KH frame issue

So my wheel was alined slightly to the right(1-2 mm) and I had tried to true it and couldn’t get it to center. I had read that you should flip your wheel around to make sure it is not a fault in the frame in a thread about this a few months ago. So I decided I would flip it around to make sure it was the wheel and not the frame. When I got it flipped around the wheel was still alined to the right. Does this mean I have a faulty frame? If so who should I contact about getting a new one(under warrenty)?

If it still leans to the same side after you flip it in the frame, then it is the frame. If it was a steel frame I would probably just straighten it, but aluminum is a funny material. I would contact whoever you bought it from to find out how to get it replaced. Was it like this from the get go? If so, it should be a warranty issue.

Did you say 1-2 mm? On a 20" that might be enough to notice, maybe. I don’t think I would even worry about it.

Ill post some pics tomorrow. Its is very noticeable. The tire is actally like 2-3 mm from the leg of the frame on one side vs like a little less than 1 cm maybe on the other side.

Are you sure the bearings are going all the way into the holders? I thought my KH29 frame was wonky when I first put it together, but it was just that the bearing holders had too much paint on them and the bearings wouldn’t go in all the way. Have a look at the gaps between the bearing holder caps and the frame - should be the same on both sides if the bearings are in evenly.

Rob

The bearings are in evenly.

My wheel isn’t centered, but I just put piece of paper in the bearing holder until it is centered. You could do that too, less trouble and it works well!:wink:

A new frame is in order as long as the bearings are seating fully in the holders, and the wheel stays to the right whichever way it’s installed. If you aren’t sure, and you want a solid opinion, you can go to a good bike shop and they should be able to help you determine if the frame is not right.

I know that this is a small community, and that we are trying to support the people bringing innovative stuff into our market, but it does not help anyone when we accept improperly made equipment. The quality control needs to be up to the price that is being asked for the equipment.

A new frame is in order as long as the bearings are seating fully in the holders, and the wheel stays to the right whichever way it’s installed. If you aren’t sure, and you want a solid opinion, you can go to a good bike shop and they should be able to help you determine if the frame is not right.

I know that this is a small community, and that we are trying to support the people bringing innovative stuff into our market, but it does not help anyone when we accept improperly made equipment. The quality control needs to be up to the price that is being asked for the equipment.

I flipped the wheel around to take pics and then it was fine. :thinking: I don’t know how. So now it is fine if the wheel is on correctly but is tilted if i put the wheel on backwards.

Here is a pic of the wheel on backwards-

Here it is on correctly-

I know it looks slightly off but that is just the pic.

Are we looking at the front of the frame in both pics?

There might be something on one of your bearings that’s making it not sit correctly. Secondly, are you looking at more than one point on the wheel (spinning it, and it’s consistently bad or good all the way around)?

Im spinning it and you are looking at the front on both pics.

It sounds like you have a bit of both problems. The dish (centering between the bearings) is off on your wheel, and your frame is a bit off as well. An easy way to check the dish is to tie a loop into a piece of string and loop it around your spindle. Put it up against the bearing and pull it tight to the edge of the rim. Make a mark on the string where it meets the rim. Now do the same thing on the other side, and if it is dished correctly the mark you made should line up in the same spot on the rim. If it doesn’t it means your rim isn’t centered between the bearings.

Since it centers one way and not the other my guess is that with a properly dished wheel it would be off center both ways. Also, it won’t be as significant as it seems now.

I checked how the wheel was dished and it looks good. Were thinking of taking it into a bike shop and seeing if they can help.

we took it in to the lbs and he got the wheel centered. But when I flip the wheel around the tire rubs on the leg of the frame. Can I tell if the problem is in the frame now?

If the wheel is definitely straight and centred on the hub, and the bearings are going all the way into the holders, and there are no blobs of paint or other obstructions in the bearing holders, then it sounds like the frame is either bent or one fork leg is longer than the other.

If the bike shop was able to straighten the wheel so that it is centered when the wheel is on the correct way. It would seem that you’ve solved your problem and should just ride it that way as long as the spokes are very tight. What difference does it make if you flip the wheel around and the tire isn’t centered within the frame, you’re not going to ride it that way. The wheel isn’t any weaker because it was adjusted to center it within the frame. Stop stressing over it and just ride it.

tapeman, did you buy it new? Or used or build it from parts or what? That really is going to dictate what you should/can do next.

If you got it used, then shim and adjust the wheel until it’s straigth in one direction (which it sounds like you have it now) otherwise take it up with where you got it from.

Both KH and UDC are very good about making things right.

I got the wheel used and the frame new.