I think I'm going to buy a Sun 28"

I’ve been searching for quite a while, and I still can’t find it cheaper than $99 including shipping (which is cheaper than unicycle.com’s $17 shipping.)
Any advice or clues about this $65 place?

Re: I think I’m going to buy a Sun 28"

“Skippii” <Skippii@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> I’ve been searching for quite a while, and I still can’t find it cheaper
> than $99 including shipping (which is cheaper than unicycle.com’s $17
> shipping.)
> Any advice or clues about this $65 place?

If I read Roger’s article correctly, the Unicycle.com Sun 29"er comes
with a quality rim and a highly rated tire - well worth the extra
cost. Assuming the cheaper versions have inferior parts, that is.
Make sure you are comparing Big Apples to Big Apples.

Ken

i bought a sun 26" off ebay about a year ago now and it has served me wonderfully! i have put hundreds of miles on it and so far upgraded the seat, shortened the cranks and put metal pedals on it. mostly it was swaping parts around form different unicycles. the only real problem i discovered with it was the seatpost clamp which broke after about 3 months. this was from me learning how to ride and constantly adjusting it and over tightneing.

if i could do it all agian i would check ebay for when the sun 28" unicycles come up with an alloy rim they are 10$ more and really really nice.

i you do buy a sun on ebay a 26 or a 28 take it imediatly to a bike shop get the wheel trued the set post clamp replaced to somthing with an allenkey bolt and off you go thi should last you till the tire balds. mine is finally had it and im shortening the cranks to 3.5" and replacing the tire with a hookworm 26.

This one claims to have an alloy wheel and free shipping

Here

Wow, you must live closer to that store than I did when I used to live in Wantagh! Ever ride the Greenbelt trail? Or the Jones Beach bike path?

Back to the subject: The Sun has the distinction of being the cheapest large wheel unicycle you can buy. It gets to be that way by using less-expensive parts, and presumably less-expensive labor to put it together. The qualit of the wheel build may not be so great (though it may be built by the same machines that do other brands’ wheels). So with lower price you have higher risk of failure.

Also you have a higher liklihood of need for upgrades, which will up your overall cost. New seat, shorter cranks, etc. If you have those in mind, consider a unicycle that might already come with them. Otherwise, for light riding, I’m sure the Sun will hold up fine.

I’ve ridden bikes on both paths. Actually Wantagh is closer to Sunrise Cyclery, i’m in Plainview/Bethpage right OFF the Greenbelt. My friend rides his Coker on the greenbelt almost daily, I can barelly ride a bike in there let alone the uni. I’m working on it though. Right now I’m using the Sun 28" for plain street commuting, so i’m not worried about the rim. I’ll only need to upgrade the seat.