Ladies Saddle Comfort

Hey,
I’ve been going out unicycling with my girl friend Sarah but we can’t seem to get the saddle in a comfortable position for her for more than a mile and was jut wondering if anyone had any advice.

I’ve tried the stuff that makes my saddle comfortable such as tilting the saddle nose up so you can sit on the broad part bit at the back but that doesn’t seem to help - the only thing that has seemed to work is putting a Kris Holm saddle that I broke landing on it on the uni - this has a lot flatter profile and seems to be a more comfortable. She wears cycling shorts which does seem to help a fair bit. All the saddles we’ve got are the Kris Holm / velo ones with the standard foam padding - I haven’t tried to make an air seat but I guess that may well help. So if anyone has any advice or anything that worked for them then it’d be good to hear about it - possible things that I was wondering about other than an air seat were different saddle, getting a rail adapter and new seat post for more adjustment.Thanks in advance for any help

cheers

Roland

The important thing about saddle discomfort is to endure it. Manage it with regular changes of position, and occasional stops, but get used to it. Eventually, you’ll hardly notice it.

When I was in the Cyclists’ Touring Club, I had a friend who was a lady aged about 70. She rode over 5,000 miles a year on the narrowest unsprung unpadded leather saddle available.

Tut! The young people of today.

I’ve got and riden on loads of different saddles over the years, so heres my 2p.
The KH/velo saddle is quite deep, if you have a viscount handy try that its a very differnt feel to the KH. My fav saddle is an air over miyata base with a leather cover ( from unicycle.uk.com). My hockey uni ( on who saddle I probadly sit the hardest is a viscount, but an old soft one, they sometimes take some wearing in!

None of them are total comfort at all times. I do have to let the blood back to me tender areas every now and again. Cycle shorts with out underwear do help tho as does getting used to it:-) Wet cycle shorts are particulary un comfy tho, try to avaoid.
hope that helps
Sarah

If she likes a flat KH, you may want to try one of the Koxx saddles. Here’s a like to a recent thread.
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36378&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Saddle comfort is a very personal thing, and what works for one person may be torture for the next. So take all this advice, but remember your solution may be different.

It’s definitely true that you must shift positions from time to time, and let the circulation back in. When riding trails or Freestyle I usually stop a lot, so I’m on and off all the time. When I ride to work however, I am kind of glued to the seat. This is when I have to remind myself to shift around now and again, before I start feeling numb.

I’ve got a spare viscount doing nothing if you want to try it. Gary has one of those Koxx Gel seats.

I’d agree with Mike though, there’s a certain level of just riding more until it stops hurting so much and you’re ok. Brooks bike saddles are famous for needing riding in, it’s similar with unicycle saddles to some extent.

Joe

This may seem obvious, but if you get cycle shorts, be sure to check the gender. I redundantly repeat: for obvious reasons.

Cheers for the ideas folks - we’ll let you know how we get on with the experiements but I think that a flatter saddle like the Koxx or miyata might be a good start also from my experience of bike saddles possibly removing some of the thicknees of padding from one of the KH saddles might work( this may seem counter intuitive but from many miles on bikes - the saddles that are uncomfortable are the one with the deep padding that means that pressure gets applied all over not just to the bony bits) anyway it looks like saddle experimentation will give us something to do in the New Year - any more good ideas then don’t be shy - shout up

thanks for the advice

Roland

<Thread jack (the thread was probably going to die soon anyway)>

Leather bike saddles supposedly get worn into the ideal shape of the rider after some hours of use. After that they’re said to be more comfortable than padded saddles.