left than I can to the right.

shrug

Variables:

1. Tire. Some tires have a more pointed cross-section than others, and can be hard to ride in a straight line without constant adjustment. Compare the tires on the two cycles.

2. Riding surface. Is your surface level? Are you on the side of a road? Try riding the same line in the opposite direction, or on various surfaces to rule that out. The side of the road is never flat and always tilts toward the curb.

3. Cycle build or wheel true. If the wheel is crooked, or dished to one side, this can put the unicycle out of line. Look down from the top of the uni. Does everything look straight? Check the rim in relation to the axle. Is it centered? Now, even if you see something that’s not 100% plumb, this may not be the problem. Some unicycles can be totally out of whack and still ride fine.

4. Seat height/crank length. If these are different between the two cycles, the problem could be biometric (you). Try different seat heights, or different crank lengths.

5. Imaginary. Is it all in your mind? Try leaning the opposite way on purpose for a while. Does this change anything?

Those were listed in rough order of importance/likelihood. Work on them in that order.

If you had an objective way of analyzing your practicing habits, you would most likely find that you’ve spent at least 20x more time practicing left turns than right turns. Do you tend to turn left because it’s easier? That’s the problem. Switch the ratio around, and work those right turns. After a while they’ll be about equal, unless your body is noticeably not symmetrical.

Don’t let yourself be Zoolander (who couldn’t turn left)!

This tend to be a big problem with unicycling (and probably in life, generally) that we always tend to gravitate to our comfort zones. I idle well with my right foot so I don’t like to do it with my left. I try it a couple of times, realize that I suck at it and go back to right foot. I’ve been trying to idle lefty and mount lefty as much as possible but my comfort zone keeps drawing me back in. It’s a psych-illogical problem.:wink:

Now that I run through my usual course in my head, I’m usually riding “counterclockwise” over a larger distance (so it’s not harsh lefts, but certainly a lot more left than right). I’ll have to start going the opposite direction around my course for a while.

I think this is just my routine and that’s what I’ve gotten better at faster.

Last check, I’d say I qualify as symmetrical :wink:

(sorry for the minor thread hijack)

Lean? What about twisted position?

Sometimes I find myself leading with my right shoulder as I unicycle. If I’m fatigued, I’m even twisted in my torso. This happened yesterday during my long-distance training ride and I realized I was also on a road surface that was slanted (higher on my right and lower on the left). Felt really awkward and I couldn’t get out of it. I looped around and found that the opposite direction on the same road produced the same effect, but left shoulder forward. After resting a bit, I could go through with no twisting.

Also, noticed that my Nimbus 29er tire looks almost a little over an eighth of an inch closer to the left fork than to the right. Is this a problem with the wheel dishing? It’s basically new.

It could be the wheel dish, or the tire itself could be seated asymetrically, or the frame could be bent. The tire seating, you can probably eyeball; does the bead look like it’s seated about the same on both sides of the tire? If so, then it’s probably a wheel dish problem; you can check that by removing the tire and then using a dishing tool or just turning the wheel around in your unicycle frame to see if the error moves to the other side. If it’s still closer to the left fork when you flip the wheel around, the frame is probably not straight.

If the wheel dish is off, you can fix it by tightening all the spokes on one side of the wheel (the right side, in your case).

If the frame is not straight, you can probably get away with bending it. You might want to have a pro do that.

Are your sit bones symmetrical

http://www.nidus-corp.com/bass.html

Twisted riding position

[QUOTE=uniikki]
Are your sit bones symmetrical

Think I’ll check out the uni first, as I would rather not ask around for a tool to measure the symmetry of my sit bones.

[quote=“abridged”]

Still less have them adjusted.:frowning:

Cathy

[quote=“cathwood”]

Yikes! But then I suppose it depends on whether I’m being adjusted for dishing or out-of-roundness.