Is your Chocolate foot the same on a bike?

I’ve recently gotten into learning how to do basic freeriding on my bike I found that my chocolate foot is oppisite than what it is on my uni though. Anyone else find this to be the case or is this just another thing to reassure me being strange…

Chex

My feet are both the same color and they both taste the same (I left it to my dog to determine this). How do I know which one is chocolate?

When I ride a bike, foot dominance doesn’t seem very important. I always get on from the left side, and if I level the pedals for going over stuff it’s usually with my dominant foot to the rear, same as on a unicycle.

Re: Is your Chocolate foot the same on a bike?

for a bike the chocolate foot is in the front, right?

For uni - preferred foot in front (choco foot) is the left.
Slalom water skiing and skateboarding are (well, used to be) left foot.
For bike - left is preferred a little but not much. It’s certainly is different on a bike.

Bill

Chocolate foot is front foot.
my chocolate foot for biking is the same as uni.

billham-are you talking about trials, downhill, road, freeride, urban, or what kind of biking?
From the forums I have been on(trials), it seems that a majority of the riders’ chocolate foot is right.

john

I’ve also heard people call their rear foot their chocolate foot. Which is your chocolate foot when you do a rolling hop? Is it the rear foot? What’s the chocolate foot when doing a still stand? What’s the chocolate foot when mounting? What’s the chocolate foot when pecking up a hill? What’s the chocolate foot when landing a drop? Does the chocolate foot change for different situations?

This whole chocolate foot thing is confusing. The chocolate foot means different things to different people. This whole chocolate foot thing is useless as a way to describe foot position because it means something different to different people.

I vote that we stop using chocolate foot to refer to foot position or to your favorite foot or to your strong foot or to your front foot or to your rear foot or to your dessert foot. What’s the usefulness of a descriptive term with a vague meaning?

For me, I do almost all of my jumping with my strong foot back. I still stand with my strong foot back. I’m most comfortable with my strong foot back. Does that mean that my chocolate foot is my rear foot?

Instead of using “chocolate foot” call it your strong foot. When referring to foot position you should then go on to explain whether the strong foot is forward or back for a particular move. Doing so will clear up all sorts of confusion and improve communication.

I am right handed.

Skateboarding left foot forward.
Unicycling left foot back.
Bike left foot back, only slight preference.

I think i may prefer my left foot for agility… I kick a ball with my right foot, but I learned to 1ft with my left first.

i think for uni the chocolate foot is the foot in back and for bike it is the foot in front. when you unicycle you use your back foot (especially in trials) to keep the wheel steady. for bikes, since pedalling backwards does nothing, the front foot does everything.

Double chocolate for me.

I’m surprised that you people don’t have a definate preference for biking (I assumed you meant mountain biking).

My left foot is in front in both cases for me.

Andrew

Yeah, me too. Go lefty southpaws!

johnglazer - I’m talking about mountain biking. But I loved to work on riding through a technical section, but always riding, did very little trials type moves. By the way, my mountain bike is getting pretty bored these days. Uni is my first preference without a doubt.

john childs - Good point on the verbage. Sometimes it’s hard to come up with a clear descriptive term and then get universal acceptance for it. Slang terms are so much fun sometimes! Chocolate foot has a great sound to it.

TonyMelton - Are you implying that a left hander puts the left foot forward? My brother and I are both right handed, but her prefers right foot forward and I prefer left. doesn’t seem to tie in with the left or right handed thing.

Bill

Yup, that makes it even more useless as a term to use for unicycling. In juggling (and physical education) we always referred to the dominant and non-dominant sides. That’s something the “pro’s” use. Though more of a hassle to spell, I think it’s more accurate than strong and whatever the opposite of that would be.

I am right-handed and right foot dominant. That means I mount with my right foot, and hop with right foot back. I think I do the same but I’m not a technical bike rider. Mostly I take advantage of the bike’s inherent abilities and coast over the nasty stuff when I can!