KH Trials vs Nimbus Trials

I’ve been out of unicycling for awhile, and I would like to get back into it with something to replace my old Torker DX. It looks like my two choices are a Nimbus or a KH. I’m just wondering if it’s worth spending the extra cash on the KH. Also, if I do get a Nimbus, I plan on upgrading the cranks to Moments. So I guess my question boils down to whether or not shaving a pound is worth $200. I already decided that a pound and a half was not worth over $700. Any input on this matter would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

This is really your choice, based on lifestyle, willing to spend, etc.

I’d get a KH in a flash, but that’s because of me, not because of you or anybody else. This is why asking these sorts of questions are kind of meaningless as people can’t really help you.

PS. I’d get a KH ;).

i have 5 nimbus trials. with moments.

i don’t care about the extra weight.

they are very strong.

Seems like you could have used some money to buy a CF base and KH alu frame to make a better ride than having more of them. Having a spare is cool, but 5? (Mad style!:smiley: lol)

Quality is better over quantity. I’ve had my CF s wallis seat base and thompson post for about 3-4 years: survived over 6 wheelsets. Still the best thing EVER on my uni. It was expensive, but worth it!

i had a kh alum frame that broke in 4 short months of riding, when i actually sucked anyway. it would hold up for a month nowadays.

nimbus trials are quality. just heavy.

It must have been a defect. Did you get it replaced? KH warranty is pretty sick.
I broke a KH ti hub and got it replaced free of charge.

Edit: Nimbus are heavy and very reliable (and awesome colours), I have to admit.

it was the crappy 07 version. hub flanges also bent quickly on that unicycle. never checked on the warranty at that time. didn’t care, a nimbus frame was 45$.

what happened was, i jacked up the rim on the 07 kh, so i just put the frame on my nimbus which i had just got as a spare, and on the first ride the frame broke. then and there i decided id always use nimbus. it doesn’t really even seem heavier while you’re riding anyway.

my first nimbus is still just fine, its my main uni actually for rail riding, and its now a year and 2 months old. done probably 10 thousand drops on the thing.

so who knows how long itll last, i feel i’ve already got my money out of it.

but i know theyll never last forever, as any unicycle won’t…

but thats why i got so many spares, cause thats exactly what works for me. now in the future, they will try to reduce weight and increase prices, and they will probably be weaker. already, the kh moments have much more material removed, for weight savings, but i’d rather have the extra 50g, cause i know thats what works. i mean jeez…50 freakin grams. i could cut calories for a couple weeks if i wanted to shave 50 grams.

so i got my old 09 nimbus trials unis thatll probably last until im too old for trials.

nimbus trials is just as strong as the kh. the rim is kh anyway. the frame is obviously stronger. never even came close to bending the axles on the hubs. on the oldest, one flange is barely bent in one spot. one thing thats probably stronger on the new khs is the flanges.

but yeah. theyre still quality, it had better be quality if its $340…like i said…just heavier

I am able to afford the KH, that is not a problem. But I do consider myself a somewhat frugal spender, and I cannot justify spending that much extra money on saving about a pound of weight. I realize that aluminum frames are stiffer than steel ones, but would that even make a difference if I’m doing trials/street? I’m curious as to whether there are any other advantages to the KH uni besides minor weight savings and a stiffer frame. If anyone can shed light on this or link me to another related topic, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I’m not too worried about frame strength since I’m in the 130-135 pound range.

I would just go with the KH. I thought about getting a nimbus instead of a KH also. I ended up getting the KH, so glad I did. I believe that the extra money is worth it. And also if you have enough money for the KH you had might as well buy it, you will be glad you did.

Get a KH. I started with a Nimbus but with less then a year I ended with a KH. love it.

I can say the extra lightnes does help I’ve improved my jump high static gap rolling gap and many other thing that are really great skills for trials and street.

GO KH!!!

The only problem I have had with my nimbus is the way the crown is. I catch my pants on it somtimes and I feel it is probably a little more painful when I hit my leg on it.
I mostly do flat and street stuff, I would imagine with actual trials it wouldnt be so bad…

Alright, I’m fairly convinced that the KH is my best choice. I should be ordering one fairly shortly. Thanks for the input.

Also just to add, the KH rims are 5mm wider. Which might make them a tiny bit more stable on natural terrain. Won’t make any difference on urban obstacles though (too squared off).

