Ken Looi in Bangkok Hospital with Broken Leg?

Wow, that seems like an adventure you could have done without. But what a story… Glad you’re doing OK, and I truly feel bad for all the time and effort you put into that event only to have it all god bad for you. Good luck with your recovery.

OUCH!!!

Probably because he had to. No one knows better than a doctor the hazards of such an open wound on a road somewhere in Laos. Lucky for Ken (and us) he’s a really tough guy! We know this from his 24 hr record and other extreme athletic endeavors.

But it sure must’ve hurt! a friend of ours broke his wrist in multiple places when we were in Hawaii a couple years back. He slipped on a wet floor and straight-armed his landing, apparently. I didn’t see it, but I did see when he lifted his arm up and his hand shifted. Eww. What do you call a multiple fracture without skin penetration? That’s what he had. I know it was painful as hell, and we couldn’t seem to convince the ambulance crew that came of the seriousness of the injury. They put a lame splint on him and told us to drive him the 45 mins. to the hospital. In the rain. Then a cop followed us until I speeded, and pulled me over to warn me to drive safe. Thanks a lot. I had actually passed out for a few seconds while we were waiting for the ambulance. I assumed the ambulance crew (they were clearly not paramedics) would figure out the nature of the injury but apparently not. I didn’t want to speak up in front of Kelly either, as I don’t think he realized his hand was disconnected either.

Anyway we’re all pulling for you here at the Unicyclist community, and sorry you didn’t get to finish the ride. But regardless of anything else, you are the reason Oxfam is some thousands of dollars richer. Everyone, don’t forget to donate if you can!

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Best wishes for a full recovery, Ken! Yet another adventure for the one and only “AdventureUnicyclist”!
Pete Perron

Wow, that news is painful to hear. I hope you heal fast, Ken.

I still did half the tour! :smiley:

The Laos tour was awesome and I really enjoyed organising it so please don’t feel sorry for me. There are 18 other unicyclists doing something very special and unique. Not everyday you get a bunch of unicyclists from 6 countries riding across Laos. And they’re still going- the tour finishes in Vientienne tomorrow.

And no it didn’t hurt that much. I was more concerned about the fact it was an open wound and the risk of getting an infection. Yanking it straight is just common sense medical practice.

Off to bed now. I’ll try to post some updates if I can get the hospital dialup system to upload the photos.

I told you Ken was tough.

Going AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUGH!!! would be common human practice… :slight_smile:

Awesome attitude, Ken. What unfortunate timing for an injury. Mind you, if you are going to be injured, it IS nice to have a good story to go along with it. A highspeed unicycling accident in Laos qualifies as a spectacular story!

Hope it all heals up fast and sound!

The reports from LUT are fantastic! Good work on organizing what sounds like an amazing tour.

andrea

Best wishes Ken, for an infection free recovery.

Thank goodness for “sag” wagons.

We are here for yuh!

cheers

mine!! :stuck_out_tongue:

YEEAAAOOOOHHH!! What a horrific injury!! :astonished:

I pray for a speedy and complication free recovery.

Get well soon. :slight_smile:

Boy Ken that really sucks! Hope you get better quickly and it all heals well! Then we can do the ride you were planning on organising somewhere around the south island :stuck_out_tongue:

As you said, I’m glad you atleast got to enjoy the half of the tour you were able to do! Good luck on a quick infectionless healing.

Hey Ken. I’m sorry to hear about your accident and hope that all goes well. You and I haven’t met yet, but as fellow unicyclists, we’re like cousins, and as fellow distance-ridin’ guni’ists, we’re almost brothers. So it pained me to read about your spill.

As alluded to earlier in this thread, I too have suffered a spill due to the disengaged 1st gen hub, but luckily for me, it happened when I was going uphill (and a lot slower). As a result of the way I was leaning, I fell straight backwards without even time to put out my arms. Luckier still, I landed on my fanny pack and grazed the back of my helmet but suffered no injuries at all. I nervously rode the rest of my errand, got home, and immediately wrote to Florian. He suggested not changing gears while riding and I listened to his advice, but still the hub disengaged three more times under fairly ideal circs. It was never due to an accidental brushing-up against the button, as someone here suggested, but it may have been due to the lose crank my guni developed.

You’re obviously feeling better mentally than physically, which is a testament to you. Keep smiling, and keep enjoying the ride vicariously. Hang in there, bro.

And if you get really bored, you can read my blog!

David

Shouldn’t that card read, “Get WHEEL soon”?

David

gizmo… bumer. get well soon.

That’s some pretty rotten luck. Here’s to a speedy recovery and return to your adventurous ways!

Re: Ken Looi in Bangkok Hospital with Broken Leg?

David_Stone wrote:
> I landed on my fanny pack and grazed the back of
> my helmet

ROFL

Sorry to appear unsympathetic, and the above statement may not be funny
in American, but in English it is absolutely hilarious.

Danny Colyer <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

Wow, this is terrible to hear. I hope you have a smooth recovery, Ken. Your doing a lot for the unicycling community and for the oxfam charity. The Laos tour is an amazing adventure. It’s too bad you had to go through this. At least you didn’t have to look too far to find a doctor.