If you could only have one unicycle?

Hey Alucard!
Since you are now “in love” with your 29"…
has your answer to the question changed?

Ah ha,:smiley:
You got me there 57 :roll_eyes: . Yup, I had soo much fun on my 29’’ that I have changed my mind.
29’’ please :smiley:
I purchased a new tyre today, a specialized ‘Fast track’. It looks like it will be good for doing muni and road riding. I’ll let you know how I get on with it.

:d

I like my 26 now with the Hookworm. Smooth as silk on pavement and is fine on grass too. Alucard - great that you love your 29 now. I just felt it was too high. Maybe I tried it too soon. The 26 feels just right. Joggerdude, you should at least get a 26. Think it would be a good all around size for you.

KH29 with disc brake, T-bar and a 3 gears hub :thinking:

Be sure to post your review here too! In fact, it’s funny that you’ve got a Fast Trak - I was wondering what they’re like (after seeing on in an LBS).

I’ve given this some thought, and the obvious choice would be my 29’er because that’s my only ride all winter (which is almost half the year). I can get a studded tyre for it, and the wheelsize seems perfect on ice and snowy bikepaths. It is generally the most versatile wheelsize all year.

BUT: If I only could have one uni, I would not compromise. I could never give up my 36’er.:slight_smile:

bouin-bouin :slight_smile:
It was only a Wish List :stuck_out_tongue:
Okay I’ll settle for two gears. :roll_eyes:

Unibiddy :slight_smile: I think I got mine too soon as well so that’s why it spent time in the attic. Then I got my 26’’ Oracle and there didn’t seem an awful lot of difference in size. So last hols I decided to take the 29’’ thinking ‘‘it’s now or never’’.
We started the holiday off in a campsite in Cumbria which has some woods nearby. The dirt paths are fairly level with a few tree roots here and there. Well, we’d been here before on our last hols when I had my 26’’ muni. It was fun then, so I thought ‘‘well I can only but try’’. So try I did, and I had a whale of a time. I kept on going over bumps, tree roots, through puddles etc and I kept thinking ‘‘Wow" I can’t believe I’m still on’’! all that on a smooth tyre :slight_smile:
Then off to Scotland with miles of quiet single tracked roads. By the end of our hols I’d done over 50 miles, and could freemount on a slight upwards slope, all on 137’s :slight_smile:

I saw a Hookworm in the cyle shop when I was buying my Fast Trak, they look a real good tyre. Hubbs says he had something similar but much much bigger on his motorbike. Right off to do my tyre review on the tyre review thread now:)

:slight_smile:

I have changed my mind, a fat g29

Probably a 24 with an extra street tire. Could do muni, and could still do freestyle/flatland/trials riding. Could use it for general street riding, but long distance riding would be a bummer. Well, you said choose 1. You would have to sacrifice somewhere.

But, if it was a Guni, then in high gear it would go the same speed as a 36er.

Really? A geared 24 would go the same speed as a 36? I bet it would feel real twitchy at that speed though.

I am looking forward to someone letting me try their geared uni at the nationals. I’ve never ridden one. Next thing you know I’ll want a geared 36:D

Yes, the gearing ratio for the high gear of a schlumpf hub is ~1:1.5 and 1.5x24"+36".:smiley:

Or a g12

Except the gold, that’s what what the frames were like of bicycle racing (TdF) team “Cafe D’ Columbia”: filled with cocaine!

And back in WO2 tires were popular to hide money, and frames to hide false ID’s for jews.

Not gold or cocaine, but Ti and CF, together my currently favorite unicycle:

• CF Seat-base of Axel, with front only two holes, in stead of 4.
  • handle-less bumpers (as IMHO they have more disadvantages than usefulness)
  • Cylinder head nuts, as bolt ends and threat hurts for no reason The ones holding the bumpers may even be nylon, it feels less cold
  • Impact seat post - as unfortunely the Koxx Pitfighter2 doesn't fit
  • Double bolt clamp, as adjusting over and over again sucks.
  • 20" Nimbus Ti, that I don't think is any different than the very last model of DM Unicycles was, except CNC'ed bearing holders. Correct me if I'm wrong; credit to Roger for the crazy investment and outsourcing to Taiwan. Credit for design to David Mariner (who had to quit because of too expensive labor in the UK). It comes with a price, but also I think the Ti welds hidden inside makes it much better than the DM's were in 1998. I'm not sure, but the mentioned cups seem to be machined after welding, or else the welding is even more amazing precise.
  • Ti hub of Exceed, again CNC'ed after welding
  • CF spacers, they simply look nice, and I like the special material
  • Somewhat shitty bearings, as there is nothing better for ISIS
  • Ti spokes (bare, not weakened by anodizing), laced x1
  • Ti spoke nipples, just because it's possible
  • Concave rim with X spoking, and trial holes drilled inside (not visible when tires are mounted)
  • wide trial rim tape, although nobody sees it: clean white.
  • Foss innertube 1.95, as correct sizing of this one is important This innertube is not the ideal combination with the trail holes in the rim. And it's lifespan is not equally larger than it's price, compare to butyl innertubes.
  • Oddeysy Path 2.1 white, that -like the Primo The Wall- is now EOL :( Another option is the Suelo Silkworm, a special flatland tyre, very thin and slick.
  • Nimbus Venture2 125mm, which I think -due to it's shape- is the strongest light-weight crank
  • Echo TR with Ti axle, and my own tubes of PET (extreme temper-proof, contrary to the usual caging), with skate grip (grinded glass).
But, if the 1-unicycle-only-diet takes forever, then probably I might rather stick with a Semcycle Pro 20"; as they proofed (also to me) to last decades, and their comfort has no compare. As a matter of fact, the above listed unicycle is causing me pains, due to lack of decent suspension (and minor but constant impact on my spinal cord).

I’ve joined the 26 crowd. :smiley:
( It took me long enough! )

Right now I’ve got a plain ol’ 26" Torker LX with 140mm cranks.

If I were going to splurge and get a really good one,
…which 26 should I get?

All of my riding is on pavement (streets with a bit of camber).
There are no hills or trails where I live.

I really like my Oracle 26 with a hookworm tire. Nice and smooth. Am finally learning to use the brake. With it being so flat, you probably don’t need a brake!

Hi Young at Heart!

I’ve been hearing about the
Hookworm tire
off and on for a couple of years now.
What is it that you like about it?

About that brake…
You are probably right about not needing one around here.
The biggest “hills” around here are the camber in the streets.

I like how it has a lot of volume and rolls fast