Good decision.

Having owned both brands, the KH has a feel to it that is really nice. You are paying for less weight and I believe tighter tolerances in manufacturing which gives it a higher quality feel, definitely noticeable. Nimbus is great, but it doesn’t feel as good, if you never had a KH you wouldn’t know the difference. There is a reason most people who can afford them buy them :slight_smile: and probably even some people who can’t afford them.

Well, shelling out almost six hundred bucks should be enough motivation to get me back into this sport. It also gives me an excuse to give my old DX to my 11-year-old cousin who recently got into unicycling because of me. It should make a nice Muni for the little guy, and a big step up from his CX. :smiley:

i just don’t understand how its 230 more dollars than a nimbus with kh moments.

i mean, lets face it, whats really different is the frame.

the nimbus rim is a kh 06 anyway. still very light and strong, and has no drillings (which i hate…again i’d rather have the extra 50g for the what…2x strength?)

the nimbus comes with an alu seatpost as well now.

i just…don’t understand. i got the ol kh when it was $469. that seemed a reasonable price. but the rim broke quickly because of the drillings, and the frame snapped much faster than i’d of liked it to.

i mean jeez… you could buy a nimbus with moments, AND a kh frame, and you’ll be paying $540…30$ less than the kh, and have a spare frame. (they do have diff seatpost diameters tho, kh is bigger, which is better)

i don’t care what anyone says about the quality. they are equal. the fact of the matter is, the kh is just lighter. i’ve put so much abuse on my nimbus…probably two hundred times the amount i put on the kh…which was nothing because i was a newb, and it still broke.

and as far as the feel of them…uh…i’ve had the kh and the nimbus, and they both feel the same. if anything, the nimbus would be smoother. sorry, but steel frames…although heavier…feel more solid. that’s the way it is in the roadbiking world. you can choose steel or alu(or others obviously, carbon or ti) and the steel frame will feel much smoother than the alu. the alu frame is just so stiff(DOESN’T MEAN IT’S STRONGER)

Assuming the Nimbus is configured with Moments and a KH street saddle the extra money gets you the KH frame, fancy aluminum double-pin post, wider rim, slick looking hub with aluminum flanges, and an extra set of pedals (the KH comes with both Odyssey metal and plastic pedals). It’s arguable how much these improve the uni for riding but they are nice. Also the price difference between the Nimbus and KH changes from time to time so there are times when one seems to give more value over the other (the KH was last on sale in March, the Nimbus in April).

Assuming the Nimbus is configured with Moments and a KH street saddle the extra money gets you the KH frame, fancy aluminum double-pin post, wider rim, slick looking hub with aluminum flanges, and an extra set of pedals (the KH comes with both Odyssey metal and plastic pedals). It’s arguable how much these improve the uni for riding but they are nice. Also the price difference between the Nimbus and KH changes from time to time so there are times when one seems to give more value over the other (the KH was last on sale in February, the Nimbus in April).

I haven’t ridden eith except for a short while. But I have ridden a Koxx-One and an Onza (pretty similar change). And I have to say the K-1 is a much better uni. I haven’t broken more on it and its a bit lighter with a wider rim.

Also they (KH) have changed their flanges so they will no longer bend, the rims now have off-set spokes, and the frames have been made stronger then the 07. Even the seat and post are better. They really have improved over the past 3 or four years…

Also they now ride 14 gauge spokes which are stronger (except maybe at the nipple). Much better unicycle, although a Nimbus certainly isn’t abd and would be fine for pretty much anyone.

What? The Onza frame is terrible. Very wide at the top. Nasty stuff. Cranks are nice and light but i’ve heard people bending them quite quickly.

The K1 is a nice enough unicycle (used to have a red devil), however, the rim is weaker than even the 07KH rim, the frame is wider than the nimbus one and bearing holders are of terrible quality. The seats are nicer, but for trials the new impact seats are nicer anyways.

I would get the nimbus. Value wise it’s unbeatable. if you want it to be lighter, buy a KH frame, get some Wellgo MG-1 pedals and it’ll be lighter than the KH. Oh and if you want some plastic pedals, UDC sells them at £2.50 or 3.50 if you want them in colour. And they are great plastics!

As for the rim, my mate rides a KH05, and I ride a tryall undrilled, I can’t tell the difference. No holes = better.