Koxx 1 Light cranks?

dude, gilby should sticky that.

that’s great to know, the fact that all those cranks fit the new moment hub.

Its only the koxx hubs that are not isis.

I think the K1 axle is slightly bigger (and there are some other problems that make it not up to ISIS standard) so the cranks will fit on fit on other hubs since if anything the interface part would be too big but you can’t put other ISIS cranks on a koxx hub.

I haven’t tried it before but in a few days I will have new kh cranks that I can attempt to put on one of my koxx hubs. People have tried it and said it doesnt work.

Thats really good to know man! But how bout cranks to Koxx hub, if you could do that test in that aspect it would forever solve this debate…anyone got a Koxx hub and Kh cranks at there grasp to test?

yeah in a couple weeks I should have a Koxx light hub and my friend has spare KH cranks at his house so I will get back to this

Please look in this thread at Roger’s comments about the ISIS-issue (which should really be made a sticky).
Unless people learn to use the search function this debate will go on forever…

The only open question is if Koxx cranks will actually work on ISIS hubs, or if there is some loosening or damage over time.

I think you meant, the only open question is if there is any difficulties mounting other cranks to K1 hubs.

I have now tried K1 cranks on 6 different brands of ISIS spline, there is not an issue. They fit nice and snug, as they should (same as Petes experience above). All I ever heard was “a friend” or “I heard” or “they say”…never any first hand knowledge. With six different manufacturers splines K1 cranks tested on, I am confident in saying there is no issue using K1 cranks on other hubs.

I have a couple K1 hubs here, today I will pop by local bike shop and see if they have some ISIS cranks to try on the K1 spindle (ISIS is ISIS, regardless of applicantion [bike or uni]). Will report findings later…

It has been known for some time that you can put K1 cranks on ISIS hubs. This simply follows from the way Koxx violates the ISIS specification (see Rogers comments). Roland from Municycle.com also tested this (I had asked him about using the 89mm cranks with an Qu-ax hub for a freestyle uni).

However, there may very well be long-term issues. The tolerance between cranks and hub might wear them out (like it happens with cottorless cranks). Additionally the the cranks may creep up the hub until they can no longer be fixed (since they are made for a shorter contact area).
To test this somebody has to ride such a setup really hard for at least a month. Personally I am not brave/rich enough.

I am not sure what you mean by long term issues. I have installed hundreds of ISIS cranks, some went on a little tougher than others (usually simply a result of the finish on the spline of the spindle or crank arms themselves). When I install cranks I do so with a rubber mallet. This insures they are seated properly. I did the same for the K1 cranks onto other brand spindles… they fit like any other cranks fit. If they fit on loose, I would accept the premise of your concern…however, if they go on the same (snug) as other brand cranks my fears are eswaged.

I do not dispute others experience with K1 hubs. Maybe they have changed them? I just don’t see how if a K1 crank (with same splines/fit as other cranks) fits K1 spindle, that nothing else does. Just defies logic.

K1 fit

Anyone out there with ISIS cranks live in the Buffalo, NY area? Would like to put this to rest in my mind once and for all.

If you try to feel if they are loose by hand you can’t really put stress on them. So my concern is that under the much higher stresses of rough riding they may move a little (maybe not enough to be felt, but enough to wear them out over time). I am not an expert on this at all, but other people share my concern in this regard.

Did you look at the thread I linked to? If they changed their cranks that would mean that they are now incompatible to their older hubs (and I have not heard of any such cases).

if the koxx cranks where fine on other isis hubs, i’m sure yoggie would have come and shouted it to everyone. Fact is, he seems to be hiding in a hole about this issue… which makes me think its a very true one.

The splines on the Koxx hub/cranks are out of tollerance, this means that the splines on the hub are slightly bigger than KH/Quax, this also means that the hole in the cranks is slightly larger so it can fit on the hub. As the hole is bigger it will fit on the KH and Quax hub but not as tight as the REAL ISIS cranks. If you wanted to install Quax or KH cranks on a Koxx hub you’d have to use a sledge hammer. That’s the easy/quick explanation.

While this all sounds interesting. So far, myself and one other person on this thread have actually tried recent K1 cranks on other spindles. They fit… they fit snug (i.e. nice and tight… not loose…nor over tight). The rest is all “sure Yoggi would have…”, "if this, then that’, “should have, could have, would have”. Unless someone else has experience with recent K1 cranks otherwise… please reduce you input into this conversation. I am trying learn something and get beyond speculation…

I am not saying that other cranks do not fit on K1 hubs. It is just hard to understand that if the cranks fit nicely to other hubs, and fit nicely to K1 hubs… logic dictates that other hubs will fit onto K1 hubs. I understand this is the cycling industry, and logic is not always fact (god I know that after 25 years!!). But you all do understand my lack of understanding how this works…yes?

edit

“logic dictates that other hubs will fit onto K1 hubs”

ooops, should have read “logic dictates that other cranks will fit onto K1 hubs”

Why should we, because you are so special and important? I give up. Have you tried to actually read the post from Roger I linked to? :angry:

Seriously, why do you waste our time? You don’t have anything to add to this discussion. Unless you are a genius and Roger, Roland (from Municycle.com) and Kris Holm are all idiots.

I have two Koxx 1 ISIS hubs that I have mounted Truvativ Luftalarm cranks on with no problems (see my avatar for my Koxx 1/Truvativ Luftalarm/Large Marge wheelset). I measured my Koxx ISIS hubs and one seems to be within the ISIS spec and one might be slightly out of spec (by 0.1 mm). My hubs are clearly not the same as the five hubs that Roland measured that were clearly out of spec.

Here is what is known about the Koxx 1 ISIS hubs:

I own one K1 hub that is probably within the ISIS specification and one that is either within the ISIS specification or very close.

Roland measured five K1 hubs (two from one batch and three from another batch) that were outside of the specification.

Some KH cranks do not fit on some K1 hubs.

Some non K1 ISIS cranks do fit on some K1 hubs.

That is a pretty small sample set to reach any reasonable conclusion. About the only conclusion that can be reached is that Koxx 1 is having problems with their ISIS hub production.

The question is “Are my hubs “quality errors” or are the ones that Roland measured “quality errors”?”. Or put another way “Did Koxx 1 intended to put non-ISIS hubs into production?”. We will not know the answer to this unless we have a larger sample set.

I plan to order a set of KH 165 ISIS cranks for my Koxx 1/Large Marge wheelset. When I get around to doing this I will post my results.

Has anyone else mounted non-Koxx 1 cranks on a K1 hub?

Sorry for being somewhat rude in my last post.

If Koxx has indeed changed their hub specs over time that would probably imply some changes of the cranks as well, right? So has anyone tried if the latest Koxx light cranks fit on KH, Qu-ax or Onza hubs? Now that would be something new.

Sorry, I did not mean to be abrupt either. I do not question the findings of Roger or Kris Holm. That was not the intent of the responce, if it came off that way I appologize.

I am not more important than anyone. I am just trying to find concrete evidence as to what works and what does not. I have found (as have others) that there is no issue with K1 cranks on numerous other ISIS spec spindles. The question is whether non K1 cranks fit on to current K1 hubs. To this end, there is little hard evidence one way or another currently.

I accept any outcome there might be, just that getting facts (as opposed to conjecture) seems to be hard to come by.

Again, I appologize for any statements made that may have been construed as questioning anyones integrity. The facts are all I am after.

I wonder if i ordered koxx cranks and they did not fit on a kh hub, if i could return them from where ever i got them?