Ken Looi in Bangkok Hospital with Broken Leg?

oooooch.

Ken,
Sorry to hear about this! I hope you have a speedy and complete recovery. Glad to hear that you have found good care and are being tended to. I have never broken a long bone, so it sounds just awful.

I have been following the tour, too, and I imagine it is a big disappointment for you and everyone, too. I imagine the riders will finish up and give you a hero’s welcome back at port.

You’re a one-of-a-kind visionary/adventurer, and I suppose this kind of thing comes with the territory.

Mend quickly!
Blake

You are totaly my idol. I would totaly have just been like, crap I’m stuck in laos, leg is broken and I’m riding a unicycle. Screw this and lie down and wait for someone else to do what needed to be done.

It’s really sad to hear something like that, but I’m glad to hear that everyone else is still continuing and enjoying it.

Congradulations on getting what is probably the most popular cast for unicyclists the world around.

Here is my signature!:smiley:

signature.PNG

Sorry to hear of your accident Ken…but your bravery and postive outlook is an inspiration.

I wish you a speedy and complication free recovery. :slight_smile:

Hello Ken,

Sorry to hear about your leg injury, and that it ended your uni-touring.

After reading your brave description of the injury, I’m sure you own Chuck Norris.

Get well soon!

Hey, I think that’s my Coker behind the sexy babe! I took home the “demonstrator” model from Unicon 11, and I think it may have been the one that was photographed for the web site.

wow that really is a crazy story you have there, I figured you would be done with broken bones on uni tours after nepal, but it just shows you how anything can happen.

I wish you the best as always ken, rest up and hopefully when your ready to finish the tour I will be able to fly out and make the ride with you.

Mike

Re: Ken Looi in Bangkok Hospital with Broken Leg?

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 08:02:52 -0600, GizmoDuck wrote:

>So now I’m a bit sore

This must be the understatement of the year.

What bad timing for an injury, on such a great adventure. Of course,
this is an adventure in itself, but not exactly of the kind that most
people would aspire. No photos yet?

Here’s wishing you a miraculously speedy recovery without
complications, infections etc.

I wish you all the best, and get well soon, Ken.

This must have been a horrible crash… .

j.

Ken,

Thanks for the update! We’ve all been worried. Thank you so much for organizing this tour. I was looking forward to riding more with you, and I hope your recovery goes well. We arrived today in Veintiane. The rest of the tour was injury free except for Nick getting skinned elbows to match his knees. This tour was fantastic, and a real eye-opener. I hope to ride with you again on a future tour.

Mike.

I bet the cast signed by the LUT riders could be auctioned off as a piece of uni-memorobilia for a pretty penny. Why not have Oxfam benefit from the accident?

What can I say but echo what everyone else has said.
Oh yeah, and how’s the uni?

Cathy

Ouch, get well soon Ken, hope it fixes quick and doesn’t keep you from riding for too long!

sorry to hear this rather sad new. get well soon from myself and all the other kiwi riders. be safe brother

Thanks for all the messages of support everyone, I’ve enjoyed reading them. Maestro8- that pic would make a great T-shirt methinks. Thank you :slight_smile:

The Laos Unitour concluded last night with a 90km ride into Vientienne. You can bet that most of the riders are going to be pretty sore. I’ve updated up to Day 8, but the hopelessly slow hospital dialup doesn’t let me upload photos very well, so that might have to wait until I get home. It’s been a pleasure to organise, and I enjoyed riding every minute of it.

Plan now is hopefully to fly home early next week. I’m walking about on one foot- I find it more efficient than crutches. I’ll be non-weight bearing for about 6wks, and then partially weight bearing for 6wks. Hoping to get back to work next month once they let me put some weight on it. I’m supposed to be on intravenous Antibiotics for about 3wks. The hospital is really nice, more like a hotel room than a hospital bed. A lot of foreign tourists come here for their elective surgery.

I think some of the riders are dropping by this weekend so look forward to catching up on the rest of the tour.

Thanks again everyone!

Ken

Wow.

Hope you have a speedier-than-normal recovery!

Inspirational Attitude!

Ken,
I was suprised to read that you had broken your leg on the tour. I have been trying to cut back on my Forum time to make time for living, so I just read this thread from begining to end. With your positive outlook, I am sure you will not only heal perfectly, but quickly. Good thing there was a Doctor around when you fell. I am sure having that immediate care will help prevent complications.:wink: I am sure it will seem like no time before you are back on top, and setting new heights for all of us to strive for.

ps. Did you get any pics? :astonished:

Ken…we missed you so much on the second half of the tour and you would’ve loved it. It’s great that we’re all here in Vientiene now safely with no other problems that a few bandaids couldn’t fix.

The tour was great overall, other than the accident. Long hard days! Climbing 1800m in a 78km day, then going 95km the next day while cranking up another 1000m. The last two days totalled over 200km and the flat riding took it’s toll on most of us. An especially cool thing is that with 19 (and then 18) riders, we didn’t have any friction or clashes at all. Everyone just gets along! Even with stressful situations like loading the truck each of the last two days at 5:15am.

Laos is an amazing country. It’s been open for about 10 years so come visit soon before it changes too much more.

Ken, we’ll see you in Bangkok tomorrow. We should be there early, like 8am or so. Hope that is ok. Then, off to California.

—Nathan

Ken, I’m very very sorry to hear about your fall and injury. Really an unfortunate ending for you of an event you’ve put so much heart and energy into it. I’m glad to see the other riders finished strong and maximized the spirit of the ride. I’ve just been checking through the tour site and the photos you posted in the other thread…what a fantastic event.

Your posts–and more importantly your actions and accomplishments–have given me a lot of inspiration as a novice distance rider, and have helped me challenge myself to push past what I thought were the limits of my capabilities. I’m sure I’m not the only one here in that camp.

I hope you have a very speedy recovery, and are back to pounding out the miles in short order.

Tom

First things first, Ihope you a speedy and easy recovery on this mis-hap. Secondly because of you i have decided to get a coker sometime to learn distance riding and become fitter. I already have a kh trials and my goal is to do trials/street riding and distance riding.

Mike

Ken,
I’m sorry to hear about your crash and hope you get well soon!! Are you planning to go to Unicon and if so will your leg be OK by then??