KH Trials vs Nimbus Trials

Noted on frame widths. Never compared them side by side. I assumed they were about the same. Never bent my Tensiles, of course I only rode them for half the life of that uni (switched to 125’s)…

I’m riding the Aleinbackflip frame if that is any different. And K-1 street rim and would agree that the drilled k-1 rim is probably weaker then the 07 (bigger drillouts I think on K-1?). Hubs certainly are better. Had bent flanges on my Onza one (same as KH I think but black).

If you wanted to do what he said I think bedford may have some old KH frames for $125. I’m almost positvie they have them in 29" not sure about other sizes.

The K1’s are from 6000 series aluminium and the KH from 7000 series. They K1 rims are also more expensive.

The alienbackflip frame is reasonably nice, but why would you buy it instead of the KH longkneck? The bearing holders on it are terrible too. The KH and nimbus frames have much nicer ones. (I guess it only matters if you take your wheelset apart often!)

I did snap an alien backflip frame… although not sure they are weaker than the KH08 longnecks like I currently have.

Onza ISIS hub is the moment 07 hub in black.

Got it all used/new from somone with the exception of all my replacement parts (tube, Cf base, post, and tire). I definately wouldn’t reccomend K-1 over KH, but my K-1 uni has held up well enough for me and the wheelset has gone through three riders. Rather have my K-1 then a Nimbus for sure (except maybe nimbus street).

Whats so bad about the bearing holders?

I dont like the way they are in three parts. So you have to put the nuts in, figure out a way of making them stay there, and then you can put the bolts in whithout making the screws fall out. I remember watching spencer trying to do it and it took him ages, and there was me thinking - damn this is stupid.

efreakinxactly. i can’t STAND drilled rims. i’ve said it again and again…its like 50g of weight savings for a horrendous amount of strength loss. JUST imagine how strong the kh 09 and 10 rim would be without drillings(ohhh…and only like 50g heavier??? wow!) and you got 36 more places for cracks to develop. i’m afraid of just putting my valve hole in my dropping spot on my nimbus. i don’t even care if it’s rotational weight…20’s are already light & small as hell, you generate so much torque…rotational weight will barely make a diff unless you were doing some kinda 20" races…in which case you’d be using a thin rim, cotterless cranks, etc…

i also agree with the bolts thing(about the k-1). my oldest, first uni had that. which was some cheap thing off ebay…get with the times! go freakin alan on everything so we only have to carry 1 tool.

drilled rims are strong. Bike trials riders go huge on them. Check out some GTS riders from the UK, like damon watson. A good wheel build is more important than the holes.

Trial bikers also change their rims alot more often than I want to… My mates in bristol used to change wheels so often it didn’t really matter about how long they’d last. Me I’d rather they last - building wheels is a pain.

That sounds really fishy idk about that

Do you guys realize that the new KH rim has oval holes that are smaller and it is much stronger?!

You guys need to think this argument over. I mean look at yourselves. seriously. One of you like nimbus and the oher people like KH or K1. so what? It just your opinions and your experience with the uni and what you guys like. Btw opinions are like assholes; everybody has one and they all stink so there.

I’d go with KH or K1 :wink: lol

there’s pics of my pathetic 07 rim…all with the drillings in just various spots…it’s like someone just said “f it” and didn’t even measure when they were drilling.

after that wheelset went, i put the frame on my brand new nimbus trials because the seatpost was too low on the nimbus frame, and the 27.2 kh seatpost wouldn’t fit in the nimbus frame. so i swapped the frame. my first ride, the frame snapped.

frame:
and just for the hell of it…my 1 year 3 month old nimbus…that’s prob had 5000 drops done on it…still runnin strong as ever… spokes have broke on it. i’ve replaced em. with my kh wheelset spokes, hahaaha.

And you’re a victim of marketing my friend…

You know I think if you put a gold penny on your frame it makes it stronger too…

In all seriousness have you owned both? Let alone ridden both?

Once I get my KH I’ll go ride it off a curb, no smaller than 4 inches (it is supposed to handle that, right?), to put all of the arguments to rest. We’ll see who’s more broken after my little experiment.

