Kris Holm Unicycle vs. Yuni Unicycle

It seems like this thread has reached a dead end until Ryan, Kris, Darren, or one of the other riders with extensive experience on both wheelsets shows up.

I can’t wait until this “I want my uni as light as possible” fad blows over… :roll_eyes:

The hub sits at the center of the wheel. A few extra ounces of weight savings here won’t affect the wheel’s moment of inertia nearly as much as a few extra ounces of weight saved at the outside of the wheel.

You want a wheel with low inertia? Cut off the knobbies on the outside of the tire. Get a carbon fiber stem cap. Replace your rubber inner tube with a mylar balloon. Fill it with hydrogen. Scrape the paint off your rim and spokes. Now you’ve got a light wheel!

I think you’re looking for this thread.

[QUOTE=maestro8]

People who don’t ride very hard can buy a “cheapie” unicycle, like the Torker. QUOTE]
psh. i ride my new torker DX('06) like its indistructable. its a quality unicycle.
it may not be the best but it IS the best for the money.

AND 06 TORKER DX’S ARENT CHEAP!

you can “psh” but can you say “poor design”?

I ride a unicyle equivalent to the Yuni (I bought the parts before they were sold as a whole unicyle), and I recommend the KH. Profiles are great, but the KH has everything else going for it, plus it’s cheaper.

-JD

That’s an interesting thread in this context. It includes ChangingLinks talking about how his unicycle with high-end parts needs work all the time, and how Torker won’t honor the warranty on their frames if they weren’t put together by an official dealer (another way that warranties are a scam).

How long has the keyway problem been in existence? Are profile paying any attention at all to the unicycle side of business (which is likely quite small) since the first development of the hub? I’ve never heard of updates to the profile hub, so ‘tried and tested’ is kinda worthless when somebody who knows what they’re doing looked at the profile, a top-notch hub for its day, and ironed out all the bumps. THAT is why the KH is better. Not only that, but it will continue to improve as time goes on. So even IF the KH is miraculously worse than the profiles (and I really, sincerely doubt this is the case), then it will eventually be better. :stuck_out_tongue:

honnestly my self I never had the key-way prob with profiles neither do any of the other unicyclists I kno… the only prob I heard of from the other ones are broken cranks…and Im talking about hardcore ppl here…

I have the exact Yuni model being discussed here, have had it since 2003, and have had keyway slop since early 2005. It’s now pretty bad. Even though I’m not “hardcore ppl.”

What exactly does the keyway slop do? Do the cranks just have alot of play or do they move slightly independently of the wheel (like just a little, not freewheel)?

The cranks move left and right, through the hub.