japanese translation of "trials"

Today I was trying to determine the japanese translation of the word “trials” (I am minoring in Japanese FYI) and am not quite sure which word is best.

1- shiken (trials as in test) or
2- kokoromi (trials as in attempt)

which is better?

As a person of full Japanese descent, thus qualifying me as an expert, I can tell you that I have no idea.

Daniel

since shiken is usually used as meaning a school test, i think this may not be best. kokoromi comes from the verb kokoromiru (which is the most common word for “try”). the problem is that it would be better to use a less common word for the name of the sport (it wouldnt be as cool to call “trials” riding “attempt” riding or “try” riding). so another word may be tameshi (from the verb tamesu). i think kokoromi would be best since it sounds like kokoro which means heart, or mind, and represents the soul.

neither, the correct word is in fact: kokoromishirubiteakwanswansushieskouatonatakonkkukurukidukiwookie…

I would dig up what the Japanese call Bike Trials, and use that. Surely that sport exists over there.

Both ‘attempt’ and ‘test’ fit well. Though I prefer test, we should go with existing terminology.

Or ask the Japanese Trials unicyclists, if there are any yet.

okay, this is my final comment on this pointless thread (maybe).

Upon doing some research, I leared that there is no recognized japanese word for trials. Japanese has an alphabet specifically for foreign words and so they are basically just the english words with a japanese sound. so trials is “toriaru” and unicycle trials is “yunitora” (the japanese often condense these foreign words so this example combines the first half of unicycle and trials). this is disappointing since i was hoping it would be something cool, like kokoromi.

I still enjoyed it. :slight_smile:

my bet is that they use the word ‘trials’. except the ‘L’ is probably pronounced like an ‘R’.

the japanese word for tape recorder is “taperecorder” or something like that. here’s an interesting related site

if i’m correct, do i win something?

-eric

by the way, muniracer, you never replied to my last post on the “literature thread” in just conversation.

The verb in Thai of “to get thoroughly wet” is “soak”. Aint that weird?

I’m not sure I follow…

are you saying Japanese people have their own language, then a secondary language consisting of ‘japanesed’ foreign words?

yes

There are not actually two languages, just two alphabets, hiragana and katakana (plus kanji which is another story altogether, and not including furigana which is just hiragana in disguise!). Hiragana is used for native japanese words. Katakana is used for foreign words, often used in advertising, and is frequently used for emphasis in manga (japanese comics) as well as other literature.

Why in the world would anyone ever minor or major in Japanese?!
This coming from someone curretnly studying Japanese full-time in Japan.

It’s actually fun, painfull, but fun. Like unicycling!

Norman
Aira, Japan

thanks for clearing that up. i dont really know why i am minoring in japanese. i dont like anime, manga, or japanese music. its just a cool, cool language.

Muniracer (and anyone else interested in Japanese)

If you really want to learn kanji you should get “Remembering the Kanji” by James Heisig. It is a 3 volume set but you really only need vol 1. It is a method of learning the meaning and method of writing for about 2000 kanji. I found it very helpful. It is all in English and doesn’t teach you the readings of any kanji (that’s vol 2). Vol. 3 is another 1000 kanji. Gambare!

Norman
Aira, Japan

Re: japanese translation of “trials”

johnfoss wrote:

>I would dig up what the Japanese call Bike Trials, and use that. Surely
>that sport exists over there.
>
>Both ‘attempt’ and ‘test’ fit well. Though I prefer test, we should go
>with existing terminology.
>
>Or ask the Japanese Trials unicyclists, if there are any yet.
>
>
> =20
>
All the words you are discussin are possible translations but non are
appropriate in the
sports context. Trial is TORAIARU (=83g=83=89=83C=83A=83=8B if you can di=
splay
Japanese), derived from
Emnglsh, as are most sports related words.

>–
>johnfoss - Home of the Garage Page
>
>John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
>“jfoss” at “unicycling.com
>www.unicycling.com
>
>“Wow, I’ll never complain about hills ever again!” – Bicyclist on the
>American River Bike Path, watching me pass on my Coker on my way to work
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>johnfoss’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
>View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/31230