I have ridden a nimbus, KH, and K1 but putting something that was not originally on the frame probably will not make it any stronger but make it heavier. and yes i still own a three and i have ridden all the each for a long period of time

Thats all? You just turn it upside down and put every one in enough so that they don’t fall off, turn it around, and then tighten the bolts. Maybe not as easy as a KH, but not much harder at all.

The bearing holders don’t seem much different to me besides that.

i just wish i woulda got my freakin money outta my kh :(. i definitely didn’t… which is why i will probably never buy another kh20.

the only thing i like is kh moments… and even the moments are smaller now. more material removed for a 50g savings…another 50g i’m not interested in saving. i’ll clip my toe nails…my hair…shave, and eat a bit less before a ride, and there…i’ve saved 50g.

why can’t i buy the old kh cranks, and kh rims without drillings? oh, that’s right… i need stuff with a higher probability of breaking, so i have to buy new things. unfortunately i don’t think these things are about weight savings, but profit increase…

By making better, lighter things, they are indeed making a profit, but that doesn’t mean that is the only reason they are doing it. People certainly do want better components, and all of them are not better merely because of their weight savings. A lot of the stuff is improved in strength.

Also moment’s are pretty much bombproof I doubt 50g will change that.

Pretty much everything on the nimbus has been taken from early versions of KH models.

The hub: the same as the KH07
The rim: KH06
The seat: KH07 but stapled
Upgrade cranks to moments
etc.

Really, you are riding a unicycle that has more KH in it than nimbus. KH has brought many new concepts to the unicycling world. Some haven’t been a huge success, like the sym cranks and the double crown frame. I think that he has done very well for how little money is in the market and with a limited budget. The KH unicycle just keeps on getting better and better.

KH has been listening to and has been addressing rim problems. Offset spokes, oval holes, and eyelets over the last two years. I hear that the '11 rims will be more concaved to increase strength.

Shaving weight off yourself won’t change the way your ride feels. Your hair and toe nails would not be 50g, unless you have very poor hygiene. Eating less will give you less energy…
The moments are bomb proof, and super heavy. Bike trials riders ride 170mm cranks that are lighter than the 137mm moments with no problems, some even come with lifetime warranties. They go ridiculously huge: look at any Danny macaskill videos: cranks: middleburns.

It may seem like negligible weight savings off one part, but if many parts are lighter, the unicycle will feel noticeably different. It’s because you shaved “useless” weight savings here and there for a greater weight loss in the big picture. Not only that, but the KH rim feels a lot more stable than the nimbus. I see a lot of folding over in you videos that could be prevented with a good ol’ fresh '10 KH rim. gasp!

There isn’t much profit to be made in the unicycle business, so don’t act so abused. Profit isn’t really the driving factor behind KH unis, but more a way of supporting the unicycling scene with quality products. There are hundreds of riders out there who are riding KH with no problems and going big.

I am not bashing nimbus, they are the best unicycles for their price range. Just stop telling people that KH sux because you wrecked an '07 frame that was probably still under warranty, how you abused your rim to pieces, and how your innocence was crushed by the cruel money making KH corporation.

Let tell you that many people who do trials like Joe Hodges and Fabian Mark probably weigh different. By shaving, eating less, cutting your hair, ect is not the same as a lighter uni. When you pull the uni with you; you can tell weather or not the uni is heavy to you or not. but by making youself lighter you might be able to jump a little higher but you won’t notice it. all im saying is that the weight between you and the uni is different. and plus all those 50g’s you are interested in saving will add up to a lighter uni and plus you can buy many other rims if you don’t like the KH ones. just look around :wink:

I’m not sure if it’s changed but I know the bolts used to be slightly shorter than they should have been too so you had to be careful to thread them in enough. During the Wuko3 street comp one of my bearing holder bolts got a little loose and I did some trick off a manny pad and the nut flew off and hid away under some pallets, so that’s kind of annoying.

Just wanted to add that a lot of the profit from KH stuff goes directly back into the sport. A company needs to make quite a bit to fund later developments, a good example is how Kris recently redesigned the seat bases. Whatever goes into making a new injection mold is unbelievably expensive, but the improvement is significant. Nimbus now uses the new KH base too so supporting KH is not just making someone rich.